Kidderminster Harriers 1(0) v (0)0 Darlington

Football League 2 - Aggborough - 14 August 2004

Attendance: 2303

Individual Stats
v Darlington
John Danby 8 0(5)0000[15/23]Sam Russell 5 0(2)0000
Lee Jenkins 6 0 0 1 0 0 [2] Ryan Valentine 5 0 0 0 2 0
Steve Burton 6 0 0 0 0 0 [3/26] Curtis Fleming 5 0 0 1 0 0
Wayne Hatswell 5 0 1 3 0 0 [22/4] Craig Liddle 5 0 1 0 3(1p) 0
Adrian Viveash 6 0 1 3 2 0 [21/6] Joe Hutchinson 5 0 0 2 2 0
Dean Keates 6 0 0 2 0 0 [11/10] Clark Keltie 5 0 2 0 2 0
Simon Brown 6 0 3 1(1p) 0 2 [7] Neil Wainwright 6 2(2) 1 0 2 0
Micky Mellon 5 0 0 1 1 0 [8/9] Stephen Thomas 5 1(1) 1 0 2 0
Youssou Diop 5 0 2 2 2 3 [10/5] Matt Clarke 5 1(1) 2 0 5 1
Frédéric Advice 5 0 0 2 0 0 [6/14] Craig Russell 6 1(1) 1 2 1 1
Ian Foster 7 3(2) 3 3 0 1 [16] Joe Kendrick 5 0 0 0 1 0
Jesper Christiansen 5 01100[12/8]Ian Clark 5 00000
Chris McHale     [17/11]Mark Convery 5 00000
Simon Russell     [19/17]Chris Hughes     
Scott Rickards 5 00000[20/22]Neil Maddison 5 00000
Daniel Lewis     [1]Michael Price      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 5 6 3 3 11
Darlington 20 2 3 5 8
Kidderminster Darlington
50Ian Foster Penalty to Russell's left with the keeper diving in the opposite direction.    
JenkinsHatswell ViveashBurton
 Mellon Keates 
Brown Advice Foster
  C. Russell  
ValentineLiddle HutchinsonFleming
WainwrightThomas KeltieKendrick
 Clarke C. Russell  
Kidderminster Darlington
60 BrownAdvice to right wing.  Now 4-2-2-1. 58ClarkKendrickClark to left midfield.
68ChristiansenDiopChristiansen to striker. 77ConveryWainwrightConvery to attacking midfield, Valentine to right midfield, Hutchinson to central defender, Fleming to left central defender.
87RickardsMellonRickards to right wing, Advice to right central midfield. 77MaddisonThomasMaddison to left central midfield, Keltie to right central midfield.  Now 3-4-1-2.
Kidderminster Darlington
Hatswell 43 Foul
Brown 60 Unsporting Behaviour
Brown 60 Dissent
Advice 80 Dissent
Brown 60 Persistent Misconduct Clarke 72 Foul 
Referee: S. Tanner (Gloucestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

John Danby was the Harriers hero with two crucial saves in the last five minutes of the game to deny Darlington a point and earn Harriers their first win of the season.  At the same time he stretched his personal record to 409 minutes since he last conceded a goal; Harriers are now the only team yet to concede in League Two.

Fielding an unchanged side from the one that drew with Notts County in midweek, Harriers yet again failed to get into their stride in the early stages and the visitors were therefore on top for the first 10 to 20 minutes.  The Quakers could have taken an early lead but came up against an in-form Danby; Steve Thoms saw a shot saved and then shot over the bar and Neil Wainwright had a shot saved all inside the opening ten minutes.

When Harriers finally got going it was through Simon Brown that the creativity came; he beat his marker, turnign him inside out, before rolling the ball into the path of Youssou Diop who found himself in space with time but his shot was weak and off target.  Moments later Brown hit a 25-yard shot that flew only just over the bar.  Harriers weren't fully into their stride, however, and allowed Darlington to break; Wainwright was left free to run from deep and get a shot in but it was straight at Danby.  Before the break, Harriers had one more chance with a free kick that Diop curled over the wall and over the bar.

Harriers seemed to have had a rollicking from Jan Molby at the interval as they came out for the second half with more purpose in their play.  A long ball through the inside right channel from Wayne Hatswell picked out Brown who jinked across the face of the penalty area and fed Ian Foster who curled a shot back across goal and wide of the far post.  Five minutes into the second period Harriers took the lead; Brown broke into the penalty area and was bundled over by Darlington captain Craig Liddle, referee Steve Tanner had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Foster stepped forward to take the penalty.  Foster confidently despatched his shot to the keeper's left with Russell going the wrong way.

On the hour mark events took a downward turn for the home team, Brown kicked the ball away to prevent Darlington taking a quick throw-in and was shown the yellow card.  Less than sixty seconds later Brown broke through the Darlington backline and was flagged offside but decided to shoot anyway, another yellow card was swiflty shown and the on-loan attacker was heading back for an early bath.

Darlington saw their chance to get back into the game and possibly preserve their unbeaten start to the campaign and substitute Ian Clark made a surging run on the left wing, his cross to the far post beat Danby for once but Steve Burton was on hand to head it away.  Matt Clarke flicked a long ball into the path of Craig Russell but he dragged his shot wide.  Harriers weren't always on the defensive, they maintained their shape with three attackers, and could have added asecond goal in the closing minutes when Jesper Christiansen, on for the injured Diop, broke clear on hte left and knocked the ball back to Foster who shot straight at Russell.

In the last five minutes Darlington threw everything forward; Craig Russell received the ball inside the penalty area and made a good turn and got off a snap shot that Danby did well to parry and then in stoppage time a left-wing corner was only half cleared and when the ball was played back in from the opposite flank Clarke's glancing header seemed certain to find the top corner but Danby somehow found an extra inch in his arm and tipped it away to safety.