Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (1)2 West Bromwich Albion

Friendly - Aggborough - 24 July 2009

Attendance: 1057

Individual Stats
Kidderminster v WBA
Dean Coleman[1]Ryan Allsop
Duane Courtney[2]Ashley Lovett
Lee Baker[3]Kayo Brown
Martin Riley[4]Joss Labadie
Gavin Caines[5]Paul Downing
Chris McPhee[6]Ashley Malcolm
Kyle Hadley[7]Josh Knight
Dean Bennett[8]Dave Worrell
Matt Barnes-Homer[9]Chris Wood
Aaron Farrell[10]Romaine Sawyers
Brian Smikle[11]Lateef Elford-Alliyu
David McDermott[12]Sam Mantom
Kyle Letheren[13]Jordan Tebbutt
Darryl Knights[14]Luke Connolly
Zac Costello[15]Liam O'Neill
Nathan Hayward[16]Lee Lynch
Liam Dolman[17]Akil Grier
Tom Sharpe[18]Ethan Mannion
-[20]Gez Mulholland
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster WBA
35Matt Barnes-Homer 28Josh KnightPenalty
58Kyle Hadley 83Lateef Elford-Alliyu 
Kidderminster WBA
46LetherenColeman 51ConnollyLovett 
63McDermottBennett 67MantomSawyers 
63KnightsFarrell 90+LynchKnight 
Kidderminster WBA
Referee: Rob Lewis (Shropshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers maintained their unbeaten pre-season record, stretching the run to six games, with a draw against a young West Bromwich Albion side at Aggborough.

Fielding a strong side, with only Gavin Caines from the pool of trialists in the starting line-up, Harriers played some excellent football, passing the ball around well and causing the visitors numerous problems.

Harriers were the better side but it was Albion who took the lead after 27 minutes in controversial circumstances.  Martin Riley was adjudged to have fouled Josh Knight in the penalty area but it was clear that the fouled took place outside the box; Josh Knight himself took the penalty and sent Dean Coleman the wrong way, the first goal that Coleman had conceded in pre-season and the first time that Harriers had been behind in a game.

Shortly afterwards Harriers could have drawn level; Matt Barnes-Homer won the ball on the right broke free of the defence and crossed to the far post where Chris McPhee rose to meet it but his header was saved by Ryan Allsop.  The equaliser came on 34 minutes, Brian Smikle crossing from the left for Barnes-Homer who forced his header in between Allsop and the post.  In stoppage time Smikle created another opening but this time his cross from the left was volleyed over the bar by Aaron Farrell.

Early in the second half Farrell went closer, running clear on the left before cutting inside and hitting a low shot that Allsop did well to keep out.  A lightning quick counter-attack on 57 minutes saw Kyle Hadley race clear of the visiting defence, with support from Farrell inside he instead chose to hit a swerving, dipping, shot that caught Allsop out at the near post as he anticipated the pass.

Trialist goalkeeper Kyle Letheren, on as a sub from half-time, was forced into action fourteen minutes from the end; Knight hit a blistering shot from the left wing that the keeper could only stand and watch as it flew past him but was alert to react when it crashed back off the bar and was able to pull off a good save to deny Lateef Elford-Alliyu.

Harriers were able to carve their way through the Albion defence almost at will in the second half; a Darryl Knights pass set up Barnes-Homer but his snap-shot was hit high and wide.  Eight minutes from the end Albion grabbed an equaliser that they didn't really deserve; Elford-Alliyu forcing the ball in after a goalmouth scramble, then shortly afterwards they nearly grabbed victory when Sam Mantom shot was saved well by Letheren but Elford-Alliyu blasted the loose ball over the bar.