Boston United 3(2) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers
Football League Division 3 - York Street - 22 February 2003
Attendance: 2485


Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Paul Bastock 60(1)0000[1/18]Fraser Digby 40(1)0000
Pat McCarthy 500310[23/7]Dean Bennett 600000
Ben Chapman 500000[3/11]Sam Shilton 500010
Stuart Balmer 500301[19/6]Adie Smith 601110
Matt Hocking 500300[12/25]Dion Scott 501020
Paul Ellender 501430[4/5]Craig Hinton 500300
Simon Weatherstone 711101[10/24]JJ Melligan 500000
Tom Bennett 502130[7/4]Danny Williams 500421
Peter Duffield 501131[9]Drewe Broughton 500020
Richard Logan 730013[31/12]Bo Henriksen 502170
James Gould 500000[14/21]Sean Flynn 501120
Liam George 52(1)0120[18/8]Sean Parrish 51(1)0000
David Town     [20/10]Ian Foster     
Ross Weatherstone 500000[22/16]Lee Ayres 500000
Stuart Douglas 501000[30/27]Andy Bishop 500020
MIchael Price     [/1]Stuart Brock     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Boston 136566
Kidderminster 181615
24 Richard Logan Harriers failed to clear their lines properly and Logan nipped in at the near post to lash the ball past Digby.      
44 Simon Weatherstone The ball was lifted over the Harriers defence and Weatherstone beat the offside trap to fire into the roof of the net.      
83 Richard Logan Raced onto a Bennett pass, held off the challenge of Ayres and slotted the ball under Digby.      
McCarthyBalmer HockingChampman
S.WeatherstoneBennett EllenderGould
 Duffield Logan 
Bennett   Shilton
 Broughton Henriksen 
36 George Gould George to left midfield. 46 Ayres Melligan Ayres to right central defender, Smith to right back, Scott to left central defender, Hinton to left back, Bennett to right midfield, Williams to right central midfield, Shilton to left midfield.  Now 4-4-2.
76 Douglas Duffield Douglas to striker. 66 Bishop Broughton Bishop to striker.
90+ R.Weatherstone Balmer R.Weatherstone to right central defender. 67 Parrish Shilton Parrish to left midfield.
        70   Bennett Flynn to right central midfield, Williams to central midfield, Parrish to left central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
    Henriksen 73 Foul  
Referee: E.Ilderton
Match Report by St@tto
Harriers were brought crashing back down to earth with a bump at lowly Boston.  After their midweek heroics at Exeter Harriers were second in every department and completely outplayed and outfought by a Boston team who were more up for the clash.
On one of the worst playing surfaces in the division Harriers started brightly, soaking up pressure from their hosts and coming close to opening the scoring on a couple of occasions.  After 15 minutes Sam Shilton's right wing corner was headed wide by Dion Scott and four minutes later Adie Smith carried the ball out of defence through the inside right channel but blazed his long range shot over the bar.
Boston took the lead after 23 minutes, Craig Hinton kept the ball in play on the left touchline rather than let it go out for a throw and it was played back into the danger area for Richard Logan to fire a shot inside the far post.  Two minutes later Tom Bennett hit a 25 yard shot just past the post as Harriers' defence fell to pieces.  Boston were winning the game in the midfield, all of their players closing down the Harriers much quicker and not letting them settle on the ball, and they adapted their style of play to the poor surface better and took a much more direct route forward than Harriers who too often tried to play football.
In the last minute of the half the home team doubled their advantage, the ball was played over the top of the Harriers defence and Simon Weatherstone, who had beaten the offside trap, hammered his shot into the roof of the net.
After the interval Harriers manager Ian Britton made a change in an attempt to shore up the defence, bringing on Lee Ayres in place of the ineffective JJ Melligan and switching to a 4-4-2 formation.  The move stemmed the flow of Boston attacks and allowed Harriers more possession but they never really threatened to get back into the game.  With twenty minutes remaining they suffered another setback when, with all of their substitutes used, Dean Bennett limped off with a hamstring innjury and they had to play out the rest of the game with ten men.
Thirteen minutes from the end home keeper Paul Bastock was finally called into action when Harriers managed their one and only on target goal attempt of the afternoon, Sean Parrish's volley being tipped over for a corner.  Boston added another goal in the closing minutes, Tom Bennett's pass set Logan free and he held off the challenge of Ayres before slotting his shot under Digby to complete a good afternoon's work for The Pilgrims.


Valid HTML 4.01