Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (0)1 Northwich Victoria
FA Cup Round 1 - Aggborough - 8 November 2003
Attendance: 2052

Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Stuart Brock 6 0(3)0000[1]Andy Woods 5 0(3)0000
Craig Hinton 5 00100[5/3]Lee Woodyatt 5 00110
Sam Shilton 6 00130[11/15]Kieran Charnock 5 00320
Adie Smith 5 00110[2/5]Mark Foran 6 1(1)0100
Wayne Hatswell 5 01100[22/4]Phil Brazier 5 00200
Sean Parrish 5 00010[14/12]Richard Norris 5 01100
Matt Gadsby 6 2(1)2010[6/22]Ryan Zico Black 6 0011(h)0
Dean Bennett 7 22020[7/27]Karl Murray 6 00300
John Williams 7 2(2)1200[9/11]Mark Devlin 5 1(1)2214
Andy White 7 0107(1h)2[25/23]Jonny Allen 5 01232
Danny Williams 6 02120[4/7]Steve Garvey 5 1(1)2100
Bo Henriksen 5 0411(h)0[12/8]Val Owen 5 00010
Lee Ayres     [16/9]Chris Thompson 6 10100
Matt Lewis 5 00000[17/19]Steve Walsh     
Rob Betts 5 00020[24/21]Mark Barnard     
John Danby     [15/12]Ben Connett     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 20210613
Northwich 96346
39 Dean Bennett Gadsby found space on the right and sent a looping cross to the far post where Bennett headed past Woods. 87 Chris Thompson A long punt from defence was not dealt with by the Harriers defence and Thompson turned and tucked it past Brock from the edge of the penalty area.
84 Dean Bennett Henriksen fed the ball to John Williams on the right and his cross to the far post found the unmarked Bennett who headed firmly into the net.      
HintonSmith HatswellShilton
 GadsbyParrishD. Williams 
 J. WilliamsWhiteBennett 
WoodyattForan BrazierCharnock
BlackMurray NorrisGarvey
 Allen Devlin 
61 Betts Gadsby Betts to right central midfield. 73 Thompson Black Thompson to right midfield.
62 Henriksen Parrish Henriksen to striker, Bennett to central midfield. 88 Owen Devlin Owen to right central midfield, Murray to right midfield, Thompson to striker.
86 Lewis J. Williams Lewis to striker.        
Referee: I. Williamson
Match Report by St@tto
Harriers edged into the Second Round of the FA Cup for just the fifth time in their 117-year history after being given a late scare by Conference strugglers Northwich.
Jan Molby made one enforced change to the side that had drawn with Cambridge in the previous game, bringing Sam Shilton back into the team at left back in place on the on-loan Steve Burton who Hull City would not allow to play.  Bo Henriksen also made a welcome return to the squad as one of the substitutes.  Harriers made the best of a scrappy opening and could have taken the lead after ten minutes when Andy White found John Williams on the right who got into the penalty area turning his marker inside out before firing a shot goalwards that Andy Woods did well to keep out.
Harriers didn't, however, play at the same tempo as they had done in the previous game and could not get their game to flow properly and although they dominated possession the breakthrough did not come.  The visitors did their best to frustrate Harriers and keep them at bay while not really threatening in attack.  Just before the half-hour mark John Williams had another chance with a shot on the turn that he lobbed just over the bar.  Soon afterwards Matt Gadsby had a chance: Woods flapped at Shilton's right wing corner, the ball fell to Gadsby whose shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Zico Black.  The breakthrough came six minutes before the interval, Gadsby was involved again finding space on the right and despite the ball appearing to hit his arm he was allowed to send over a looping cross to the far post where Dean Bennett arrived to head in his first goal of the season.
After the break Vics had more conviction about their play and began to get themselves into the game, their first shot on target arrived just two minutes into the half; Steve Garvey found himself unmarked on the left but his volley was hit weakly straight into the arms of Stuart Brock.  Harriers replied with a John Williams header that, also, was straight at the keeper from Danny Williams' right wing cross and then soon after Danny Williams popped up on the left wing to cross to the far post where White got up well but under pressure from his marker headed just over the bar.  Shilton swapped wings as Harriers pressed for a second and whipped in a low cross that just evaded the reach of John Williams, any touch by the big man would have been enough to turn the ball in.
In a double substitution on the hour Harriers introduced Henriksen and Rob Betts in place of Sean Parrish and Gadsby respectively and the Dane was soon making his presence felt with a curling sot from 20 yards that went narrowly wide of the far post after a neat interchange of passes with Bennett.  With twenty minutes left Northwich had another good opportunity as they began to press forward in search of an equaliser, Black crossed low from the right and found Mark Devlin whose attempt to sweep the ball home at the near post went in slow motion straight to Brock.  Ten minutes later the Devlin was involved again, Chris Thompson got clear on the right and his cross was fired over the bar by Devlin.  Eight minutes from time Northwich had a free kick on the right wing that found the head of Mark Foran but he could only direct the ball at Brock.
Within a minute Harriers were two up and apparently safe, Henriksen found John Williams on the right wing who beat Kieran Charnock and crossed into the danger area where an unmarked Bennett was able to head into the far corner.  Just to make things interesting Harriers' defence decided to go AWOL as the visitors pumped a hopeful ball forward and Thompson was able to turn and tuck the ball inside Brock's right-hand post and set up a grandstand finale.  Despite this aberration Harriers were able to hold on for the final few minutes and see themselves into the hat for the Second Round draw.
Valid CSS Valid XHTML 1.0