Kidderminster Harriers 1(0) v (0)0 Bristol Rovers
Football League Divison 3 - Aggborough - 28 December 2003
Attendance: 3411

Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Stuart Brock 6 0(1)0000[1]Kevin Miller 6 0(3)0000
Lee Jenkins 5 00020[8/18]Sonny Parker 5 00020
Scott Stamps 6 01200[3]Ijah Anderson 5 0121(h)0
Craig Hinton 5 00020[5/20]Christian Edwards 5 00210
Wayne Hatswell 5 01100[22/5]Adam Barrett 7 00010
Danny Williams 5 01210[4/8]Rob Quinn 5 00210
Graham Ward 7 00020[20/111]Wayne Carlisle 5 01130
Dean Bennett 8 2(1)3000[7]Dave Savage 5 00000
John Williams 7 1(1)114(1h)0[9/10]Junior Agogo 5 00000
Scott Rickards 5 02110[16/19]Dave Gilroy 5 00310
Sean Parrish 7 1(1)0301[14/30]Ryan Williams 5 1(1)0110
Matt Gadsby 6 01010[6]Kevin Austin     
Bo Henriksen 6 00001[12/23]Shane Hobbs 5 00100
Rob Betts     [24]Neil Arndale     
Andy White     [25/29]Victor Webb     
John Danby     [15/21]Ryan Clarke     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 13215410
Bristol 111212
47 Dean Bennett Bennett started the move in the centre of the field with a pass out to Ward on the right wing, Ward then crossed low into the penalty area where Bennett had continued his run to sweep the ball into the bottom corner.      
JenkinsHinton HatswellStamps
Ward D. Williams Parrish
 Bennett Rickards 
  J. Williams  
ParkerEdwards BarrettAnderson
CarlisleSavage QuinnWilliams
 Agogo Gilroy 
20 Gadsby Jenkins Gadsby to right back. 66 Hobbs Agogo Hobbs to left midfield, Williams to left central midfield, Quinn ot centre midfield. Now 4-5-1.
61 Henriksen Rickards Henriksen to striker, Bennett to right central midfield, D. Williams to left central midfield. Now 4-4-2.        
Referee: B. Curson
Match Report by St@tto

Dean Bennett's first league goal of the season was enough to sink the struggling Pirates and record back-to-back home wins for the Harriers since March.  Harrirs dominated the game and should have won it more comfortably against one of the poorest teams to visit Aggborough this season.

Jan Molby, as promised, changed the team that won at Yeovil on Boxing Day although the only change was enforced through the injury to Adie Smith.  In his place came striker Scott Rickards for his first start in a Harriers shirt and Lee Jenkins dropped back to right-back; the formation changed to 4-3-2-1 with Rickards and Bennett supporting John Williams in attack.

The game was slow to get going, and in the early exchanges it was the visitors who had the best of the possession.  In the first fifteen minutes Rovers had two good chances to open the scoring; first when Wayne Carlisle blasted over the bar from the edge of the penalty area and then when Stuart Brock was almost caught in possession by Junior Agogo while trying to dribble out of the box.  Harriers did force Kevin Miller into action in this period of the game, however, when he saved a long-range effort from Bennett.

Harriers began to get on top and Rickards almost found the net to open his Harriers account when the influential Graham Ward picked up the ball on the right and crossed to the far post where Rickards hit a volley on the turn that went narrowly wide.  Midway through the half Rovers' captain Adam Barrett came to their rescue with a timely intervention to clear Scott Stamps' low left-wing cross.  As Harriers piled on the pressure they forced a string of corners, from one of which Ward delivered a cross from the right that Wayne Hatswell headed over the bar.

John Williams broke clear of the Rovers defence on the half-hour mark but his run on goal came to nothing when Miller raced out to save at his feet before he could get his shot in.  Minutes later Miller again denied Williams, clawing his volley away to concede another corner.  Before the interval arrived Miller was again Rovers' saviour, dashing out to ctch Danny Williams' low right wing cross just ahead of Sean Parrish.  Then, in the last minute of the half, Rovers almost snatched an undeserved lead, a corner from the right was not cleared properly and the ball fell to Ryan Williams just outside the penalty area and his shot was just held onto by Brock under the crossbar.

It took less than one and a half minutes of the second half for Harriers to finally open the scoring; Bennett received the ball in midfield and with a good turn created space for himself to send a great pass into the path of Ward on the right wing, he advanced with the ball and then crossed low to the far post where Bennett had continued his run.  With defending the like of which has been shown all to often by the Harriers this season, Rovers allowed the ball to reach Bennett unhindered and he had the easiest of tasks to roll the ball into the net.

Harriers should have built on their lead, after an hour another Ward corner evaded everybody in its path across the penalty area and was only prevented from entering the net at the far post by a goalline clearance by Rob Quinn.  Soon after John Williams tok too long in trying to get the ball onto his right foot and instead had to pass to Parrish who hit a 20 yard shot straight at Miller.

Midway through the half, with his team in danvger of being overrun, Rovers boss Ray Graydon took off one of his strikers and replaced him with a midfielder much to the dismay of the travelling hordes or Pirates fans behind the goal.  Harriers still dominated the game, however, and eight minutes from the end could have wrapped up the result when John Williams held the ball up well before rolling it into the path of Matt Gadsby who fired over the bar from 20 yards.  Rovers almost made Harriers pay for their profligacy in front of goal in stoppage time when Dave Savage made a run into the penalty area and Hatswell and Brock left it to each other to deal with and Brock only just got his hands on the ball before the Rovers man nipped in.  Harriers held on for the final few seconds to record their second win in three days.

Valid CSS Valid XHTML 1.0