Mansfield Town 1(1) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers
Football League Division 3 - Field Mill - 10 January 2004
Attendance: 4574

Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Kevin Pilkington 6 0(1)0000[1]Stuart Brock 6 0(3)0000
Bobby Hassell 5 00020[12/2]Adie Smith 5 00110
Jamie Clarke 6 00000[2/3]Scott Stamps 5 00110
Rhys Day 7 2(1)0010[5]Craig Hinton 5 00000
Luke Dimech 5 0011(p)0[21/22]Wayne Hatwswell 5 00320
Tom Curtis 5 1(1)032(1h)0[4/6]Matt Gadsby 5 01220
Liam Lawrence 5 00220[7/20]Graham Ward 6 1(1)0100
Lee Williamson 5 0012(1h)0[24/17]Adam Murray 6 013(1p)20
Iyseden Christie 5 1(1)0440[22/10]Jesper Christiansen 5 00020
Junior Mendes 5 01001[20/7]Dean Bennett 5 01111
Wayne Corden 5 02020[11/14]Sean Parrish 5 0012(1h)0
Colin Larkin 500000[9]John Williams 5 00000
Jake Buxton     [16/12]Bo Henriksen 5 00100
David Artell     [25/16]Scott Rickards     
Tom Curle     [29/24]Rob Betts     
Jason White     [13/15]John Danby     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Mansfield 161143
Kidderminster 131713
26 Rhys Day Lawrence launched a free kick from deep on the right wing towards the far post where an unmarked Day rose to head powerfully past Brock.      
HassellDay DimechClarke
LawrenceWilliamson CurtisCorden
 Christie Mendes 
SmithHinton HatswellStamps
WardMurray GadsbyParrish
62 Larkin Lawrence Larkin to right midfield. 59 J. Williams Parrish J. Williams to striker, Bennett to left midfield. Now 4-4-2.
        68 Henriksen Christiansen Henriksen to striker.
Lawrence 24 Dissent
Williamson 57 Foul
Hassell 84 Time-Wasting
Curtis 85 Handball
Referee: M. Clattenburg
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers suffered an FA Cup hangover as they gave a very disappointing performance and were beaten by the only goal if a dour encounter at Field Mill.  Graham Ward's first-half penalty miss proved crucial as The Stags took the lead less than three minutes later.

Jan Molby made changes to the side that had drawn with Wolves in the previous game, Matt Gadsby kept his place in the line-up filling in for the injured Danny Williams while Bo Henriksen made way for Adam Murray as Molby switched to a 4-4-1-1 formation.  The opening exchanges of the game were played out almost entirely in midfield with neither side taking the initiative or threatening to open the scoring.

Harriers were gifted a golden opportunity to break the deadlock after 22 minutes when Adam Murray was poushed to the ground in the penalty area by Luke Dimech and referee Mark Clattenburg had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.  Surprisingly, given the outcome the last time Harriers were awarded a penalty, Graham Ward stepped forward to take it but his weak shot to Kevin Pilkington's left was easily saved by the keeper.  Mansfield made Harriers pay almost immediately; from a free kick deep on the right wing Liam Lawrence swung a cross to the far post where Rhys Day was allowed to climb unmarked and power a header past Brock into the roof of the net.  Before the interval the home team almost doubled their advantage when Iyseden Christie was given a free run at the Harriers back line but shot straight at Brock.

There was not much improvement to the game after the interval.  Mansfield started slightly better and within the first fifteen minutes could have fallen behind further on three occasions; Wayne Corden had two chances first shooting narrowly wide and later curling a free kick over the wall and wide of the target.  Sandwiched in between these two efforts Junior Mendes shot wide when well placed.

Harriers had a little more possession as the game wore on and created a handful of chances themselves.  With just over twenty minutes left Harriers' substitutes Bo Henriksen and John Williams combined to create a chance for Dean Bennett but the midfielder lobbed his effort just wide from the edge of the penalty area.  Shortly afterwards Bennett was involved again; Murray brought the ball forward from midfield and found Henriksen on the right, his cross picked out Bennett on the opposite flank but he lingered on the ball too long and the chance was gone without even getting a shot in.

Despite enjoying greater possession in the closing stages of the game Harriers never once troubled Pilkington in the home goal and surrendered their three-game unbeaten streak far too meakly.  A repeat performance in the FA Cup replay at Wolves on Tuesday will see their cup run ended and leave them to concentrate on getting away from the relegation zone which came closer after this defeat.

Valid CSS Valid XHTML 1.0