Kidderminster Harriers 1(1) v (0)1 Darlington
Football League Division 3 - Aggborough - 17 January 2004
Attendance: 2550

Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Stuart Brock 5 0(1)0000[1/12]Michael Price 6 0(4)0000
Matt Gadsby 5 1(w)2220[6/2]Ryan Valentine 5 01010
Adie Smith 5 00100[2/8]Ian Clark 5 00210
Craig Hinton 5 00210[5/15]David McGurk 5 10030
Wayne Hatswell 5 00010[22/4]Craig Liddle 5 00020
Danny Williams 7 01330[4/5]Matthew Clarke 5 00220
Graham Ward 5 00030[20/16]Mark Convery 5 00210
Adam Murray 94(3)403(1h)0[17/22]Neil Maddison 5 00300
John Williams 6 00100[9/14]Neil Wainwright 6 12020
Jesper Christiansen 6 1(1)0310[10/13]Barry Conlon 5 1(1)414(1h)2
Dean Bennett 6 01200[7/11]Ashley Nicholls 5 00400
Bo Henriksen 5 00210[12/6]Fabien Bossy     
Sean Parrish     [14/7]Gary Pearson     
Scott Rickards     [16/18]Craig Russell 5 00000
Rob Betts     [24/19]Mark Sheeran 5 00010
John Danby     [15/24]Jack Norton     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 150468
Darlington 172637
7 Adam Murray Ward played the ball in low from the right to Christiansen who laid it back to Murray who swept in a low shot into the bottom corner of the net. 90 David McGurk A free kick from deep on the right was only half cleared to Sheeran on the left wing, his ball back in found an unmarked McGurk who turned it in from close range.
GadsbyHinton HatswellSmith
WardMurray D. WilliamsBennett
 J. Williams Christiansen 
Valentine   Clark
 Wainwright Conlon 
65 Henriksen J. Williams Henriksen to striker. 76 Russell Clark Russell to striker, Valentine to right back, Liddle to left central defender, Clarke to left back. Now 4-3-3.
        87 Sheeran Valentine Sheeran to striker, Wainwright to right back.
Murray 55 Dissent
Gadsby 63 Foul
  Liddle 61 Dissent
Valentine 73 Foul
Nicholls 75 Unsporting Behaviour
Referee: J. Ross
Match Report by St@tto

Two points were thrown away by the Harriers who yet again forgot that the game last for 90 minutes and allowed Darlington central defender David McGurk to grab a last minute equaliser for The Quakers.  Harriers had the best of a dour encounter and should have had all three points in the bag long before Darlington's last-gasp escape.

Adam Murray came back into the side after being forced to sit out the FA Cup game at Wolves, with Matt Gadsby and John Williams also returning to the starting line-up; Scott Stamps, suspended, Sean Parrish and Bo Henriksen were left out.  Murray was to be the key to Harriers' performance; the best player on the field by far, he proved himself to be way too good for Third Division football and was at the heart of everything good that The Reds did.

Darlington were the first on the attack, however, the lively Neil Wainwright broke through the centre of the field but Stuart Brock was quickly off his line to save at his feet and Craig Hinton was on hand to clear the loose ball.  Harriers took the lead soon after, Murray on hand to fire in his first goal in a Harriers shirt, and Harriers' quickest goal of the season so far, when he swept in Jesper Christiansen's lay-back into the bottom corner of Michael Price's net.  Minutes later Murray tried his luck from distance, receiving a pass from Graham Ward and hitting a shot that Price could not hold onto and was cleared for a corner.

The game was enjoying an entertaining opening passage, Darlington were playing in a fashion that belied their lowly position and looked dangerous on the attack, Wainwright and Barry Conlon forming a potent paring.  Sloppy Harriers defending on the quarter hour led to a scramble in the home goalmouth ended with Conlon heading narrowly wide of Brock's right-hand post.  Conlon always looked to be The Quakers' most likely source of a goal, he was denied by Brock after 30 minutes after he had received the ball with his back to goal and been given time to turn and get a shot in.

Harriers should have had the game won by the interval; Murray, again, leapt well to meet a Ward cross but his header dropped onto the roof of the net and soon after turned provider again this time for Christiansen.  The big Dane swiveled to meet Murray's left-wing cross only to be denied by Price who dived full-length to turn his volley round the post for a corner.

The second half was a poor encounter in comparison to the first, the quality of play dropped off rapidly.  There were far fewer goalscoring chances and it was not until midway through the half that Harriers threatened to double their advantage.  John Williams made a good run through the heart of the visitors' defence, battling well to keep possession of the ball, but was denied by Price who cleared the ball off his feet.  The clearance only fell to a Harriers shirt, however, and the danger remained.  The ball was played back in from the right and Dean Bennett arriving late at the far post fired a hot across the face of the goal and narrowly wide of the far post.  Soon afterwards a Murray free kick on the right wing picked out Matt GAdsby who crashed a header against the crossbar.  Gadsby was involved again after Christiansen and Henriksen combined to find him advancing into the penalty area; he cut inside and curled his shot wide of the far post.

As the game drew to a close Darlington made substitutions and switched from a 5-3-2 formation to 4-3-3 and pushed for an equaliser.  Ten minutes from time Ryan Valentine's free kick from the left wing found Conlon at the far post but he headed wide.  With time running out the points seemed firmly in Harriers' grasp but Darlington were awarded another free kick, this time the set piece was launched from deep on the right, even with most of the team back in the penalty area Harriers were unable to clear it properly and it fell to Mark Sheeran on the left wing, he played the ball back into the danger area where McGurk was unmarked and turned it in from close range.

Valid CSS Valid XHTML 1.0