Kidderminster Harriers 4(3) v (1)1 York City
Football League Division 3 - Aggborough - 6 March 2004
Attendance: 2569

Individual Stats
 OnOffForAg   OnOffForAg 
Stuart Brock 5 0(2)001(1p)0[1]Mark Ovendale 4 0(3)0000
Craig Hinton 5 00010[5/15]Leigh Wood 5 00200
Scott Stamps 6 00020[3/24]Dave Merris 5 0022(1p)0
Wayne Hatswell 6 00000[22/12]Stuart Wise 5 00110
Adrian Viveash 6 00100[25/6]Chris Smith 5 00000
Mark Yates 6 10230[23/27]Sean Davies 5 00210
Adam Murray 8 124(1p)11[17/31]Justin Walker 5 2(2)0130
Dean Bennett 6 10043[7/14]Mitch Ward 5 00110
John Williams 7 00011[9/8]Lee Bullock 5 00120
Ian Foster 8 3(2)1000[21/9]Lee Nogan 5 011(1p)10
Dean Keates 5 1(1)0200[11/3]Jonjo Dickman 5 00110
Abdou Sall 5 00100[2]Darren Edmondson     
Jesper Christiansen 5 00100[10/4]Richard Cooper 6 10000
Sean Parrish 5 00000[14/5]Andy Bell 5 00110
Graham Ward     [20/18]Lev Yalcin 5 00001
John Danby     [15/21]Chris Porter     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 135773
York 131231
10 Ian Foster Penalty struck to Ovendale's left with the keeper diving in the opposite direction. 41 Richard Cooper Brock dived to his right to save Walker's penalty but the ball was not cleared and Cooper got up to head in from close range when it was played back across.
35 Dean Bennett The ball was played through on the left for Murray to chase, he had time to play it square to an unmarked Bennett at the far post who had an easy finish.      
45+ Mark Yates Swept the ball in from close range after Viveash had headed a right wing corner back across goal.      
67 Adam Murray Williams found Foster on the left wing, he got to the byline and pulled the ball back to Murray in acres of space who tapped it in from close range.      
HintonHatswell ViveashStamps
Wood   Merris
 Bullock Nogan 
71 Sall Hatswell Sall to right central defender. 38 Cooper Dickman Cooper to right central midfield, Walker to left central midfield.
71 Christiansen Williams Christiansen to striker. 50 Bell Nogan Bell to striker.
81 Parrish Foster Parrish to forward. 68 Yalcin Ward Yalcin to striker, Bullock to central midfield.
Brock 40 Foul
Bennett 56 Dissent
  Ovendale 35 Dissent
Walker 38 Foul
Referee: M. Cowburn
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers cruised to their biggest win of the season crushing out-of-sorts York and climbing to their highest league position since August.

For once Harriers were able to name an unchanged team, Jan Molby sticking with the same sixteen that beat Northampton Town earlier in the week.  York arrived at Aggborough - just 30 minutes before kick-off due to heavy motorway traffic - and on the back of an eight-game winless streak.  The signs were not good for the visitors when after just nine minutes Harriers were awarded a penalty when Dave Merris blatantly body-checked Adam Murray.  Ian Foster stepped forward to take the kick, the fifth player to try the job this season, and confidently sent Mark Ovendale in the visitors' goal the wrong way.  The early goal gave Harriers the confidence boost that they needed and they controlled the rest of a quiet opening half.

The lead should have been doubled after 25 minutes when Foster chased a pass through the inside right channel; his shot was beaten away by Ovendale but the ball went straight to Murray who had more time than he realised and snatched at his shot, blasting it over the bar and into the roof of the stand.  Murray was involved again in the build up to the second Harriers goal; after being set free on the left he played the ball square to pick out Dean Bennett at the far post who was completely unmarked and had an easy finish.

The Minstermen were allowed back into the game five minutes before the break; Lee Nogan was brought down in the penalty area by Brock and referee Cowburn had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.  Justin Walker took the kick and Brock dived to his right to push the ball away, unfortunately for Harriers the ball was not cleared properly and when it was played back across goal from the left Richard Cooper, who had been on the field for just two minutes, rose at the far post to head in from close range.

Harriers were not bowed by the set-back and in stoppage time at the end of the half restored the two-goal advantage.  Dean Keates' corner from the right found Adrian Viveash beyond the far post who headed back into the goalmouth where Mark Yates swept the ball in from close range.

After the break Harriers were the only team in the game and it was just a question of how many more goals that they would add to their tally.  Early in the period Foster had a good chance latching onto a through ball and holding off his marker before hitting a 20-yard shot straight at Ovendale who was able to gather comfortably.  The fourth goal duly arrived midway through the half as Harriers capitalised on the gaping holes in the City back-line.  John Williams had time to turn on the ball and find Foster on the left wing, he ran almost totally unhindered to the goalline and pulled the ball back to Murray unmarked in the penalty area who was able to score with an easy tap-in.

York's only chance of the second half came twenty minutes from the end when Walker's free kick from 25 yards deflected of Yates in the wall and Brock had to dive to his left smartly to keep the ball out.  Chris Smith almost found the net moments later, albeit his own net, when Williams and Foster combined to win possession with the latter getting to the goalline on the right and crossing into the danger area where Smith's outstretched leg fired the ball just over the bar.

Keates almost added a fifthe as Harriers cruised towards the final whistle, his free kick from distance beat the wall but did not have sufficient power to beat Ovendale as well.  The three points lifted Harriers to their highest postition since the draw with Oxford United on August 30 and, more importantly, increased the gap to the relegation zone to nine points.

Valid CSS Valid XHTML 1.0