Exeter City 1(0) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference - St James' Park - 16 August 2005

Attendance: 4194

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Paul Jones 60(2)0000[27/1]John Danby 50(2)0200
Scott Hiley 500000[2]Wayne Evans 500100
Billy Jones 501010[3/5]Wayne Hatswell 700010
Chris Todd 500100[6/4]Mark Jackson 500110
Santos Gaia 500000[5/6]Daryl Burgess 600130
Glenn Cronin 601460[8/7]Martin O'Connor 701220
Paul Buckle 51(1)0120[18/8]Terry Fleming 500120
Jon Challinor 500320[10/15]Simon Russell 600101
Steve Flack 500032[14/9]Iyseden Christie 501343
Lee Phillips 50053(1h)0[11]Michael Blackwood 51(1)2011
Andrew Taylor 51(1)0210[7/10]Lee Thompson 602110
Craig Farrell 620000[9/3]Steve Burton     
Jake Edwards 500010[19/12]Laurie Wilson 501300
Daniel Seaborne     [22/14]Gareth Sheldon 51(1)0011
Chris Vinnicombe     [30/18]Taiwo Atieno 501200
Martin Rice     [1/13]Daniel Lewis     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Exeter Kidderminster
69Craig Farrell    
  P. Jones   
HileyTodd GaiaB. Jones
BuckleChallinor CroninTaylor
 Flack Phillips 
EvansJackson BurgessHatswell
Exeter Kidderminster
46  Hiley to right central defender, Todd to right back, Taylor to right midfield, Buckle to right central midfield, Challinor to left central defender, Cronin to left midfield. 56SheldonThompsonSheldon to striker, Blackwood to left midfield.
52FarrellFlackFarrell to striker. 56AtienoRussellAtieno to striker.
67EdwardsTaylorEdwards to striker, Farrell to left midfield, Cronin to left central midfield, Challinor to right central midfield, Buckle to right midfield. 61WilsonO'ConnorWilson to central midfield.
Exeter Kidderminster
Challinor 21 Unsporting Behaviour Blackwood 21 Foul
Fleming 27 Foul
Burgess 65 Foul
Sheldon 81 Foul
Referee: R. East (Wiltshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers were unlucky to suffer their first defeat of the season after enjoying the best of the game at St James' Park against Exeter who maintained their 100% start to the campaign.

Stuart Watkiss named an unchanged team, sticking with the eleven that had started against Woking at the weekend and resisting the temptation to throw two-goal hero Taiwo Atieno in to the side. Exeter included former Harrier Billy Jones for his debut while former Grecian Gareth Sheldon had to be content with a place on the Harriers bench.

An absorbing first half was fairly even with Harriers just edging it.  The visitors were the first to show with Lee Thompson going close with a 25-yard drive after play was waved on when Terry Fleming was fouled.  At the other end Paul Buckle tried his luck with a low shot from distance that didn't have enough power to trouble John Danby who was able to gather it in easily.

As the half drew to an end Harriers began to get on top with Simon Russell creating a number of openings that Harriers were unable to capitalise upon.  First his cross from the right wing found Thompson at the far post who knocked the ball back into the goalmouth but City were able to clear and then his next cross from the right found an unmarked Michael Blackwood who headed straight at Paul Jones in the home goal.  Blackwood then went close again with a shot into the side netting after a short corner. In the last couple of minutes of the half Danby was called upon again to turn a low shot from Andy Taylor round the post for a corner.

After the break City stepped up a gear but again it was Harriers who had the first chance.   Russell played the ball down the right wing for Iyseden Christie who cut inside and jinked past two defenders before shooting over the bar from just outside the penalty area.  On the hour Daryl Burgess came to Harriers' rescue, blocking a shot from Craig Farrell who had been left unmarked at a corner.  After Martin O'Connor had been lost to injury, allowing Laurie Wilson to make his debut, Harriers still continued to press and had the ball in the net when Sheldon turned in Terry Fleming's cross only to have the goal disallowed as Sheldon was offside.  Shortly afterwards Harriers had another great chance when Wayne Hatswell's deep cross from the left found Sheldon at the far post who headed back across goal just behind Atieno instead of heading for goal himself.

From that let-off City went straight up to the other end and scored; the ball was knocked forward and Mark Jackson lost out to Lee Phillips who knocked the ball square to Farrell in acres of space who had plenty of tie to slot it inside Danby's right-hand post.  For the second game in a row Harriers found themselves behind but whereas last season's Harriers would have folded, this new-look side keeps plugging away to get back into the game. A pass from Wilson set Atieno clear through the inside-right channel but he mis-hit his first-time shot off his shin and it went horribly wide.

The game had become more end-to-end by the closing stages as Harriers looked for an equaliser and City hoped to build upon their advantage, which they nearly did eight minutes from time when Glenn Cronin was allowed to run through the Harriers defence unchallenged but fortunately for the visitors he fired into the side netting. This time there was not to be any late, dramatic, heroics from Harriers, their last good chance fell to Sheldon who saw his 25 yard free kick pushed round the post for a corner by Jones.