Scarborough 1(0) v (1)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference - Seamer Road - 20 August 2005

Attendance: 1401

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Leigh Walker 60(4)0000[1]John Danby 500000
Steve Baker 600140[14/2]Wayne Evans 500210
Kevin Nicholson 500200[3/5]Wayne Hatswell 600300
Simon Weaver 51(1)0330[6/4]Mark Jackson 611200
Dave Elebert 500000[2/6]Daryl Burgess 500000
Adrian Harper 50033(1h)0[18/7]Martin O'Connor 600110
Ashley Lyth 500000[12]Laurie Wilson 603030
Tony Hackworth 500020[7/14]Gareth Sheldon 61(1)0011
Mark Quayle 501022[9/18]Taiwo Atieno 51(1)2352
Jermaine Palmer 500031[31/15]Simon Russell 6 2(1, 1w)1301
Ian Clark 500100[11/10]Lee Thompson 51(1)1312
Paul Foot 610120[5/3]Steve Burton 500100
Michael Coulson 500000[22/17]Wayne Graves 500000
Mark Eccles 500000[25/20]Russ Penn     
Brian Wake     [26/21]Gavin Hurren 500000
Antoni Pecora      [30/13]Daniel Lewis     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Scarborough Kidderminster
90+Paul Foot  31Mark Jackson 
BakerWeaver ElebertNicholson
LythHackworth HarperClark
 Quayle Palmer 
EvansJackson BurgessHatswell
Scarborough Kidderminster
36EcclesClarkEccles to left midfield19BurtonBurgessBurton to left back, Hatswell to left central defender.
46FootLythFoot to right midfield.73GravesSheldonGraves to left central midfield, Thompson to left wing, Russell to right wing.
60CoulsonPalmerCoulson to striker.87HurrenO'ConnorHurren to central midfield.
Scarborough Kidderminster
Referee: I. Smedley (tbc)
Match Report by St@tto

For the second Saturday in a row Harriers' game was decided by an injury time goal; this time, however, it cost Harriers two points rather than gained them as they were held by a very poor Scarborough side at the McCain Stadium.

Harriers were without a number of players through injury; Iyseden Christie and Michael Blackwood were on the sidelines injured, Terry Fleming was missing due to a family illness while Martin O'Connor and Daryl Burgess overcame injury to start the game.  Burgess' hip injury proved too much for him and he lasted less than twenty minutes before being replaced by Steve Burton, making his first appearance of the season.

Despite the weakened team Harriers dominated the game from the start and could have taken the lead after just eight minutes when Simon Russell jinked his way through the home defence only to see his shot skim the crossbar.  Mark Jackson wasted a good opportunity when he didn't connect properly with Gareth Sheldon's corner and headed wide across the face of goal.

Just after the half-hour mark Sheldon went close with a free-kick that home keeper Leigh Walker did well to push around the post for a corner.  From the resultant corner kick Sheldon found Jackson again who this time made no mistake and buried his header past Walker.  It was one-way traffic for the whole of the first half and Harriers should have gone in to the interval with a greater lead; in stoppage time Wayne Evans found Taiwo Atieno with a deep cross from the right but the leading-scorer headed over the bar.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Harriers on top, although after being so poor in the first half the home team could only improve in the second and did try to get back into the game.  Harriers continued to created chances, Atieno got free on the left and flicked the ball across the face of goal but there were no white shirts following up to convert and shortly afterwards a low cross from the left found Laurie Wilson at the near post but he turned the ball over the bar from close range.

Scarborough finally found their way into the Harriers penalty area just after the hour when Steve Baker's cross from the right found ex-Harrier Simon Weaver who headed weakly straight at John Danby.  The best move of the game saw Lee Thompson and Atieno combine to find Sheldon whose cross-field pass picked out Russell who had his shot well saved by Walker.

Five minutes from the end Harriers were given a scare when Neil Eccles played the ball through the inside-left channel to Mark Quayle who beat Danby to the ball but steered his shot wide.  In stoppage time Harriers were made to pay for their wasted chances; Baker lofted a deep free-kick forward into the goalmouth and Paul Foot rose highest to head it across goal and into the far corner to earn Scarborough their first goal and point of the season.