Gravesend & Northfleet 1(0) v (1)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference - Stonebridge Road - 24 September 2005

Attendance: 1054

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Craig Holloway 400000[12/1]John Danby 60(4)0000
Lee Protheroe 500320[16/2]Wayne Evans 500030
Justin Skinner 500320[3/5]Wayne Hatswell 611120
Ross Smith 600320[20/4]Mark Jackson 600300
Paul McCarthy 500200[6]Daryl Burgess 600100
Jay Saunders 501011[8]Terry Fleming 610200
Danny Slatter 51(1)0120[15/23]Simon Heslop 500020
Bobby Bowry 51(1)0320[17/15]Simon Russell 700120
Charlie MacDonald 62(1)0020[10/9]Iyseden Christie 811524
Andy Drury 61(1)2211[23/11]Michael Blackwood 501060
Jimmy Jackson 600100[11/12]Laurie Wilson 503130
Scott Gooding     [2/3]Steve Burton 500000
Ben Surey     [14/10]Lee Thompson     
Kim Grant     [18/14]Gareth Sheldon 500001
Manny Omoyinmi 500200[21/18]Taiwo Atieno 500012
Aaron Kerr     [1/21]Gavin Hurren     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Gravesend Kidderminster
62Charlie MacDonald 25Iyseden Christie 
   57Wayne Hatswell 
ProtheroeSmith McCarthySkinner
SlatterBowry SaundersJackson
 MacDonald Drury 
EvansJackson BurgessHatswell
Gravesend Kidderminster
58OmoyinmiSlatterOmoyinmi to right midfield.69SheldonBlackwoodSheldon to striker.
    79AtienoChristieAtieno to striker.
    88BurtonRussellBurton to left midfield, Sheldon to right midfield.  Now 4-5-1.
Gravesend Kidderminster
Protheroe 19 Foul Wilson 20 Foul
Heslop 65 Foul
Evans 87 Foul
Referee: S. Beck (Essex)
Match Report by St@tto

Goals from Iyseden Christie and Wayne Hatswell set Harriers on the way to their second away win of the season and brought to an end a dreadful week.

Following the two terrible performances that led to defeats in home games in the last seven days Stuart Watkiss made a number changes to the team in midfield; out went the injured Martin O'Connor along with Taiwo Atieno, Wayne Graves and Lee Thompson; in came Simon Heslop, Michael Blackwood, Laurie Wilson and Simon Russell.  The 90-minute dressing down that they were given after the game against Halifax seemed to have worked as Harriers set about the job in hand with far more application and commitment than had been seen in the two previous games put together.

Early on Harriers provided a scare for the home team when Russell got free on the right and whipped a dangerous cross across the face of goal only a fraction too far ahead of Blackwood for him to reach.  Wilson was next to threaten with a free kick from 35 yards out that beat the wall but curled just wide of Craig Holloway's right-hand post.

Harriers took the lead after 25 minutes with a move that cut through the Gravesend defence; Christie picked up the ball on the left and cut inside past two defenders before playing the ball square to Blackwood who knocked it straight back to him, he took it in his stride and drilled it into the far corner.

At the other end John Danby was called upon to make a string of crucial saves as the half wore on, showing the form that he is more well known for.  Soon after Harriers had taken the lead the ball was played over the top of the inside right channel for Andy Drury to run onto but his first-time shot was well saved at the expense of a corner.  Jimmy Jackson was causing problems from the Fleet left, his run and low cross picked out Danny Slatter but his shot was weak and Danby was able to save and then shortly before the interval a Jackson cross found the head of Charlie MacDonald but somehow Danby managed to get a hand on it to push it away for another corner.

After the interval Harriers increased their lead to make themselves more comfortable.  Wilson's free kick from the right was knocked back across goal by Daryl Burgess and Hatswell was on hand to sweep it through a crowded penalty area.  Gravesend hit back and Drury went close with a 30-yard drive that went wide of the far post but soon after they were right back in the game.  The ball was played in from the left and the Harriers defence allowed it to bounce in the penalty area giving MacDonald time to turn and bury a low shot past Danby.

Harriers should have restored their two-goal advantage soon afterwards; Russell beat the fullback on the right and got to the byline before pulling the ball back to Christie, unselfishly he rolled it square to Terry Fleming who saw his shot cleared off the line by Paul McCarthy.  The home team came at Harriers after this let-off and tried desperately to get an equaliser.  After the poor performances of the previous two games Harriers began to look nervous, scared to make mistakes, and errors began to creep in.  Watkiss changed things around switching to a five-man midfield, and Harriers were able to hold on for a much-needed confidence-boosting victory.