Southport 1(0) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round - Haig Avenue - 22 October 2005

Attendance: 1108

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Steve Dickinson 80(5)0000[1/13]Daniel Lewis 60(3)0000
Chris Lane 72(1)0000[19/2]Wayne Evans 600020
Michael Powell 500210[16/5]Wayne Hatswell 51(1)0000
Earl Davis 610420[6/4]Mark Jackson 500200
Neil Fitzhenry 50001(h)0[4/6]Daryl Burgess 501100
Dominic Morley 600111[10/7]Martin O'Connor 500000
Carl Baker 61(1)3010[5/23]Simon Heslop 61(1)0310
Kevin Lynch 601000[14/8]Terry Fleming 500110
Neil Robinson 500031[8/14]Gareth Sheldon 502030
Steve Daly 51(1)2104[11/9]Iyseden Christie 501112
Kevin Leadbetter 501010[7/15]Simon Russell 63(3)2001
Steve Pickford 500000[2/3]Steve Burton     
Farrell Kilbane     [12/10]Lee Thompson 500100
Matty McGinn 500000[20/12]Laurie Wilson 501000
Robbie Booth 500000[21]Gavin Hurren 500000
Jamie Speare     [15/1]John Danby     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Southport Kidderminster
69Chris Lane    
LaneDavis FitzhenryPowell
BakerLynch MorleyLeadbetter
 Robinson Daly 
EvansJackson BurgessHatswell
HeslopFleming O'ConnorRussell
 Sheldon Christie 
Southport Kidderminster
58McGinnRobinsonMcGinn to left midfield, Leadbetter to striker.58WilsonO'ConnorWilson to left central midfield.
83PickfordLynchPickford to right central midfield.73ThompsonSheldonThompson to striker.
88BoothLeadbetterBooth to striker.85HurrenEvansHurren to right back.
Southport Kidderminster
Daly 90+ Dissent   
Referee: Karl Evans (Greater Manchester)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' cup hopes were ended for another season after a lacklustre performance at Haig Avenue saw them crash out and miss out on a much-needed injection of cash.

Unchanged from the side that beat Darlington in midweek, with Dan Lewis keeping his place in goal, Harriers could justifiably have expected to carry on where they left off in the previous match.  The performance, however, was flat and lifeless, in fact so was the whole game despite it being one of the most crucial stages of the FA Cup and with a lot at stake.

Harriers dominated possession for much of the game and created the first decent goalscoring chance midway through the first half; Terry Fleming slid a pass through the inside-left channel for Iyseden Christie who shot wide when he had time to do better.  When Harriers did break down the home defence they found and in-form Steve Dickinson in front of them and he denied both Simon Heslop and Simon Russell.

Early in the second half Harriers had some good chances that were wasted.  Heslop was brought down on the edge of the penalty area by Carl Baker but Gareth Sheldon took the free-kick quickly and hit it straight against the wall.  Simon Russell twice and Wayne Hatswell could have opened the scoring in the opening stages of the half but all three efforts lacked conviction and were weak and easy saves for Dickinson to make.

At the other end Southport eventually came to life and Lewis was called into action on the hour; a deep cross from the left was met by Steve Daly whose diving header Lewis did well to claw away.  Minutes later Kevin Leadbetter curled a shot from the right just wide of the far post and then Daly jinked his way into the Harriers penalty area before shooting high and wide.

As the home team built up a head of steam they broke the deadlock on 69 minutes; substitute Matty McGinn got to the byline on the left and chipped the ball to the far post where Chris Lane lashed his shot across Lewis and into the far corner.

McGinn created another chance with a cross from the right that found Earl Davis who saw his header blocked in a crowded penalty area.  As time ran out Lane could have doubled his tally but saw his shot beaten away by Lewis.  In stoppage time Gavin Hurren got forward on the right and when his cross was only half cleared Russell fired Harriers' last chance wide.