Kidderminster Harriers 0(0) v (0)0 York City

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 19 November 2005

Attendance: 1768

Individual Stats
v York
Daniel Lewis 70(3)0100[13/1]Chris Porter 60(2)0100
Johnny Mullins 600000[24/2]Jamie Price 500010
Michael Blackwood 600110[11/15]Dave Merris 500000
Mark Jackson 600110[4/22]Lee Andrews 51(1)0000
Daryl Burgess 600010[6/5]David McGurk 600210
Terry Fleming 500110[8/14]Lev Yalcin 51(1)0000
Marc Pugh 71(1)0100[26/24]Leo Bertos 500130
Russ Penn 50207(1h)0[20/7]Mark Convery 50021(h)0
Taiwo Atieno 50112(1h)0[18/11]Andy Bishop 500330
Iyseden Christie 602212[9]Clayton Donaldson 51(1)1301
Simon Heslop 71(1)2210[23/12]Darren Dunning 501120
Lee Thompson     [10/6]James Dudgeon     
Laurie Wilson     [12/10]Joe O'Neil 501001
Wayne Graves     [17/19]Byron Webster     
Gavin Hurren     [21]Ryan Mallon 500000
John Danby     [1/13]David Stockdale     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
MullinsJackson BurgessBlackwood
PughPenn FlemingHeslop
 Atieno Christie 
PriceAndrews McGurkMerris
BertosConvery YalcinDunning
 Bishop Donaldson 
Kidderminster York
    82O'NeilBertosO'Neil to striker, Donaldson to right midfield.
    90+MallonBishopMallon to right midfield, Donaldson to striker.
Kidderminster York
Penn 12 Foul
Heslop 87 Dissent
Referee: Amy Rayner (Leicestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' inability to convert their dominance of possession into goalscoring chances plus a second controversial refereeing decision in as many games left the Reds with just one point and a fifth League game in a row without a win.

Despite fielding a makeshift team - Michael Blackwood at left back, debutant Russ Penn in the centre of midfield and on-loan youngsters Marc Pugh and Simon Heslop on the wings - Harriers gave another solid performance but were let down by their inability to convert chances, failing to score for the seventh time this season.   Harriers should have been given the opportunity to take all three points minutes from the end when Iyseden Christie was brought down by City goalkeeper Chris Porter but referee Amy Rayner decided to award just a goal kick.

The game had been largely scrappy, particularly in the first half, with both sides evenly matched despite league positions suggesting otherwise.  City fielded former Harrier Andy Bishop in their line-up and he thought that he had given The Minstermen the perfect start when he slotted the ball in from close range after Dan Lewis had done well to parry Clayton donaldson's shot, fortunately for Harriers, though, Bishop was offside.  Darren Dunning should have done better a short while later when he got up well to meet Donaldson's cross but headed wide of the far post.

Harriers created a great chance, Johnny Mullins' low cross from the right excellently dummied at the near post by Taiwo Atieno but as Heslop arrived late at the far post David McGurk managed to clear. The lively Heslop forced Porter into his first save of the afternoon ten minutes before the break with a shot from the edge of the penalty area after good battling from Christie and shortly before the break Pugh hit a low shot straight at Porter that didn't trouble the keeper.

The second half was far more lively with chances at both ends in the first ten minutes and City having another goal ruled out.  Six minutes after the break York's attack was broken up by Mark Jackson but his clearance only went as far as Dunning whose lob back into the goalmouth was forced in by Bishop but he was adjudged to have fouled Lewis in the process.  At the other end Christie broke into the penalty area on the right getting to the byline before lashing a cross-shot into the side netting.

Lewis was called into action again to push away a 25-yard effort from Lev Yalcin and then Donaldson headed over the near post after Leo Bertos had got away on the right to cross.  Penn, who had shown a lot of commitment in the centre of midfield could have marked his debut with a goal but his 25-yard shot dipped just over the bar.

The game continued to ebb and flow with chances at both ends although Harriers didn't really look like converting theirs, too often the ball went into the penalty area with nobody near to it or the shots were from too far out to trouble Porter.  One such came from Heslop who was picked out by a raking crossfield pass from Christie, cut inside the full back and then shot over the bar.  Lewis made another excellent save at the other end, a free kick from the right was cleared only as far as Lee Andrews whose blistering shot was beaten away well.  Eight minutes from time Harriers should have had a penalty; Mark Convery could only help Mullins' long pass forward on into the path of Christie who had a clear run on goal, as he ran into the penalty area he was brought down by Porter but Ms Rayner and her linesman saw fit to award a goal kick to the visitors instead.