Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (0)1 Bradford City

LDV Vans Trophy Northern Area Quarter Final - Aggborough - 20 December 2005

Attendance: 1276

Individual Stats
v Bradford
Daniel Lewis 60(3)0000[13/1]Donovan Ricketts 50(2)0000
Patrick Flynn 800000[2/23]Richard Edgehill 600020
Wayne Hatswell 61(1)1020[5/3]Andy Taylor 602220
Mark Jackson 600120[4/5]David Wetherall 62(1, 1w)0110
Johnny Mullins 500220[24/6]Mark Bower 500200
Terry Fleming 600110[8/12]Lee Crooks 400010
Simon Heslop 700010[23/17]Bobby Petta 500100
Russell Penn 710250[20/4]Tom Kearney 500510
Iyseden Christie 93(1)2125[9]Andy Cooke 62(2)1421
Lee Thompson 701310[10/19]Danny Cadamarteri 501020
Michael Blackwood 600111[11/16]Lewis Emanuel 500100
Daryl Burgess     [6/7]Steven Schumacher 500000
Gareth Sheldon 500010[14/15]Ben Muirhead 600100
Taiwo Atieno     [18]Tom Penford     
Gavin Hurren     [21/22]Damion Stewart     
John Danby     [1/27]Joe Brown 610100
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Bradford
16Iyseden Christie 70Joe Brown 
60Russ Penn     
FlynnJackson MullinsHatswell
HeslopPenn FlemingBlackwood
 Christie Thompson 
EdgehillWetherall BowerTaylor
PettaKearney CrooksEmanuel
 Cooke Cadamarteri 
Kidderminster Bradford
82SheldonBlackwoodSheldon to left midfield.6 CrooksKearney to centre midfield, Petta to right central midfield, Emanuel to left central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
    50MuirheadPettaMuirhead to right midfield, Kearney to right central midfield, Taylor to left central midfield, Emanuel to left midfield, Edgehill to right central defender, Wetherall to central defender.  Now 3-4-2.
    50BrownCadamarteriBrown to striker.
    82SchumacherEmanuelSchumacher to left central midfield, Taylor to left midfield.
Kidderminster Bradford
Mullins 73 Foul
Sheldon 86 Foul
 Cadamarteri 27 Foul
Taylor 90+ Foul
Crooks 6 Serious Foul Play
Referee: Anthony Bates (Stoke)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers put on a sparkling performance to despatch ten-man Bradford and take their third higher league scalp of their LDV Vans Trophy campaign and reach the last eight of the competition for the first time.

Carrying on from where they left off in their weekend win over Scarborough Harriers fielded an unchanged side and played with the confidence of a team with a good win behind them.  Despite the fact that there are 52 league places between the clubs Harriers were able to soak up Bradford's early pressure as the visitors came forward with purpose and had most of the early possession.

The supposed superiority in class of the visitors was cancelled out after six minutes, however, when they had Lee Crooks sent off following a reckless two-footed challenge on Lee Thompson in midfield; referee Bates had no hesitation in showing him the red card.  After shaking off the injury, Thompson had Harriers' first good chance, set free by a long pass from Mark Jackson through the inside left channel he cut inside but then shot terribly high and wide.

Harriers took the lead after 15 minutes; Michael Blackwood threaded the ball through on the left for Iyseden Christie to chase, he knocked it wide of the keeper before drilling in his twelfth goal of the season.  At the other end Danny Lewis was called into action to deny Andy Cooke who hit a powerful drive through a crowded penalty area after Harriers had failed to deal with a free kick floated in from the right.  On the half-hour mark another free-kick caused problems for Harriers , this time from the left, David Wetherall rose at the far post but headed straight at Lewis.  In stoppage time Simon Heslop's deep cross from the right found Christie at the far post but his shot was blocked by Richard Edgehill.

After the break Harriers continued to be comfortable in the game, City made early substitutions and switched to a more adventurous formation but Harriers were able to cope with their pressure.  Christie could have doubled the advantage just four minutes after the break, winning the ball in the middle of the park he advanced to the left before shooting across the face of goal from the edge of the penalty area.

Although comfortably in the lead Harriers needed a second goal to settle the nerves and it arrived on the hour; Russ Penn received the ball in midfield and played a neat one-two with Thompson taking the return on the edge of the penalty area and driving a low shot past Donovan Ricketts for his first goal in a Harriers shirt.  A long ball out of defence by Mullins set Thompson free but Ricketts just managed to reach the ball first and hoof it into the stand and safety.

The Bantams were thrown a lifeline twenty minutes from the end; Ben Muirhead's corner from the right was knocked back across goal by Wetherall and Joe Brown was on hand to head past Lewis to reduce the arrears and set up a thrilling finale.  City threw everything forward; a pass from Andy Taylor on the left let Cooke race past Jackson but his shot from a narrow angle was straight at Lewis who was able to gather it in easily.  Another long ball forward in the last minute put Taylor himself in but his shot lacked control and flew into the side netting.  In stoppage time City had their last chance, a cross from the left found Wetherall who saw his header come back off Lewis right-hand post and Harriers were able to clear.  Nearly five minutes of stoppage time were played but Harriers were able to see out time for a famous win.