Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (0)1 Scarborough

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 21 January 2006

Attendance: 1740

Individual Stats
v Scarborough
John Danby 50(2)0000[1]Leigh Walker 50(3)0000
Johnny Mullins 610000[24/14]Steve Baker 500230
Jonny Harkness 600220[5/3]Kevin Nicholson 500200
Mark Jackson 610200[4/2]Denny Ingram 500020
Daryl Burgess 500030[6/16]Rob Atkinson 502120
Russ Penn 501220[20]Lee Fowler 62(2)2330
Simon Russell 702020[15/17]Chris Hughes 500420
Terry Fleming 600100[8]Neil Bishop 500010
Gareth Sheldon 51(1)2530[14/10]David McNiven 612223
Iyseden Christie 92(2)3451[9/7]Tony Hackworth 505110
Michael Blackwood 71(w)1120[11/29]David Pounder 501500
Lee Thompson     [10/9]Mark Quayle     
Wayne Graves 500000[17/19]Sean McClare     
Francino Francis 500010[18/26]Brian Wake 500011
Marc Pugh 501000[26/28]Steve Yates     
Daniel Lewis     [13/34]Ian Dunbavin     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Scarborough
45+Mark Jackson 72David McNiven 
50Johnny Mullins     
MullinsJackson BurgessHarkness
RussellFleming PennBlackwood
 Sheldon Christie 
BakerIngram AtkinsonNicholson
HughesBishop FowlerPounder
 McNiven Hackworth 
Kidderminster Scarborough
77PughRussellPugh to right midfield.65WakeBakerWake to striker, Nicholson to left central defender, Ingram to central defender, Atkinson to right central defender.  Now 3-4-3.
84FrancisSheldonFrancis to striker.     
90+GravesBlackwoodGraves to left midfield.     
Kidderminster Scarborough
Sheldon 19 Dissent Ingram 81 Dissent  
Referee: Simon Snartt (Gloucestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

Another "game-of-two-halves" - first half dreadful, second half good - saw Harriers take three crucial points and record their second win in as many league games under new manager Mark Yates.

Scarborough arrived with a point to prove after their terrible performance when they visited Aggborough in the FA Trophy earlier in the season and gave a changed Harriers line up all sorts of problems in the earlier stages of the game.  Jonny Harkness had been brought in for his debut at left back and started the game looking desperately short of match practice as he was dragged out of position on a number of occasions by the Scarborough strikers and right winger; also back in the side was Daryl Burgess in place of Wayne Graves and Simon Russell in place of Marc Pugh.

Harriers gradually settled into the game without really setting the match alight; Iyseden Christie went close with a shot from a narrow angle on the right that flashed across the face of goal and a Russ Penn knock down set up Gareth Sheldon who shot straight at the keeper.  Scarborough's inability to shoot straight kept the scores level with Lee Fowler, David McNiven and Tony Hackworth all failing to trouble John Danby.  The first half hour was truly awful as a spectacle from both sides' point of view.

As the half drew to a close Harriers began to get on top and a neat interchange between Christie and Michael Blackwood opened up the visiting defence but Blackwood's long ball over the top was a fraction too hard and Leigh Walker in the Scarborough goal was able to gather it up before Christie cold reach it.  Straight away Scarborough hit back and David Pounder found himself some space on the left but blazed his shot over the bar.

In stoppage time Denny Ingram fouled Sheldon on the edge of the penalty area on the right; Harkness took the free kick and his excellent delivery, which was a highlight throughout the afternoon, caused confusion in the goalmouth and Walker could only parry it into the path of Mark Jackson who stabbed it home to give Harriers the lead.

After the break Harriers came out a different team, fired up and ready for action.  Within moments of the kick-off Russell had found Blackwood who saw his stinging shot cannon back of Walker's left-hand post.  The longer the game went on the more comfortable Harkness looked and he was involved again as Harriers doubled their advantage; another free kick was awarded, this time on the left wing, and Harkness whipped it in to the near post where Christie lurked, his shot was saved by Walker but Johnny Mullins was on hand to fire in the loose ball.  Whenever Mullins scores Harriers win.

Harriers were cruising now and playing some decent football with style and confidence, they should really have gone on to repeat the scoreline from the previous meeting of the teams.  Penn and Christie combined to set up Sheldon but he shot over the bar, Blackwood and Christie also both went close as Harriers surged forward but could not breach the 'Borough defence.

Instead of increasing the lead Harriers let Scarborough back into the game and with twenty minutes remaining gifted them a goal.  Terry Fleming lost possession in midfield to Fowler who hit a terrific  25 yard shot that Danby did well to parry but, as in the game at Altrincham, he parried it to the feet of an oncoming attacker and David McNiven was left with an easy tap-in.

The goal set up a tense finale to the game; Sheldon almost capitalised on a defensive error when Rob Atkinson dropped a header back to his keeper short but the Harriers man could only get a toe to it and direct it wide of the post.  At the other end a quick free kick saw Hackworth set up Fowler who had his long range effort tipped over the bar by Danby.  From the resulting corner Atkinson headed wide at the far post.  In the closing stages Harriers brought on both Pugh and new-signing Francino Francis and with three minutes left they combined to open up the visitors again, Francis setting Pugh free on the right but his dipping shot from the edge of the area didn't dip enough and went over the bar.  Harriers managed to hold on, however, and take all three points moving them further away from the relegation zone.