Carlisle United 1(0) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers

LDV Vans Trophy Northern Area Semi-Final - Brunton Park - 24 January 2006

Attendance: 4432

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Kieran Westwood 60(2)0000[20/1]John Danby 70(5)0000
Paul Arnison 601410[15/24]Johnny Mullins 500200
Peter Murphy 500100[3/5]Jonny Harkness 500200
Danny Livesey 61(1)0110[5/4]Mark Jackson 600100
Kevin Gray 500010[6]Daryl Burgess 500010
Chris Billy 51(1)1000[4/8]Terry Fleming 600000
Mark Rivers 51(1)0110[25/15]Simon Russell 62(2)1010
Chris Lumsdon 500000[8/20]Russ Penn 600030
Derek Holmes 51(1)3000[9]Iyseden Christie 701110
Karl Hawley 501221[10/14]Gareth Sheldon 602001
Zigor Aranalde 511010[21/11]Michael Blackwood 600120
Brendan McGill     [7/3]Neil Howarth 500000
Adam Murray     [11/18]Francino Francis 500011
Glenn Murray 613001[16/23]Simon Heslop     
Simon Hackney 61(1)0000[18/26]Marc Pugh 500000
Adam Bradley     [13]Daniel Lewis     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Carlisle Kidderminster
87Glenn Murray    
ArnisonLivesey GrayMurphy
RiversLumsdon BillyAranalde
 Holmes Hawley 
MullinsJackson BurgessHarkness
RussellPenn FlemingBlackwood
 Christie Sheldon 
Carlisle Kidderminster
61G. MurrayHolmesMurray to striker.78FrancisRussellFrancis to striker, Sheldon to right midfield.
71HackneyRiversHackney to left midfield, Aranalde to left back, Murphy to left central midfield, Billy to right central midfield, Lumsdon to right midfield.90+PughSheldonPugh to right midfield.
    90+HowarthPennHowarth to right central midfield.
Carlisle Kidderminster
G. Murray 90+ Foul   
Referee: Colin Webster (Tyne & Wear)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' longest ever run in the LDV Vans Trophy came to an end after a goal three minutes from time ended a valiant rearguard action at Brunton Park.

Mark Yates named an unchanged team from the one that beat Scarborough at the weekend, choosing again to leave Francino Francis on the bench but for the first time Assistant-Manager Neil Howarth was included in the squad.

Carlisle dominated the game from the start and were soon making chances for themselves.  John Danby held a header from Danny Livesey who got away from his marker to reach Chris Lumsdon's corner after quarter of an hour and soon afterwards a free kick from Paul Arnison deep on the right found Derek Holmes who headed wide of the near post.  Later in the half Chris Billy tried his luck from distance but Danby held on to his low shot.  Harriers eventually began to get into the game themselves and five minutes before the interval Michael Blackwood knocked the ball down to Simon Russell, his 20 yard shot was saved by Kieran Westwood low to his left.  Blackwood then did well to get to the byline on the left, pulling the ball back to Iyseden Christie who fired wide of the near post.  Harriers ended the half as they had spent most of it, however defending when Terry fleming cleared off the line from Zigor Aranalde.

Harriers best chance of the game came early in the second half, Christie found space on the right and passed inside to Gareth Sheldon who blasted his shot over the bar from 20 yards.  The game became bogged down in midfield for a spell, the terrible pitch preventing either side from playing good football.  Harriers had to soak up a lot more Carlisle pressure but for the first twenty minutes of the half they looked far less likely to make the breakthrough than they had in the first half.

Simon Russell had another chance twenty minutes from the end but his weak 20-yard shot was straight at Westwood.  The introduction of Simon Hackney after 70 minutes improved Carlisle's performance and they began to build up a period of pressure in which a goal seemed inevitable.  Ten minutes from the end Glenn Murray held off Mark Jackson to create an opening for Hackney who saw his powerful shot pushed away for a corner by Danby.  From the corner Karl Hawley had the ball in the net but his joy was short-lived as the linesman's flag indicated an offside in the Harriers penalty area.

Carlisle continued to press and four minutes from the end a Hackney cross found Glenn Murray whose diving header went wide of the near post.  A minute later Carlisle finally made the breakthrough; Billy won the ball from Russ Penn in midfield and slipped it through the inside left channel to Murray who beat Danby with an angled shot that went in off the far post.  Broken so late there was no way back for Harriers who would probably have been able to play all night without scoring.