Kidderminster Harriers 0(0) v (1)2 Gravesend & Northfleet

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 11 February 2006

Attendance: 1575

Individual Stats
v Gravesend
John Danby 60(4)0000[1/12]Craig Holloway 70(4)0200
Jake Sedgemore 500210[7/2]Scott Gooding 500010
Jonny Harkness 501110[5/21]Robert Watkins 500110
Johnny Mullins 51(w)0000[24/5]James Smith 500020
Daryl Burgess 501010[6/20]Ross Smith 500310
Simon Russell 51(1)1001[15]Danny Slatter 500230
Gareth Sheldon 602020[14/23]Andy Drury 62(1)041(h)0
Terry Fleming 502100[8/17]Bobby Bowry 500000
Francino Francis 500212[18/9]Mark Rawle 500211
Andy White 73(3)2441[9/24]Onome Sodje 73(2)2022
Michael Blackwood 500141[11]Jimmy Jackson 61(1)0100
Neil Howarth     [3/7]Steve McKimm 500000
Lee Thompson 601011[10/14]Ashley Fuller     
Laurie Wilson 500100[12/16]Lee Protheroe     
Wayne Graves     [17/22]Luke Moore 501010
Daniel Lewis     [13/1]Aaron Kerr     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Gravesend
   18Onome Sodje  
   74Andy Drury 
SedgemoreMullins BurgessHarkness
SheldonFleming RussellBlackwood
 Francis White 
GoodingJ. Smith  R. SmithWatkins
DruryBowry SlatterJackson
 Rawle Sodje 
Kidderminster Gravesend
57ThompsonFrancisThompson to striker.67MooreSodjeMoore to striker.
75WilsonBlackwoodWilson to right central midfield, Fleming to left central midfield, Russell to left midfield.76McKimmDruryMcKimm to right central midfield, Bowry to left central midfield, Slatter to right midfield.
    89FullerJacksonFuller to left midfield.
Kidderminster Gravesend
Sedgemore 73 Foul  Gooding 61 Encroaching at Free Kick  
Referee: Danny McDermid (Hampshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' worst performance under Mark Yates allowed Gravesend to go away with all three points, and their first win at Aggborough since 1953, ending the four-game unbeaten run in the Conference Harriers had built up since Yates took over.

An enforced change to the side saw Gareth Sheldon come in for the suspended Russell Penn with Simon Russell moving into the centre of midfield.  Despite being almost the same team that drew so well at Halifax in their previous game Harriers were decidedly lacklustre, and were forced onto the back foot by the well-organised visitors.

In the first ten minutes Gravesend had three good chances to take the lead, the best when Jake Sedgemore's attempted header back to John Danby dropped short to Onome Sodje only for Danby to react well to save his close range shot.  After the early alarm calls it was no surprise when the visitors broke the deadlock after 17 minutes, although it was a sloppy goal to concede from a Harriers point of view; Jimmy Jackson's right wing corner dropped in the centre of the goalmouth and an unmarked Sodje was able to tap in from close range.

Harriers' best chance of the half fell to Russell; a Jonny Harkness corner from the left was only half cleared and Russell's volley at the far post was well parried by Craig Holloway but there was no Harriers player following up.  At the other end a cross from the left was not cleared well and fell to Andy Drury whose low shot was well saved by Danby diving to his right who would have seen it late.  IN stoppage time a Harkness free kick from the right found Andy White at the far post who headed wide.

After the break Harriers improved slightly and had the lion's share of the possession and created more chances to draw level.  A great chance fell to Francino Francis early in the period but he blasted over the bar from six yards out, fortunately for him the linesman's flag was up for offside.  Midway through the half a Harkness corner from the right found Daryl Burgess at the far post but his header flew agonisingly across the face of goal and was hoofed to safety.

The game was killed off 17 minutes from the end when the visitors doubled their advantage; awarded a free kick not far outside the Harriers penalty area Bobby Bowry rolled it short to Drury whose shot took a wicked deflection off the middle of the wall and bounced slowly into the bottom corner of the net with Danby having dived in the opposite direction.

Gravesend could have gone further ahead late on; former Harrier Mark Rawle broke free on the left after Sheldon had lost possession, his cross found Luke Moore in the penalty area but his downward header bounced over the bar.  Harriers pressed forward in the dying stages of the game; Andy White was brought down in the penalty area but the referee waved play on, the ball ran to Lee Thompson who crossed low to Johnny Mullins who saw his shot come back off the foot of the post.  In the last minute a Russell cross from the left was nodded back across goal by Laurie Wilson to Thompson who volleyed wide and in stoppage time Russell set up White who turned well on the edge of the penalty area and got in a good shot that Holloway did well to push away for a corner.