Forest Green Rovers 0(0) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - The Lawn - 4 March 2004

Attendance: 1033

Individual Stats
Forest Green
v Kidderminster
Ryan Clarke 80(5)0000[1]John Danby 70(3)0000
Luke Graham 500000[17/24]Johnny Mullins 61(1)112(1h)0
Damon Searle 500100[3/5]Jonny Harkness 502030
Abdou Sall 61(w)3220[5/21]Gavin Hurren 600020
Michael Taylor 50001(p)0[24/6]Daryl Burgess 600010
Paul Wanless 502030[7]Jake Sedgemore 500320
Alex Meechan 71(1)1300[16/14]Gareth Sheldon 51(1)1100
Michael Brough 500330[10/20]Russ Penn 50014(1h)0
Guy Madjo 500110[27/10]Lee Thompson 61(1)201(h)1
Zema Abbey 61(1)1110[9]Andy White 6004(1p)12
Barry McConnell 50021(h)1[26/15]Simon Russell 72(2)0010
Scott Rogers     [8/11]Michael Blackwood 500000
Bruno Teixeira 51(1)0100[11/12]Laurie Wilson 500100
Julian Alsop 500000[12/18]Francino Francis 500000
Darren Jones     [23/19]Junior Osborne     
Ryan Harrison     [20/13]Daniel Lewis     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Forest Green1211247
Forest Green
GrahamSall TaylorSearle
MeechanBrough WanlessMcConnell
 Madjo Abbey 
MullinsHurren BurgessHarkness
SheldonPenn SedgemoreRussell
 Thompson White 
Forest Green Kidderminster
81TeixeiraMadjoTeixeira to striker.63BlackwoodThompsonBlackwood to left midfield, Russell to right midfield, Sheldon to striker.
88AlsopAbbeyAlsop to striker.80WilsonPennWilson to right midfield.
    86FrancisSheldonFrancis to striker.
Forest Green Kidderminster
  Penn 67 Foul
Harkness 90+ Foul
Referee: Graham Scott (Abingdon)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers stretched their unbeaten run to three games, and kept their second clean sheet in a row, but were left ruing Lee Thompson's second half penalty miss that would have won them the game.

Forest Green had asked for volunteers to remove the covers that had been protecting the pitch from the heavy frost but after the dour spectacle that they witnessed they were probably wishing that they hadn't bothered.  Harriers, showing two changes from the team that beat Crawley, had most of the possession while Rovers, not wanting a repeat of their thrashing by York, were cautious and wasted the best chances that came their way.

Daryl Burgess returned to the heart of the Harriers defence alongside Gavin Hurren, with Johnny Mullins moving across to right back at the expense of Junior Osborne, to bring some experience back into the back four and led them to a second consecutive clean sheet - the first time this season they have managed that in Conference games.  With Terry Fleming suspended Russ Penn came back into the midfield.

The home team had the best chances of an incident-free first half despite not having much of the ball.  They looked most dangerous from set-pieces and it was from two of these that they came closest to opening the scoring.  An Alex Meechan corner from the left found Paul Wanless at the far post who headed wide and then another Meechan dead-ball, this time a free-kick deep on the left, was headed wide of the far post by former Harrier Abdou Sall.

Harriers were gifted a golden opportunity to take the lead seven minutes after the interval when referee Graham Scott was the only person in the ground to see Michael Taylor's push on Andy White and awarded the visitors a penalty.  Lee Thompson stepped forward to take it but his kick was too close to ex-Harrier Ryan Clarke who was able to parry it diving to his right and then reacted quickly to push Simon Russell's follow-up shot over the bar for a corner.

At the other end the lively Meechan continued to cause Harriers problems and pulled a good save from John Danby with a 20-yard drove that moved wickedly in the air.  Harriers breathed a sigh of relief a few minutes later when a free-kick was pumped forward into the penalty area and fell to Sall who stabbed his shot against the bar with Danby beaten.

Clarke made another good save to deny Harriers with just under a quarter of an hour left; Michael Blackwood, on for Thompson, got to the byline on the left and pulled the ball back for Gareth Sheldon whose diving header seemed destined for the net until Clarke stretched out an arm to push it away.

In the closing minutes both teams came to life; Barry McConnell broke free on the left, receiving a pass from Wanless, and his low cross to the far post picked out Meechan who fired wide with the goal at his mercy.  Harriers' last chance was created by a speculative lob into the penalty area by Russell that was nodded down by Andy White just a fraction to far ahead of Blackwood for him to get a touch on.