Kidderminster Harriers 3(2) v (0)0 Altrincham

Football conference National - Aggborough - 29 August 2009

Attendance: 1415

Individual Stats
v Altrincham
Dean Coleman 70(3)0000[1]Stuart Coburn 40(1)0000
Duane Courtney 600010[2/6]Shaun Densmore 400010
Lee Baker 601000[3]Matt Doughty 500000
Martin Riley 500110[6/2]James Smith 500000
Gavin Caines 500200[5]Greg Young 501100
John Finnigan 600120[4]Tom Kearney 51(1)0220
Kyle Hadley 600100[16/10]Chris Denham 51(w)0300
Dean Bennett 500110[8/16]Anthony Danylyk 500000
Matt Barnes-Homer 610000[9/14]Dale Johnson 500232
Chris McPhee 71(w)2021[7/19]Chris Senior 500000
Brian Smikle 74(1)0111[14/20]Daniel Heffernan 501100
Darryl Knights 501020[10/7]Robbie Lawton     
David McDermott 500100[11/9]Colin Little 61(1)1100
Liam Dolman     [15/11]Nicholas Clee 500010
Tom Sharpe 500010[17/12]Rob Williams 51(1)0110
Jasbir Singh     [12/13]Russell Saunders     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Altrincham
11Brian Smikle    
22Matt Barnes-Homer    
46Brian Smikle    
CourtneyRiley CainesBaker
 Bennett Finnigan 
Hadley McPhee Smikle
DensmoreSmith YoungDoughty
DenhamDanylyk KearneyHeffernan
 Johnson Senior 
Kidderminster Altrincham
17 RileyMcPhee to right central defender.  Now 4-4-1.37 DensmoreYoung to central defender, Doughty to left central defender.  Now 3-4-2.
34SharpeBarnes-HomerSharpe to right central defender, McPhee to striker.46LittleHeffernanLittle to striker, Senior to left midfield.
71McDermottFinniganMcDermott to left central midfield.53WilliamsKearneyWilliams to right central defender, Smith to central defender, Young to left central defender, doughty to left central midfield.
78KnightsHadleyKnights to right midfield.58CleeSeniorClee to left midfield.
Kidderminster Altrincham
 Riley 17 Professional FoulKearney 45+ FoulDensmore 37 Serious Foul Play
Referee: Michael Naylor (Sheffield)
Match Report by St@tto

Brian Smikle enjoys playing against Altrincham, a brace in this game took his tally against The Robins to four, his first two goals in a Harriers shirt also came against them.  His goals helped Harriers sweep aside Alty and leapfrog them in the table, taking them up to eighth place.

Harriers were unchanged from the side that beat Grays in their previous match but didn't start in the same fashion that they had won that game.  Indeed it was the visitors who started the brighter and even managed to get the ball in the net in the tenth minute but the strike was rued out by an offside flag.

The opening goal came shortly after that, though; Dean Bennett's pass over the inside right channel set Kyle Hadley away on the wing, the youngster beat the goalkeeper to the ball and squared for Smikle to finish from close range at the near post.  Harriers were then controversially reduced to ten men in the 17th minute; a long ball through the middle saw Dale Johnson give chase and run across Martin Riley, the two collided just outside the penalty area and referee Michael Naylor had no hesitation in whipping out the red card to dismiss Riley for a professional foul.  From the resulting free-kick Tom kearney's shot beat the wall but was straight at Dean Coleman in the Harriers goal.

Despite having only ten men Harriers doubled their advantage midway through the half; Coleman's punt set Matt Barnes-Homer clear who just managed to reach the ball before the onrushing Stuart Coburn and loft the ball over him into the net.  The goalkeeper clattered into Barnes-Homer, however, and the striker picked up an injury that caused him to be substituted ten minutes later. In the last minute of the half Smikle could have added to the score, his volley from a left-wing corner hit Tom Sharpe and flew over the bar.

The third goal wasn't long in coming, Harriers needed just 35 seconds of the second half to complete the scoring.  Hadley made a good run on the right and his cross to the far post found Smikle who guided the ball back across the face of goal to record his second of the game and third of the season, all with assists from Hadley.

Moments later another good cross from Hadley on the right wing was just a fraction too high for John Finnigan to meet, a taller player would surely have made it 4-0.  Harriers were comfortably in control by now and cruised through the rest of the game to a certain extent.  Smikle should have had a hat-trick on 77 minutes when Chris McPhee won the ball on the right ad slipped it inside to his but he hit his shot strait at Coburn.

In the last minute McPhee went agonisingly close to adding to the score; a good build up involving substitute Darryl Knights and Smikle ended with the skipper's first-time shot beating Coburn and coming back off the crossbar.  Deep in stoppage time the woodwork came to Harriers' rescue; Colin Little die well on the left, his cross to the far post found Chris Denham whose header hit the ground and bounced up against the bar.