Kidderminster Harriers 2(0) v (0)0 Wrexham

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 29 September 2009

Attendance: 1585

Individual Stats
v Wrexham
Dean Coleman 70(4)0000[1/27]Chris Maxwell 50(2)0200
Duane Courtney 602010[2/16]Silvio Spann 400010
Lee Baker 802000[3/11]Neil Taylor 500100
Chris McPhee 500000[7/5]Mansour Assoumani 51(1)1201
Martin Riley 701120[6/15]Frank Sinclair 500110
John Finnigan 500110[4/25]Christian Smith 500010
David McDermott 500100[11/2]Curtis Obeng 501300
Darryl Knights 51(1)2020[10/19]Andy Fleming 50001(h)0
Robbie Matthews 612141[21/10]Marc Williams 61(1)0002
Matt Barnes-Homer 60402(1h)1[9/22]Lamine Sakho 500204
Brian Smikle 72(1)1040[14/7]Mark Jones 72(2)1310
Liam Dolman 500000[15/6]Mike Williams     
Kyle Hadley 500001[16/8]Hedi Taboui 500200
Tom Sharpe     [17/9]Gareth Taylor     
Aaron Farrell     [18/17]Adrian Cieslewicz 51(w)0001
Nathan Hayward 500010[19/18]Wes Baynes 501000
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Wrexham
51Brian Smikle  
55Robbie Matthews  
CourtneyMcPhee RileyBaker
McDermott   Smikle
 Matthews Barnes-Homer 
SpannAssoumani SinclairTaylor
ObengFleming SmithJones
 Williams Sakho 
Kidderminster Wrexham
20HadleyMcDermottHadley to right midfield.17 SpannObeng to right wing back, Smith to left  central defender, Sinclair to central defender, Taylor to left wing back, Fleming to central midfield, Jones to left central midfield, Williams to right central midfield.  Now 5-3-1.
75HaywardHadleyHayward to right midfield.51BaynesSakhoBaynes to striker.
82DolmanFinniganDolman to defensive midfield.73CieslewiczFlemingCieslewicz to striker, Smith to centre midfield, Taylor to left back, Obeng to right back, Sinclair to left central defender.  Now 4-3-2.
    78TabouiSmithTaboui to centre midfield, Baynes to right central midfield, Williams to striker.
Kidderminster Wrexham
Smikle 21 Foul
Finnigan 35 Foul
Courtney 53 Foul
Referee: Jake Collin (Liverpool)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers bounced back from their weekend defeat at York with a thoroughly professional performance to see off the challenge of ten-man Wrexham.

John Finnigan came back into the starting line-up after injury in place of the suspended Gavin Caines with Chris McPhee dropping back into the centre of defence.  Finnigan was central to most of Harriers' moves throughout the match as they dominated possession.

Although Harriers had the best of the possession it was Wrexham who looked the most likely to score in the first half.  Just five minutes were on the clock when big central defender Mansour Assoumani got forward to head a corner from the right over the bar.  Dean Coleman then came to Harriers' rescue as the hard-working Mark Jones cut inside from the left wing and curled a shot towards the top corner only for the keeper to tip it away for a corner.

The game came to life just after the quarter-hour mark when Wrexham defender Silvio Spann made a reckless, needless, challenge on David McDermott in midfield.  Referee Jake Collin had no hesitation in brandishing the red card at Spann.  McDermott left the field on a stretcher and was replaced by Kyle Hadley.

Even with ten men Wrexham looked lively and could have gone ahead after 30 minutes; Lamine Sakho got to the byline on the right, his cross was inadvertently headed on by Martin Riley to Jones who saw his shot parried by Coleman who grabbed the bal at the second attempt.  Shortly afterwards Harriers had a good opportunity to take the lead; Matt Barnes-Homer's crossfield pass from the left found Duane Courtney who cut inside before shooting just over the bar.  In the last minute of the half Courtney's cross from the right found Robbie Matthews who headed in only for the goal to be disallowed for a foul.

The same Courtney - Matthews combination went close to breaking the deadlock four minutes after the interval; Courtney's cross from deep on the right was headed wide of the far post.  A minute later Harriers took the lead; Lee Baker's cross from deep on the left was headed back across goal by Matthews to Brian Smikle who drilled a volley past Chris Maxwell to record his sixth goal of the season.

Matthews got his first goal in a Harriers shirt, somewhat fortuitously, four minutes later; Smikle had run through the middle of the visitors' defence, his pass was wayward but the attempted clearance found Knights who knocked it against Matthews who didn't know much about it as it spun off his shins and past Maxwell.

By now the visitors were on the back foot completely and Harriers were able to carve through their defences almost at will.  Just past the hour mark there was a scramble on the edge of the penalty area with a defender appearing to handle the ball but no penalty was given and Matthews fired the loose ball over the bar.  In fact Harriers had two good shouts for a penalty turned down in quick succession.

Had Harriers' finishing been better they would have won the game even more comfortably.  A Darryl Knights corner from the right was headed wide of the far post by Martin Riley and in the closing minutes a wayward clearance from Maxwell fell to Barnes-Homer 25 yards out but he fired wide of the unguarded net.  At the other end, when Wrexham did threaten, Coleman was quick to keep them at bay, saving first from substitute Adrian Cieslewicz and then the follow up shot from Marc Williams.