Kidderminster Harriers 1(1) v (0)2 Luton Town

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 10 October 2009

Attendance: 2927

Individual Stats
v Luton
Dean Coleman 60(4)0000[1]Mark Tyler 50(1)0100
Duane Courtney 600010[2]Ed Asafu-Adjaye 500010
Lee Baker 500010[3/23]Freddie Murray 600310
Chris McPhee 510100[7/5]Alan White 500000
Martin Riley 500300[6]George Pilkington 500000
John Finnigan 600100[4/8]Kevin Nicholls 500100
Dean Bennett 701030[8/7]Adam Newton 610020
Darryl Knights 510010[10/14]Asa Hall 503010
Robbie Matthews 400010[21/10]Tom Craddock 51(1)1011
Matt Barnes-Homer 711104[9/24]Ben Wright 51(1)1112
Brian Smikle 61(1)1401[14/16]Rossi Jarvis 51(1)0010
Gavin Caines 500000[5/12]Shane Blackett     
Liam Dolman     [15]Jake Howells 500000
Kyle Hadley 500000[16/17]Ryan Charles 72(1)0110
Aaron Farrell     [18]Claude Gnapka 510010
Nathan Hayward 500000[19/13]Shane Gore     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Luton
13Matt Barnes-Homer76Adam Newton
  90Ryan Charles
CourtneyMcPhee RileyBaker
Bennett   Smikle
 Matthews Barnes-Homer 
Asafu-AdjayeWhite PilkingtonMurray
Newton   Jarvis
 Craddock Wright 
Kidderminster Luton
41  McPhee to right back, Courtney to right central defender.41 JarvisCraddock to left midfield.  Now 4-3-1-1.
45CainesMcPheeCaines to right central defender, Courtney to right back.52GnapkaAsafu-AdjayeGnapka to right back.
45+ MatthewsNow 4-3-1-1.46  Craddock to striker, Hall to left central midfield, Newton to right central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
54HaywardKnightsHayward to left central midfield, Finnigan to right central midfield.  Now 4-4-1.61CharlesCraddockCharles to striker
83HadleyBennettHadley to right midfield.88HowellsMurrayHowells to left back.
Kidderminster Luton
 Matthews 45+ Serious Foul Play Jarvis 41 Serious Foul Play.
Referee: Richard Wigglesworth (South Yorkshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers were defeated by two Luton goals in the last fifteen minutes, including a last-minute winner, that left them ruing missed chances in a dramatic and controversial first half.

The first half was initially good for Harriers, the visitors allowing them plenty of time and space to knock the ball around.  It was the visitors, however, who had the first good chance to open the scoring; Chris McPhee, still in the heart of the defence in an unchanged Harriers side, made a poor clearance that was played back in to Ben Wright who hit his shot on the turn over the bar.

Within a minute Harriers were ahead; Duane Courtney's cross from the right found Matt Barnes-Homer at the near post on the edge of the penalty area, he chested the ball down and spun and hit a low shot across Mark Tyler in The Hatters' goal to record his seventh goal of the season.

Harriers should have built upon their lead, and could have had the game wrapped up long before the drama kicked-off; Lee Baker's cross from the left was flicked on by Barnes-Homer just out of the reach of Robbie Matthews shortly after the goal.  On the half-hour Barnes-Homer's cross from the right picked out Brian Smikle whose goal bound header was well saved by Tyler and when Barnes-Homer fired the loose ball back across goal there was nobody there to apply the finishing touch.  Five minutes before the interval Baker's corner from the right was not cleared and McPhee saw his shot cleared off the line.

Moments later the game was turned upon its head.  Luton midfielder Rossi Jarvis made a needless, reckless, challenge on McPhee on the touchline near midfield and was shown the red card.  McPhee hobbled on for a short while but had to be substituted by Gavin Caines.  In stoppage time at the end of the half Harriers themselves were reduced to ten men when Matthews was adjudged to have stamped on Tyler as he leapt over him as the keeper saved at his feet, the referee possibly influenced by the reaction of Tyler and the baying Luton fans just a few yards away behind the goal.

After the interval Luton began to take control of the game and kept Harriers penned back inside their own half for extended periods of the game.  Ten minutes in Adam Newton's cross from the right was headed wide of the far post by Asa Hall.  At the other end Smikle had a great chance to double the lead on the hour, set up by Dean Bennett he lashed at his shot and blasted it over the bar from a narrow angle.

Freddie Murray set up another chance for Luton as the visitors continued to press but his cross from the left was headed weakly at Dean Coleman by substitute Ryan Charles.  It was no surprise, then, when Town drew level with fifteen minutes still to play; a cross from the left was not cleared properly and fell to Newton who hit a blistering volley that gave Coleman no chance before going in off the bar.

Despite being pegged back for most of the half it seemed that Harriers would at least hold on to take a point but in the last minute they were sunk when Charles met Newton's cross from the right and lifted it past Coleman to send the visiting support into raptures.