Crawley Town 2(1) v (0)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Broadfield Stadium - 23 January 2010

Attendance: 800

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Simon Rayner 6 0(4) 0 0 0 0[1] Dean Coleman 5 0(4) 0 0 0 0
Simon Rusk 5 0 0 1 0 0[2] Duane Courtney 5 0 1 0 3 0
Sam Rents 5 0 0 1 0 0[3] Lee Baker 5 0 0 2 0 0
Glenn Wilson 5 0 1 3 0 0 [16/5] Gavin Caines 6 1(1) 0 0 0 0
Adam Quinn 5 0 0 1 2 0 [21/6] Martin Riley 5 1(1) 0 1 1 0
Thomas Pinault 5 1(1) 0 0 0 0 [10/4] John Finnigan 7 1 0 0 0 0
Barry Cogan 6 1 1 1 2 0 [17/7] Chris McPhee 6 1 1 1 3 0
Ben Smith 5 0 1 1 0 0 [23/10] Darryl Knights 5 0 1 0 0 0
Charles Ademeno 7 4(3) 1 2 0 2 [8/24] Damian Spencer 6 1(1) 1 3 0 1
Eddie Hutchinson 5 0 0 1 1 0 [4/21] Robbie Matthews 5 0 0 0 4 0
Michael Malcolm 5 0 1 2 1 0 [15/14] Brian Smikle 5 0 1 0 2 0
Chris Giles      [5/15] Liam Dolman     
Danny Forrest 5 0 0 0 1 0 [7/16] Kyle Hadley 6 1(1) 0 0 0 0
Lewis Killeen      [14/17] Tom Sharpe     
Calum Willock      [24/19] Nathan Hayward 5 0 0 0 0 0
Nick Jordan      [22/12] Jasbir Singh     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Crawley 7 2 8 6 5
Kidderminster 13 1 3 6 5
Crawley Kidderminster
13 Charles Ademeno 50 John Finnigan
62 Barry Cogan 85 Chris McPhee
Rusk Wilson  Quinn Rents
Cogan Smith  Hutchinson Malcolm
Courtney Caines  Riley Baker
McPhee    Smikle
  Spencer  Matthews 
Crawley Kidderminster
86 Forrest Ademeno Forrest to striker. 46   Spencer to inside-right, Knights to inside-left, Smikle to left central midfield, Finnigan to central midfield, McPhee to right central midfield.  Now 4-3-3.
     73 Hadley Matthews Hadley to inside-right, Spencer to striker.
     84 Hayward Knights Hayward to left central midfield, Smikle to inside-left.
Crawley Kidderminster
   Riley 64 Foul 
Referee: Brendan Malone (Wiltshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Two errors by goalkeeper Dean Coleman proved costly as Harriers had to twice come from behind to earn a point in Steve Burr's first game in charge of the team.

There was only one change to the team that had beaten Lewes in midweek; newly-appointed Assistant-Manager John Finnigan coming in for the injured Dean Bennett, while Robbie Matthews made the starting line-up despite suffering with 'flu all week.

Out to impress the new manager Harriers started brightly, knocking the ball around wee, but it was the hosts who took the lead after 12 minutes by virtue of Coleman's first rick.  A harmless looking long ball was headed back to the keeper by Gavin Caines but after initially gathering the ball into his arms Coleman spilled it at the feet of Charlie Ademeno who was left with the simple task of rolling it into the unguarded net.

The setback knocked the stuffing out of Harriers for a while but they could have drawn level on 20 minutes; Darryl Knights' corner from the right found Caines at the far post but he directed his header straight at Simon Rayner in the home goal.  Damian spencer had a shot parried by Rayner and Town couldn't clear the loose ball properly, it came to Brian Smikle on the left wing who made a good run before crossing across the face of goal with nobody able to get a touch on it.  In stoppage time things could have got worse for Harriers; sloppy defending allowed Michael Malcolm's free-kick from the left was allowed to travel all the way to the far post where former Harrier Glenn Wilson headed wide.

After the interval Harriers had clearly been on the receiving end of Burr's first motivational talk and were more fired up and looked more dangerous with a change of formation to 4-3-3.  Just four minutes were needed to level the scores; Duane Courtney's low cross from the right was only partially blocked and ran to Finnigan who drilled a low shot in off the far post to record his first goal in a Harriers shirt.

Just before the hour mark Matthews' flick on set up Spencer through the inside-left channel but his shot went wide of the far post, taking a deflection on the way to win a corner.  At the other end Coleman went some way to atoning for his earlier mistake with a superb save from Thomas Pinault, although the Frenchman had been allowed far too much space in the centre of the park before letting fly from 25 yards or more.  Harriers didn't learn, however, as two minutes later they allowed Ademeno too much space to hit a long range shot that Coleman parried back into the goalmouth and was too slow to react before Barry Cogan fired in the loose ball.

The visitors kept plugging away, to their credit, despite this second self-inflicted setback.  On 76 minutes Caines' cross from deep on the right was knocked down by Spencer beyond the far post back to Chris McPhee who fired over the bar from outside the penalty area.  Soon afterwards a Knights corner from the right found Martin Riley who headed straight at the keeper.

With a little over five minutes remaining Harriers drew level again.  McPhee picked up the ball in the inside-right position and cut inside; the home defence backed off him and allowed him space to hit a 20-yard shot that took a deflection to leave Rayner flat-footed in the home goal and able to only watch helplessly as the ball flew past him into the net.