Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (1)2 Ebbsfleet United

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 2 March 2010

Attendance: 1163

Individual Stats
v Ebbsfleet
Ross Atkins 5 0(2) 0 0 0 0 [30/1] Lance Cronin 8 0(8) 0 0 0 0
Duane Courtney 5 0 0 0 0 0 [2/5] Dean Pooley 5 0 0 0 2 0
Lee Baker 7 2(2) 0 0 0 0[3] Jordan Collins 5 0 0 1 1 0
Gavin Caines 6 0 0 1 1 0 [5/22] Leon Crooks 5 0 0 1 0 0
Martin Riley 6 0 0 3 1 0 [6/24] Darius Charles 5 0 1 2 2 0
John Finnigan 7 1(1) 0 1 1 0 [4/15] Alex Stavrinou 5 1(1) 0 1 1 0
Chris McPhee 7 2(2) 1 0 0 0 [7/27] Peter Holmes 6 1(1) 1 0 1 0
Darryl Knights 9 1 0 1 1 2 [10/16] Ricky Shakes 5 0 0 0 1 0
Robbie Matthews 5 0 0 1 2(1h) 2 [21/8] Magno Vieira 5 0 0 0 0 0
Brian Smikle 9 3(2) 2 3 1 5 [14/9] Moses Ashikodi 6 1 1 0 2 0
Dean Bennett 6 0 1 2 0 0 [8/23] Stefan Bailey 5 0 0 1 1 0
Marc Goodfellow 6 1(1) 0 0 0 0 [9/2] Will Salmon 5 0 0 2 0 0
Tom Sharpe      [17/4] Gavin Heeroo 5 0 0 0 0 0
Marcus Bignot      [22/11] Ishmael Welsh     
Adam Boyes 5 1 0 0 3 0 [26/12] Scott Ginty 6 1 1 1 1 1
Jasbir Singh      [12/14] Kane Wills     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 10 9 7 11 4
Ebbsfleet 12 1 0 4 4
Kidderminster Ebbsfleet
5 Darryl Knights 36 Moses Ashikodi
77 Brian Smikle 69 Scott Ginty
Courtney Caines  Riley Baker
  McPhee Finnigan Bennett 
  Knights Matthews Smikle 
Pooley Crooks  Charles Collins
  Holmes Stavrinou Bailey 
Shakes    Ashikodi
Kidderminster Ebbsfleet
60 Goodfellow Finnigan Goodfellow to left wing, Knights to right wing, Smikle to striker.  Now 4-2-4. 18 Ginty Vieira Ginty to striker.
63 Boyes Matthews Boyes to striker. 46 Salmon Crooks Salmon to right back, Pooley to right central defender.
     76 Heeroo Stavrinou Heeroo to central midfield.
Kidderminster Ebbsfleet
Boyes 75 Foul  Pooley 48 Foul
Cronin 90+ Time Wasting
Referee: Andy Madley (West Yorkshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers stretched their unbeaten run to nine games, but the curse of the Manager-of-the-Month award meant that their three-game winning  streak was ended.

Steve Burr was presented with the award for February before the start of an entertaining game that he sent an unchanged team out for.  The only change to the sixteen, in fact, was the addition of new loan signing Adam Boyes on the bench in place of James Lawrie who was away on international duty with Northern Ireland Under-21s.

As at the weekend Harriers got off to a flying start and took the lead after just four minutes; leading scorer Brian Smikle got away on the left and crossed to the near post where Darryl Knights was allowed acres of space to head past Lance Cronin in the United goal to record his second goal in as many games.

The visitors played their part in the game and over the next few minutes could have got themselves back into it with long range shots from Peter Holmes and Alex Stavrinou that Ross Atkins was able to save fairly comfortably.  At the other end Smikle could have doubled the advantage; bringing down Gavin Caines' long ball with one touch he hit his shot straight at Cronin.

Harriers were playing some exhilarating football, with excellent passing carving the Ebbsfleet defence open again and again.  One such passing move ended with Dean Bennett sending Knights away on the right wing, his cross to the far post was aimed for Robbie Matthews but he lost his footing and was unable to connect.  Then, Lee Baker sent a low cross from the left across the face of goal just ahead of Smikle.

United soon made Harriers pay for wasting the chances that they were creating; a counter-attack on the right saw Holmes chip a cross towards the far post where Moses Ashikodi was in too much space and able to volley past Atkins.  Harriers were knocked out of their stride for a while by this setback but could have regained the lead before the break when Bennett's corner from the left fell to John Finnigan who fired at Cronin from the edge of the penalty area.

The second half continued in a similar vein with Harriers playing some of their best football of the season.  Baker should have done better with a free-kick early in the new half that beat the wall but didn't have enough power to trouble Cronin.  Shortly before the hour mark a cross from the right was headed down by Matthews towards Caines but Darius Charles cleared before he could get his shot in.  Moments later another incisive Harriers move saw Matthews and Knights feed the ball to Chris McPhee whose low cross set up Smikle but Cronin was alert to block him.

United again made Harriers pay for the wastefulness midway through the half; pouncing on a poor clearance substitute Scott ginty despatched a shot past Atkins to put the visitors ahead and on their way to a possible fifth consecutive away win.  Harriers made changes with both Boyes and Marc Goodfellow coming on to boost the attack.  Goodfellow's cross from the left found Knights beyond the far post, he probably could have taken the shot himself but instead laid the ball back to Boyes but he committed a foul and play was brought to a halt.

The scores were leveled again with 14 minutes remaining; a long ball through the middle was flicked on by Boyes to Smikle who bided his time before planting his shot past Cronin to take his total for the season to 12.

In the closing minutes it was all Harriers; a long ball out of defence by Caines picked out Knights on the right flank, he played it inside to McPhee who turned well and hit a low shot that Cronin saved.  In stoppage time another long bal from Caines found Boyes who helped it on to Goodfellow, he in turn found Smikle who hit a shot wide of the far post.  Even deeper into time added on Martin Riley carried the ball forward and set up Goodfellow, his pass inside found Boyes who took it around Cronin but his shot was cleared off the line by Jordan Collins with Smikle set to pounce.  From the corner former Ebbsfleet player McPhee rose well to head goalwards but somehow Cronin managed to get across to grab the ball and save a point for his team.