Kidderminster Harriers 2(0) v (1)1 Gateshead

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 5 October 2010

Attendance: 937

Individual Stats
v Gateshead
Danny Lewis     [1] Tim Deasy     
Lee Vaughan      [2/24] Michael Kay     
Mike Williams     [3] Paul Heckingbottom     
Michael Briscoe      [16/5] James Curtis     
Ollie Thorne      [22/6] Ben Clark     
Jack Byrne      [11/8] Phil Turnbull     
Matt Blair      [17/7] Martin Brittain     
Keith Briggs      [8/4] Kris Gate     
Chris McPhee      [10/19] Gary Mulligan     
Marc Williams      [29/9] Jon Shaw     
Callum Gittings      [18/11] Craig Nelthorpe     
Tom Shaw      [5/2] Craig Baxter     
Mark Albrighton      [6/12] Andy Ferrell     
Lee Morris      [9/18] Nathan Fisher     
Nick Wright      [14/21] James Marwood     
Andy Stevens      [33/20] Mark Cook     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 15 9 2 6 11
Gateshead 15 2 2 5 4
Kidderminster Gateshead
52 Jack Byrne 8 Martin Brittain (penalty)
75 Matt Blair   
Vaughan Briscoe  Thorne Mi. Williams
Blair Briggs  Byrne Gittings
  McPhee  Ma. Williams 
Kay Curtis  Clark Heckingbottom
Brittain    Nelthorpe
  Mulligan  Shaw 
Kidderminster Gateshead
42 Albrighton Thorne Albrighton to left central defender. 57 Fisher Mulligan Fisher to striker.
69 Wright Ma. Williams Wright to striker, Blair to left midfield, Gittings to right midfield. 68 Marwood Nelthorpe Marwood to left midfield.
90 Shaw Gittings Shaw to right midfield. 82 Ferrell Brittain Ferrell to left midfield, Marwood to attacking midfield, Gate to right midfield.
Kidderminster Gateshead
Thorne 39 Foul  Heckingbottom 24 Foul
Shaw 35 Foul
Curtis 61 Foul
Referee: Paul Graham (Manchester)
Match Report by St@tto

Two second half goals helped Harriers come from behind to beat Gateshead and end a two-game losing streak in front of the lowest crowd - just 937 - at Aggborough for a league games since Stalybridge Celtic were the visitors in September 1993.

Following two disappointing defeats on the road Harriers needed to get back to winning ways but that didn't look likely as they fell behind to a penalty from former Harrier Martin Brittain after just seven minutes; Ollie Thorne fouled Kris Gate and Brittain took the spot-kick sending it just beyond the reach of Danny Lewis.

The first half was a poor spectacle from both sides with Harriers struggling in front of goal particularly. Midway through the half Jon Shaw was allowed to turn and shoot but Michael Briscoe was on hand to header clear at the expense of a corner.  At the other end Mike Williams' pass set Jack Byrne free on the left, he pulled the ball back to skipper Keith Briggs who blasted his shot out of the stadium.

Before the interval Matt Blair found Chris McPhee wit a cross from the right but his header looped over onto the roof of the net while for Gateshead Brittain's 25-yard free-kick beat the wall but was held by Lewis..

A half-time rollicking seemed to do the trick for Harriers and they found an extra gear in the second half.  first, though, Shaw pounced on a poor defensive header only to see his shot hit the far post and rebound to safety.  The equaliser came on 52 minutes; Keith Briggs setting up Jack Byrne to score with an angled shot across the face of goal. 

Briggs was the provider again for the winning goal fifteen minutes from the end; a good passing move put the captain in a good position on the right, his low cross to the far post finding Blair who had an easy tap-in his first goal in a Harriers shirt.  In the closing stages Harriers could have made the victory more comfortable with a number of good chances.  On 80 minutes a long ball through the middle of the visitors' defence set Nick Wright clear, he clipped the ball neatly over Tim Deasy but Michael Kay was on the line to clear.

Three minutes later Blair ran free through the inside-left channel and picked out Wright who fired wide across the face of goal and in the last minute Byrne's left wing cross found Callum Gittings at the far post but he fired narrowly wide of Deasy's left-hand post.