Kidderminster Harriers 3(3) v (1)2 Grimsby Town

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 10 October 2010

Attendance: 1587

Individual Stats
v Grimsby
Danny Lewis      [1/38] Richard O'Donnell     
Lee Vaughan      [2/15] Dwayne Samuels     
Mike Williams      [3/19] Bradley Wood     
Michael Briscoe      [16] Steven Watt     
Mark Albrighton      [6/5] Darran Kempson     
Jack Byrne      [11/8] Michael Cummins     
Matt Blair      [17/2] Peter Bore     
Keith Briggs      [8/28] Andrew Wright     
Chris McPhee      [10/18] Danny Carlton     
Lee Morris      [9/17] Alan Connell     
Callum Gittings      [18/29] Rob Eagle     
Tom Shaw      [5/3] Lee Ridley     
Nick Wright      [14/4] Mark Hudson     
Tom Sharpe      [15/6] Scott Garner     
Marc Williams      [29/14] Michael Leary     
Andy Stevens      [33/30] Steve Croudson     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 10 3 4 5 8
Grimsby 16 1 8 4 8
Kidderminster Grimsby
5 Chris McPhee 31 Rob Eagle
11 Matt Blair 70 Alan Connell
35 Matt Blair   
Vaughan Briscoe  Albrighton Mi. Williams
Blair Briggs  Byrne Gittings
  McPhee  Morris 
Samuels Watt  Kempson Wood
Bore Wright  Cummins Eagle
  Carlton  Connell 
Kidderminster Grimsby
64 Shaw Gittings Shaw to left midfield. 7 Garner Watt Garner to right central defender.
80 Wright Byrne Wright to left midfield, Shaw to left central midfield. 74 Hudson Cummins Hudson to left midfield, Eagle to left central midfield.
84 Ma. Williams Morris Marc Williams to striker. 76 Leary Eagle Leary to right central midfield, Wright to left central midfield.
Kidderminster Grimsby
Morris 60 Encroaching at Free Kick
Vaughan 83 Foul
  Kempson 20 Foul
Eagle 45+2 Foul
Wright 59 Foul
Referee: Matthew Bristow (Manchester)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers stretched their unbeaten home run to six games, standing up to a late onslaught by Grimsby to take all three points and record their second home win of the week.

Showing two changes from the team that had beaten Gateshead in midweek - Mark Albrighton coming in for the injured Ollie Thorne and Lee Morris returning in place of Marc Williams - Harriers were quick out of the blocks to take early control of the game. Jack Byrne had already fired over the bar from distance when  the deadlock was broken in the fifth minute; Morris broke clear through the inside-right channel, cutting inside to set up a shooting opportunity for himself, Richard O'Donnell did well to parry that shot but Chris McPhee was on hand to lash the loose ball into the net to record his fourth goal of the season.

Just five minutes alter Harriers were in an even stronger position; Callum Gittings knocked a corner from the left back to Mike Williams, his cross was not cleared properly and fell to Matt Blair on the opposite edge of the penalty area, he despatched a sweetly-struck shot over O'Donnell and into the far top corner of the net.

Blair was key player for Harriers and gave Bradley Wood at left back a torrid time.  Midway through the half he left the full back trailing in his wake to set up Keith Briggs but he shot out of the ground.  The visitors were handed a lifeline on the half-hour mark when a Mike Williams clearance fell kindly to Rob Eagle who rifled a low shot past Danny Lewis to reduce the arrears.  The two-gaol advantage was restored just four minutes late when another Gittings corner, this time from the right, found Byrne at the far post whose goalbound header was headed in from close range by Blair to register his third goal in 50 minutes of playing time.

After the break it would have been difficult for Grimsby to have performed as badly as they had in the first half. They came out for the second fired up and were soon created chances for themselves.  Six minutes into the half a deep cross by Danny Carlton from the right found leading scorer Alan Connell at the far post but he headed across the face of goal and wide.

Connell went close again just three minutes alter, a good turn on the edge of the penalty area was followed by a shot that Lewis did well to get a hand to and turn round the post for a corner.  At the other end Gittings headed down for McPhee who cut inside his marker and fired a shot over the bar.

With twenty minutes left Grimsby reduced the deficit again; Peter Bore crossing from the right to find an unmarked Connell at the near post who headed in.  This set up a frantic finale to the game with the visitors throwing everything forward in search of an equaliser.  They created a number of openings without actually looking like they would find the net, the closest they came was Carlton's shot that was cleared off the line by Lee Vaughan with eight minutes still to play.