Southport 2(2) v (0)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Haig Avenue - 29 October 2010

Attendance: 1447

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Tony McMillan     [1] Danny Lewis     
Chris Lever      [3/2] Lee Vaughan     
Rob Marsh-Evans      [13/3] Mike Williams     
Adam Flynn      [4/16] Michael Briscoe     
Earl Davis      [5/6] Mark Albrighton     
Kevin Lee      [2/11] Jack Byrne     
Paul Barratt      [14/17] Matt Blair     
Michael Powell      [6/5] Tom Shaw     
Chris Simm      [21/10] Chris McPhee     
Matty McNeil      [16/29] Marc Williams     
Matt McGinn      [11/18] Callum Gittings     
Steve Daly      [9/7] Dave Hankin     
Tony Gray      [10/9] Lee Morris     
Robbie Williams      [15/14] Nick Wright     
Liam Blackman      [17/15] Tom Sharpe     
Steve Dickinson      [22/33] Andy Stevens     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Southport 13 1 2 3 6
Kidderminster 13 4 2 5 8
Southport Kidderminster
17 Chris Simm 52 Lee Morris
40 Rob Marsh-Evans 59 Chris McPhee (penalty)
Lever Flynn  Davis Marsh-Evans
Barratt Powell  Lee McGinn
  Simm  McNeil 
Vaughan Briscoe  Albrighton Mi. Williams
Blair Shaw  Byrne Gittings
  McPhee  Ma. Williams 
Southport Kidderminster
56  McMillan  46 Hankin Blair Hankin to right midfield.
58 Dickinson Simm Dickinson to goalkeeper.  Now 4-4-1. 46 Morris Shaw Morris to striker, McPhee to right central midfield.
85 Gray Lever   80   Byrne Hankin to right central midfield, McPhee to central midfield, Gittings to left central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
Southport Kidderminster
Lever 56 Dissent
McGinn 68 Foul
McMillan 56 Professional Foul Gittings 90+1 Foul Byrne 80 Serious Foul Play
Referee: Dean Mohareb (Cheshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers fought back from a half-time two-goal deficit to earn a share of the points in a game that both teams finished with ten men.

A strong wind spoiled the game and forced Harriers, who were showing two changes from the team that had been knocked out of the FA Cup by York in the previous game - Jack Byrne and Marc Williams coming in for Keith Briggs and Lee Morris - onto the back foot in the opening half.  It was a major factor in helping the home team into the lead after 16 minutes. The Harriers defence were undone, as they had been against York, by a long ball straight down the middle of the park; the central defender partnership of Mark Albrighton and Michael Briscoe left it for each other and let in Chris Simm to fire from just outside the penalty area.

Matty McGinn caused problems for the Harriers defence with his long throws and on 27 minutes almost set up a second goal for the home team, his throw from the left headed across the face of goal by Michael Powell. At the other end Harriers' best chance fell to Tom Shaw who fired a 25-yard free-kick over the bar eight minutes before the break.  Two minutes after that the home team doubled their advantage thanks to terrible defending by Harriers; Rob Marsh-Evans was left completely unmarked at the far post to head in Paul Barratt's left-wing free-kick.

Steve Burr changed things around at the break sending on Dave Hankin and Lee Morris. The change paid quick dividends as Hankin's pass put in Marc Williams who set up Morris to head in his first goal for the club six minutes after the interval. On 58 minutes home keeper Tony McMillan brought down Morris and was sent off; after a short delay Chris McPhee sent sub 'keeper Steve Dickinson the wrong way to record his sixth goal of the season..

Harriers dominated the second half and should have won the game, Dickinson saving from Marc Williams with his legs after Morris had knocked the ball down into Williams' path on 72 minutes.  Ten minutes from the end Harriers were reduced to ten men when Jack Byrne was sent off for a late challenge on Chris Lever.

Seven minutes from time Hankin's cross from the right found Mike Williams at the far post but he fired wide.  Then, in stoppage time Dickinson denied Marc Williams again at the expense of another corner and later still into time added on Dickinson saw his clearance charge down by Morris and rebound back over his head and, fortunately for the home team, safely out of play.