Kidderminster Harriers 2(2) v (1)1 Altrincham

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 12 February 2011

Attendance: 2930

Individual Stats
v Altrincham
Danny Lewis      [1/30] Craig Dootson     
Lee Vaughan      [2/6] Shaun Densmore     
Mike Williams      [3/26] Carl Piergianni     
Michael Briscoe      [16/5] Rob Williams     
Mark Albrighton      [6/22] Greg Young     
Tom Shaw      [5/2] James Smith     
Nick Wright      [14/7] Robbie Lawton     
Keith Briggs      [8/17] Wes Baynes     
Sean Canham      [23/8] Damian Reeves     
Chris McPhee      [10/11] Nicky Clee     
Jack Byrne      [11/28] Sam Wedgbury     
Tom Sharpe      [15/4] Marc Joseph     
Matt Blair      [17/9] Michael Twiss     
Callum Gittings      [18/19] Mark Beesley     
Jamille Matt      [20] Sam Hewson     
Andy Stevens      [33/1] Stuart Coburn     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 6 4 6 10 7
Altrincham 13 1 6 3 6
Kidderminster Altrincham
24 Jack Byrne 43 Wes Baynes
37 Nick Wright   
Vaughan Briscoe  Albrighton Williams
Wright Briggs  Shaw Byrne
  Canham  McPhee 
  Williams Smith Young 
Densmore    Piergianni
  Lawton  Wedgbury 
Baynes     Clee
Kidderminster Altrincham
64 Blair Shaw Blair to right midfield, Wright to left midfield, Byrne to left central midfield. 45+2  Piergianni Densmore to left back, Smith to right back.  Now 4-2-3.
74 Gittings Canham Gittings to left midfield, Wright to striker. 75 Twiss Baynes Twiss to striker.
86 Matt Wright Matt to striker. 75 Joseph Lawton Joseph to central defender, Clee to left midfield, Wedgbury to right central midfield, Smith to right midfield, Densmore  to left central midfield.  Now 3-4-2.
     85 Beesley Reeves Beesley to striker.
     90+5   Smith Now 3-3-2.
Kidderminster Altrincham
Briggs 61 Foul
Vaughan 90+1 Unsporting Behaviour
  Lawton 67 Foul
Joseph 88 Foul
Piergianni 45+2 Professional foul
Smith 90+5 Foul and Abusive Language
Referee: Richard Martin (Somerset)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' biggest crowd since November 2009, 2930, saw them record their fifth consecutive home win and stay just a point off the play-offs.

The campaign to fill Aggborough paid off with nearly double the attendance from the previous week's game with Bath turning up aid the cause.

Steve Burr introduced new loanee Sean Canham in attack, and he almost got off to a dream start with a goal in under 40 seconds but the linesman's flag ruled his effort out. Harriers dominated possession in the first half and took the lead on 24 minutes; Lee Vaughan and Nick Wright combined on the right with  the latter picking out leading scorer Chris McPhee who saw his shot on the turn come back off the far post but Jack Byrne was on hand to fire in the rebound from close range.

At the other end Altrincham should have drawn level on the half-hour mark as Wes Baynes' corner from the right found Greg Young who headed over the bar.  Harriers made the visitors pay for that miss seven minutes later; Canham's pass found Wright on the left wing, he cut inside before lashing a shot inside the near post to record his eighth goal of the season.

The first-half action was not done yet, though, as The Robins pulled a goal back two minutes before the break when Harriers failed to clear a throw-in from the left and Baynes was on hand to turn in the loose ball.  In stoppage time Harriers were given a controversial penalty as Carl Piergianni was adjudged to have brought down Wright and as he was the last defender he was sent-off.  Tom Shaw took the penalty and saw it saved by Craig Dootson diving to his right.

After the interval Altrincham made light of their numerical disadvantage and will feel unlucky not to have got themselves back on level terms. Just shy of the hour mark Damian Reeves got into the penalty area on the left, getting to the byline before crossing to the far post where the ball came back off the upright to Baynes who blasted it over the bar.

Shortly afterwards Harriers were thankful to skipper Keith Briggs who headed off the line from Rob Williams' header.  On 64 minutes Harriers introduced Matt Blair and almost immediately he was making an impact; with his first touch he received a pass from Wright and lifted a deft lob over Dootson only to see his shot cleared off the line by Shaun Densmore.

Ten minutes from time Harriers could have wrapped up the game; Callum Gittings' corner from the right found an unmarked McPhee who was unable to control his header and sent the ball over the bar.  In stoppage time there was further controversy as Altrincham were reduced further when James Smith was sent off for foul and abusive language.