Cambridge United 1(0) v (1)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Abbey Stadium - 18 February 2011

Attendance: 1869

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Simon Brown      [30/1] Danny Lewis     
Kevin Roberts     [2] Lee Vaughan     
James Jennings     [3] Mike Williams     
Josh Coulson      [4/16] Michael Briscoe     
Brian Saah      [5/6] Mark Albrighton     
Ricky Wellard      [16/5] Tom Shaw     
Dan Walker      [11/14] Nick Wright     
Luke Berry      [27/8] Keith Briggs     
Adam Marriott      [19/10] Chris McPhee     
Danny Wright      [9/23] Sean Canham     
Conal Platt      [14/11] Jack Byrne     
Dave Partridge      [6/15] Tom Sharpe     
Jordan Patrick      [20/17] Matt Blair     
Sean Jeffers      [22/18] Callum Gittings     
Liam Hughes      [29/20] Jamille Matt     
Danny Naisbitt      [1/33] Andy Stevens     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Cambridge 13 2 5 6 6
Kidderminster 13 5 2 6 7
Cambridge Kidderminster
90+1 Adam Marriott 42 Sean Canham
   91+2 Jamille Matt
Roberts Coulson  Saah Jennings
Walker Berry  Wellard Platt
  Marriott  Wright 
Vaughan Briscoe  Albrighton Williams
Wright Briggs  Shaw Byrne
  McPhee  Canham 
Cambridge Kidderminster
59 Patrick Platt Patrick to left midfield. 46   Shaw to central midfield, McPhee to left central midfield, Byrne to inside left, Wright to inside right.  Now 4-3-3.
70 Jeffers Walker Jeffers to right midfield. 56 Blair Briggs Blair to inside right, Wright to inside left.
80 Hughes Wright Hughes to striker. 81 Gittings Wright Gittings to inside left.
     87 Matt Canham Matt to striker.
Cambridge Kidderminster
Berry 17 Unsporting Behaviour
Marriott 30 Foul
  Albrighton 39 Foul
Shaw 40 Foul
Briscoe 44 Foul
Vaughan 51 Foul
Referee: Carl Berry (Surrey)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers lifted themselves into the play-off places with a dramatic last-gasp victory that stretched their winning run to four games and their unbeaten run to six.  Their stay in the play-off places may be brief, for now, however, as Fleetwood can take their spot with victory over Grimsby Town tomorrow.

Steve Burr named an unchanged side from the one that had beaten Altrincham last time out, meaning that there was no return to the starting line-up for wingers Matt Blair and Callum Gittings.  Despite having lost six of their previous seven games coming into the match, Cambridge started the game with some purpose and within the first quarter of an hour had given Harriers a scare; a long ball through the middle set ex-Histon striker Danny Wright clear but Danny Lewis managed to push his shot around the post for a corner.

The first half became quite scrappy; with their regular wingers on the bench, and Nick Wright and Jack Byrne in unfamiliar wide positions, Harriers lacked any real width and were caused problems themselves down both flanks by United's wide men Dan Walker and Conal Platt.  It was Harriers, though, who made the breakthrough three minutes before the break; Tom Shaw's pass eventually falling to Sean Canham beyond the far post whose shot took a deflection to leave home keeper Simon Brown with no chance of keeping it out.

Before the break United could have levelled the score; awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area Adam Marriott's shot curled over the wall and looked to be heading for the back of the net but for a well-placed Chris McPhee who headed off the line.  The ball fell to Platt who fizzed a shot wide across the face of goal.

The second half followed a similar pattern with United's performance belying their lowly league position and poor form but it was Harriers who were first to threaten a goal, skipper Keith Briggs heading wide at the far post from Mike Williams' left-wing cross.  Briggs didn't last much longer, limping off as a result of a heavy first-half challenge to be replaced by Blair.

Blair began a move that should have seen Harriers extend their lead on 72 minutes; his pass from the left set up Shaw who got into the penalty area and pulled the ball back from the byline to the near post and Canham, but he mis-controlled and was unable to get his shot away.

The game became dramatic as it went into stoppage time; Harriers gave away a needless free-kick just outside the penalty area and despite there being a huge wall Marriott curled his shot around it and into the far corner to give United what appeared to be a share of the points.  Harriers hit straight back, though, and won a corner on the right; Gittings' short ball back to Blair was whipped into the penalty area where Jamille Matt stooped to glance a header into the far corner of the net and break Cambridge hearts.