Kidderminster Harriers 1(1) v (0)0 Wrexham

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 26 February 2011

Attendance: 3028

Individual Stats
v Wrexham
Danny Lewis       [1/21] Chris Maxwell     
Tom Sharpe      [15/2] Curtis Obeng     
Mike Williams     [3] Neil Ashton     
Michael Briscoe      [16/23] Mark Creighton     
Mark Albrighton      [6/15] Frank Sinclair     
Tom Shaw      [5/6] Jay Harris     
Nick Wright      [14/5] Chris Blackburn     
Keith Briggs      [8/7] Gareth Taylor     
Sean Canham      [23/11] Andy Morrell     
Chris McPhee      [10/9] Andy Mangan     
Matt Blair      [17/27] Lee Fowler     
Dave Hankin      [7/4] Marvin Andrews     
Lee Morris      [9/18] Jamie Tolley     
Callum Gittings      [18/19] Jordan McMillan     
Jamille Matt      [20] Nat Knight-Percival     
Andy Stevens      [33/24] Mathias Pogba     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 7 1 4 4 6
Wrexham 15 1 10 2 9
Kidderminster Wrexham
37 Chris McPhee (penalty)  
Sharpe Briscoe  Albrighton Williams
  Briggs Shaw McPhee 
Wright    Blair
Obeng Creighton  Sinclair Ashton
  Blackburn Harris Fowler 
  Taylor Morrell Mangan 
Kidderminster Wrexham
70 Gittings Wright Gittings to left wing, Blair to right wing. 46 Pogba Mangan Pogba to striker.
90+1 Matt Canham Matt to striker. 70 Tolley Fowler Tolley to left central midfield.
90+1 Hankin Blair Hankin to right wing. 80 Knight-Percival Blackburn Knight-Percival to right central midfield.
Kidderminster Wrexham
Sharpe 32 Foul
Shaw 90+2 Dissent
  Blackburn 36 Foul
Ashton 75 Foul
Taylor 83 Unsporting Behaviour
Referee: Rob Merchant (Staffordshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers stretched their unbeaten run to eight games, recording their sixth home victory in a row and moved back up into the play-off positions; with Fleetwood losing at home to bottom club Eastbourne Harriers now have clear space between themselves and the sixth placed team.

With Jack Byrne suspended following his midweek sending-off Tom Shaw returned to the side, the only only change from the team that drew at Darlington.  Steady rain overnight and throughout the morning made the pitch heavy causing difficulties for both teams in playing slick football.  Nonetheless both teams went for it showing that they were both in-form and at the top end of the table.

Because of the conditions the game became something of a midfield battle but it did ebb and flow.  Harriers made the early running and on 21 minutes went close to opening the scoring; Nick Wright's pass along the left wing set Sean Canham free, his cross-cum-shot flew narrowly over the bar.

As the half wore on Harriers began to get on top and skipper Keith Briggs headed into the side netting at the far post from Mike Williams' deep left-wing free-kick on 28 minutes and moments later Matt Blair played a neat one-two with Chris McPhee before breaking into the penalty area and shooting against the post.  When the loose ball was played back into the penalty area Williams fired wide.

At the other end Lee Fowler saw his 20 yard free-kick blocked by the wall, the rebound ran to Curtis Obeng who fired wide.  The electrifying pace of Blair created the opening goal of the game; bursting into the penalty area he was brought down by Chris Blackburn, the referee having no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.  McPhee stepped forward to take the kick and blasted it in off the crossbar to record his 14th goal of the season.

After the break there was less goalmouth action as the conditions took control but Wrexham pushed forward in search of an equaliser and Harriers had to perform a resolute rearguard action to protect Danny Lewis who in the end only had to make one more save by the end of the game.

Wrexham looked much stronger with the half-time introduction of Mathias Pogba; on the hour he was allowed too much room to run at the home goal but once he got into the penalty area he shot wildly wide of the far post.  Harriers created fewer chances in the second period; Briggs tried his luck with a couple of long range efforts and Blair went close after another neat interchange with McPhee but fired over the bar.

The visitors forced a number of corners late in the game, eight in all in the second half, but each time there was a Harriers head or leg there to meet it and clear the danger.  Harriers were able to weather five minutes of stoppage time quite comfortably before the final whistle was greeted by great celebration from the majority of Aggborough's largest attendance of the season.