Kidderminster Harriers 2(0) v (0)0 Southport

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 27 August 2011

Attendance: 1763

Individual Stats
v Southport
Danny Lewis      [1/13] Matt Nemes     
Lee Vaughan     [2] Kevin Lee     
Mike Williams     [3] Chris Lever     
Luke Jones      [4/5] Earl Davies     
Tom Marshall      [6] Simon Grand     
Kyle Storer      [24/8] Alan Moogan     
James Vincent      [8/20] Russell Benjamin     
Jamille Matt      [20/7] Shaun Whalley     
Marc Williams      [10] Tony Gray     
Luke Medley      [17/18] Leon Osbourne     
Scott Phelan      [5/17] Karl Ledsham     
Dave Hankin      [7/4] Steve Akrigg     
Jack Byrne      [11/12] Jon Brown     
Nick Wright      [14/15] Andy Owens     
Tom Sharpe      [15/19] Godfrey Poku     
Dean Lyness      [21/24] Dan Walker     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 15 1 7 7 8
Southport 9 3 4 4 2
Kidderminster Southport
79 Jack Byrne  
81 Marc Williams   
Vaughan Jones  Marshall Mi. Williams
  Vincent  Phelan 
  Matt Ma. Williams Medley 
Lee Davies  Grand Lever
  Benjamin Moogan Ledsham 
Whalley    Osbourne
Kidderminster Southport
60 Byrne Vincent Byrne to right central midfield. 16 Akrigg Grand Akrigg to right central defender, Davies to left central defender.
60 Wright Medley Wright to striker. 61 Walker Osbourne Walker to striker.
84 Hankin Matt Hankin to right wing. 75 Poku GrayPoku to right central midfield, Moogan to left central midfield, Benjamin to right midfield, Whalley to attacking midfield, Ledsham to left midfield.  Now 4-4-1-1.
Kidderminster Southport
Phelan 34 Foul   
Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge (Gateshead)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers recorded their first home win of the season at the third time of asking but had to wait until late in the game to break down the massed defences of the win-less visitors.

Steve Burr changed the team around for the first time this season, bringing in Jamille Matt, Luke Medley and Scott Phelan for their first starts of the season with Jack Byrne on the bench after missing the start of the season through suspension.

The start of the game was scrappy; Southport were determined to at least keep the point that they started with, having yet to taste victory this season, and made themselves hard to break down.  Despite their defensive plan Southport could have taken the lead after 18 minutes when Karl Ledsham's cross from the right found an unmarked tony Gray but his free header was straight at Danny Lewis.

Southport's debutant keeper made a string of saves to keep Harriers at bay.  On 26 minutes he made his first crucial save when he thwarted Luke Jones who rose at the far post to meet Phelan's corner.  Five minutes later Marc Williams turned the ball over the bar from Medley's right wing cross as Harriers began to build pressure on the visitors.

At the other end Shaun Whalley made a good run to the byline on the right but his low cross was out of the reach of Gray.  Nemes made another good save to deny Marc Williams whose first time shot from Phelan's cross was saved by the keeper's legs to keep the scores level going into the interval.

After the break Harriers dominated possession but found it increasingly difficult to break down the visitors.  Seven minutes into the half Harriers should have taken the lead; good work by Matt on the right wing allowed him to set up Lee Vaughan whose low cross found Medley beyond the far post but he wasted the opportunity, shooting tamely and inaccurately wide making it easy for Nemes to smother.

Eventually Harriers made the breakthrough even though Southport had clearly settled for the point and changed their formation to ensure that they kept it.  Kyle Storer's pass found Vaughan on the right wing, he made a surge into the penalty area and pulled the ball back towards substitute Byrne who guided it past Nemes to open the scoring.

Less than two minutes later Harriers made the game safe; still shell-shocked from going behind the visitors were slow to react to a long ball through the inside left channel that found Nick Wright who rolled it forward into the path of Marc Williams who waited for the keeper to commit himself before slotting inside the far post for his first goal of the season.

Byrne could have had another goal for himself with six minutes left; winning the ball from left back Chris Lever he made a good run into the penalty area but then hit a poor shot wide of the far post and Harriers had to settle for a 2-0 win that lifts them up to fourth in the league.