Mansfield Town 0(0) v (3)3 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Field Mill - 24 September 2011

Attendance: 2522

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Alan Marriott     [1] Danny Lewis     
Luke O'Neill      [16/2] Lee Vaughan     
Joe Kendrick     [3] Mike Williams     
Ben Futcher      [26/4] Luke Jones     
Ritchie Sutton      [17/15] Tom Sharpe     
Anthony Howell      [21/11] Jack Byrne     
Lindon Miekle      [24/17] Luke Medley     
Adam Murray      [11/24] Kyle Storer     
Matt Green      [10/20] Jamille Matt     
Ross Dyer      [15/18] Callum Gittings     
Louis Briscoe      [7/14] Nick Wright     
Tom Naylor      [2/5] Scott Phelan     
Jon Worthington      [4/10] Marc Williams     
Paul Connor      [9/16] Michael Briscoe     
Paul Bolland      [14/22] Mickey Demetriou     
Shane Redmond      [23/21] Dean Lyness     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Mansfield 18 3 6 7 4
Kidderminster 12 4 5 9 5
Mansfield Kidderminster
   6 Kyle Storer
   7 Nick Wright
   23 Lee Vaughan (penalty)
O'Neill Futcher  Sutton Kendrick
Miekle Murray  Howell Briscoe
  Green  Dyer 
Vaughan Jones  Sharpe Mi. Williams
  Storer  Byrne 
Medley  Gittings  Wright
Mansfield Kidderminster
32 Worthington Howell Worthington to central midfield. 78 Ma. Williams Medley Marc Williams to left wing, Wright to right wing.
33 Bolland Miekle Bolland to right central midfield, Murray to left central midfield, Dyer to left wing, Briscoe to right wing.  Now 4-3-3. 83 Phelan Gittings Phelan to left central midfield, Storer to central midfield, Byrne to right central midfield.  Now 4-3-3.
69  Briscoe Murray to right central midfield, Dyer to left midfield, Worthington to left central midfield, Bolland to right midfield.  Now 4-4-1. 86 Demetriou Matt Demetriou to left wing, Marc Williams to right wing, Wright to striker.
Mansfield Kidderminster
Worthington 74 Foul Briscoe 69 Serious Foul Play  
Referee: Scott Duncan (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' best performance of the season so far saw them blow away in-form Mansfield and erase the memories of the horror showing at Fleetwood in midweek.

Steve Burr made a number of chances to the side that had lost 5-2 at Highbury; Tom Sharpe came in for his first start of the season while Callum Gittings came back after injury and Nick Wright, Jack Byrne, Jamille Matt and Luke Medley were all recalled.  The changes paid off almost immediately as Harriers took the lead after just six minutes; Gittings' short corner on the right brought Lee Vaughan into the action and his cross to the far post was headed home by Kyle Storer.  The celebrations of the opening goal were still ongoing as Gittings split the home defence wide open with a killer through ball for Wright to race onto before slotting past Alan Marriott in the home goal to double the advantage.

When Mansfield did venture forward they were thwarted by a Harriers defence that stood firm,even when Danny Lewis was beaten; on ten minutes Anthony Howell rose to meet a free-kick from deep on the left but his header was cleared by Storer.  Harriers had the game more-or-less sewn up by midway through the half when they were awarded a penalty after skipper Mike Williams was brought down by Lindon Miekle.  Vaughan took the penalty, sending Marriott the wrong way, to record his second goal in as many games, both from the spot.  Things were going so badly, now, for The Stags that boss Paul Cox made a double substitution on the half hour mark to try to change things around.

After the interval Harriers continued to dominate but had to soak up some early pressure from the home team.  Just three minutes into the half Paul Bolland rattled the crossbar, Lewis grabbing onto the ball as it rebounded out, and then two minutes later at the other end Matt set up Gittings who did the same, the loose ball rebounded to Storer who fired high and wide.

Harriers should have increased their lead further on the hour; a long pass through the inside right channel set Wright clear, he broke into the penalty area but over-hit his pass to Matt at the far post giving his team-mate no chance to reach it.  Shortly afterwards Storer curled a free-kick over the wall and just over the bar.

On 69 minutes things went from bad to worse for Town as Louis Briscoe was sent-off after a bad challenge on Vaughan.  With 15 minutes remaining Mansfield came closest to reducing the arrears; Lewis palmed away a cross from the right to Ross Dyer who saw his shot cleared off the line by former Stag Luke Jones, Jones then cleared Bolland's follow-up effort.  Soon afterwards it was Sharpe who was clearing after Dyer's shot was saved by Lewis.

Late on it was Harriers who looked most likely to add to the score; substitute Marc Williams sent Matt clear through the middle but his shot was saved by Marriott.  Moments later Wright got into the penalty area again, taking the ball round Marriott and sliding it square to debutant sub Mickey Demetriou who had his shot cleared off the line by Ben Futcher.