Kidderminster Harriers 1(1) v (0)1 Grimsby Town

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 27 September 2011

Attendance: 1807

Individual Stats
v Grimsby
Danny Lewis      [1/13] James McKeown     
Lee Vaughan      [2/26] Charlie I'Anson     
Mike Williams     [3] Lee Ridley     
Luke Jones      [4/15] Shaun Pearson     
Tom Sharpe      [15/5] Darran Kempson     
Jack Byrne      [11] Frankie Artus     
Luke Medley      [17/7] Michael Coulson     
Kyle Storer      [24/4] Anthony Church     
Jamille Matt      [20/12] Rob Duffy     
Callum Gittings      [18/8] Craig Disley     
Nick Wright      [14/18] Serge Makofo     
Scott Phelan      [5/2] Gary Silk     
Marc Williams      [10/6] Scott Garner     
Michael Briscoe      [16/21] Andi Thanoj     
Tommy Wright      [25/29] Rob Eagle     
Dean Lyness      [21/39] Anthony Elding     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 21 4 3 10 8
Grimsby 13 2 10 6 8
Kidderminster Grimsby
16 Nick Wright 90+2 Anthony Elding
Vaughan Jones  Sharpe Mi. Williams
  Storer  Byrne 
Medley  Gittings  N. Wright
I'Anson Pearson  Kempson Ridley
  Church Disley Artus 
Coulson    Makofo
Kidderminster Grimsby
59 Ma. Williams Medley Marc Williams to left wing, N. Wright to right wing. 74 Elding Artus Elding to striker, Church to left central midfield, Disley to right central midfield.  Now 4-2-4.
75 T. Wright Matt T. Wright to striker. 85 Silk I'Anson Silk to right back.
79   Storer Byrne to central midfield, Gittings to left central midfield, N. Wright to right central midfield, Marc Williams to striker.  Now 4-3-2.     
85 Phelan N. Wright Phelan to right central midfield.     
Kidderminster Grimsby
Storer 27 Foul
Storer 79 Foul
Gittings 90 Dissent
Storer 79 Persistent Misconduct Duffy 43 Encroaching at Free Kick
Makofo 89 Foul
Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Anthony Elding's goal two minutes into stoppage time denied Harriers all three points from a game that they ended with ten men.

Harriers had begun the game looking to continue where they had left off at Mansfield at the weekend and it looked good for the unchanged side when Nick Wright's surging run through the inside-right channel set up Jamille Matt on 13 minutes, he saw his shot palmed away, though, by Grimsby stopper James McKeown.  It didn't take long for Harriers to break the deadlock though; Wright switched to the opposite flank and made a strong run into the penalty area before firing in his fourth goal of the season to make him Harriers' top scorer.

The home team dominated the possession and the goalscoring chances.  Wright was involved again on 19 minutes firing wide after being set up by Callum Gittings while at the other end Rob Duffy saw his shot saved by Danny Lewis and Michael Coulson was denied by Lewis with the follow up and Town had to settle for a corner.  Despite their domination Harriers had to be content to lead by just the solitary goal at the interval as first Jamille Matt and then Jack Byrne had shots blocked in the last minute of the half.

The Mariners were stronger after the break and kept Harriers pegged back in their own half for substantial spells; just short of the hour mark Serge Makofo was allowed to run for far too long unchallenged but his shot was high and Lewis was able to get a fingertip to it to concede a corner.  Harriers had the occasional foray forward and on 64 minutes could have increased their lead; Gittings' free-kick from the right was headed goalwards by Tom Sharpe, his effort was blocked and Town hacked the ball partially clear, when it came back Marc Williams header was parried as far as Gittings who set up Wright only for his shot to be saved.

Town were enjoying a lot of possession the longer the game wore on; on 74 minutes a good passing move between Makofo, Duffy and Coulson switched play from left to right and ended with the latter having his shot saved.  Things took a turn or the worse for Harriers five minutes later when Kyle Storer was sent off after picking up his second yellow card of the night.

The extra man advantage gave The Mariners a further lift and they threw even more forward.  With ten minutes remaining a quickly taken free kick on the right allowed Makofo to get to the byline, his cross to the near post was headed wide by substitute Anthony Elding.  Coulson made a good run on the right before finding Makofo in acres of space but his shot was blocked by Lee Vaughan.  Town could smell an equaliser by now and went close again when Duffy's free-kick deflected of the defensive wall for a corner.  The pressure finally paid off two minutes into stoppage time when Elding's shot at the near post took a deflection of Sharpe and nestled into the bottom corner of the net.