Vauxhall Motors 4(3) v (2)4 Kidderminster Harriers

FA Trophy Round 1 - Rivacre Park - 10 December 2011

Attendance: 253

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Scott Tynan      [1/40] Nathan Vaughan     
Danny Fearnehough      [2/15] Tom Sharpe     
John Bennett     [3] Mike Williams     
Paul Jones      [5/16] Michael Briscoe     
Tom Hannigan      [4] Luke Jones     
David Mannix      [8/24] Kyle Storer     
Craig Mahon     [7] Dave Hankin     
Mattie Burke      [11] Jack Byrne     
Cole Stockton      [9/20] Jamille Matt     
Leighton McGivern      [12/10] Marc Williams     
Kevin Holsgrove      [10/22] Mickey Demetriou     
John Lawless      [14/2] Lee Vaughan     
Anthony Glover      [15/9] Steve Guinan     
Enzo Benn      [16/14] Nick Wright     
Matt Kasbarian      [17/18] Callum Gittings     
-      [21] Dean Lyness     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Vauxhall 10 1 3 7 5
Kidderminster 10 8 4 7 7
Vauxhall Kidderminster
9 Leighton McGivern 4 Mickey Demetriou
15 Cole Stockton 26 Jamille Matt
45 Tony Hannigan 74 Jack Byrne
54 Cole Stockton 90+3 Nick Wright (penalty)
Fearnehough Jones  Hannigan Bennett
Mahon Burke  Mannix Holsgrove
   N. Vaughan  
Sharpe Briscoe  Jones Mi. Williams
  Byrne  Storer 
Hankin  Ma. Williams  Demetriou
Vauxhall Kidderminster
77 Glover Bennett Glover to left back. 35 L. Vaughan Briscoe L. Vaughan to right back, Sharpe to left central defender, Jones to right central defender.
89 Benn Stockton Benn to central defender, McGivern to striker.  Now 5-4-1. 57 Gittings Demetriou Gittings to left wing.
90+2  McGivern Now 5-4-0. 67 Wright Hankin Wright to right wing.
Vauxhall Kidderminster
Holsgrove 80 Foul
Burke 90+2 Unsporting Behaviour
McGivern 90+5 Foul and Abusive Language Byrne 82 Unsporting Behaviour 
Referee: Ross Joyce (County Durham)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers and Vauxhall Motors have to try again to earn a place in the FA Trophy Second Round after they shared eight goals, in a repeat of the first time the clubs met five years previously.

Nathan Vaughan came into the side for his debut in goal in place of the cup-tied Tony Breeden while skipper Mike Williams returned to the starting line-up after several weeks on the sidelines with injury.  Williams' deputy Mickey Demetriou moved forward into midfield and gave Harriers the perfect start after just three minutes firing in his first goal for the club.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Craig Mahon's cross from the right five minutes later found Leighton McGivern at the far post, his shot taking a deflection on the goal line before nestling in the back of the net.  Things got worse for Harriers on the quarter-hour mark when David Mannix's free-kick from deep on the right found and unmarked Cole Stockton who headed past the stationary Vaughan.

Straight away Harriers could have got back on terms; Dave Hankin's corner from the left found Jack Byrne at the far post who headed back across goal to Luke Jones but his header was straight at Motors keeper Scott Tynan.  At the other end McGivern went close to increasing the lead for the home team, cutting in from the right he saw his 25-yard shot fly just over the bar.

On 26 minutes Harriers levelled the scores; Jamille Matt latching on to a ball through the inside-left channel and powering his way into the penalty area before calmly slotting his shot past Tynan to record his 8th goal of the season and take over as Harriers' leading scorer.  The action for the first half wasn't over yet, though, as McGivern's corner from the left in the last minute of the half found Tony Hannigan whose looping header restored Vauxhall's lead.

Early in the second half Harriers should have drawn level again; Marc Williams made a good run into the penalty area on the right and pulled back the ball to Matt who saw his shot saved, Byrne fired the loose ball over the bar.

Shortly afterwards Vauxhall took control of the game; McGivern's shot from the right was only parried by Vaughan straight into the path of Stockton who had an easy task to roll the ball into the empty net.  Harriers could have reduced the arrears on the hour but Marc Williams headed over from Hankin's corner.

With fifteen minutes remaining Harriers pulled a goal back when Byrne met Lee Vaughan's cross from the right and sent a glancing header beyond Tynan and inside the far post.  The was a golden opportunity for Harriers to equalise three minutes from the end when Mike Williams' header was saved and the loose ball fell to his brother Marc who failed to get his shot on target.

Two minutes into stoppage time an even better chance came the way of Harriers when Danny Fearnehough handled in the penalty area; Nick Wright stepped up to take the spot kick and sent Tynan the wrong way and level the scores.  Even further into stoppage time the home team were reduced to ten men when McGivern was given his marching orders for foul and abusive language, meaning that he will miss the replay.