Lincoln City 1(1) v (0)0 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Sincil Bank - 11 August 2012

Attendance: 2112

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Paul Farman     [1] Danny Lewis     
Daniel Gray      [15/16] Ryan Austin     
John Nutter     [3] Mickey Demetriou     
Tom Miller      [20/5] Exodus Geohaghon     
Andrew Boyce      [5/6] Mike Williams     
Alan Power      [8/21] Keith Briggs     
Luke Daley      [35/17] Ricky Shakes     
Gary Mills      [4/8] James Vincent     
Jamie Taylor      [10/9] Ryan Rowe     
Rob Duffy      [9/18] Callum Gittings     
Adam Smith      [7/14] Danny Pilkington     
Jake Sheridan      [12/4] Kyle Storer     
Vadaine Oliver      [14/7] Jack Byrne     
Nicky Nicolau      [16/10] Anthony Malbon     
Graham Hutchison      [19/11] Marvin Johnson     
Jake Turner      [27/23] Nathan Vaughan     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Lincoln 16 2 5 4 5
Kidderminster 14 2 5 5 6
Lincoln Kidderminster
39 Jamie Taylor  
Gray Miller  Boyce Nutter
Daley Mills  Power Smith
  Taylor  Duffy 
Austin Geohaghon  Williams Demetriou
  Vincent  Briggs 
Shakes  Gittings  Pilkington
Lincoln Kidderminster
64 Oliver Daley Oliver to right midfield. 46 Byrne Demetriou Byrne to right central midfield, Vincent to right back, Austin to left central defender, Williams to left back.
64 Sheridan Smith Sheridan to left midfield. 55 Johnson Gittings Johnson to left wing, Pilkington to attacking midfield.
90 Nicolau Duffy   71 Malbon Shakes Malbon to striker, Pilkington to left wing, Johnson to right wing.  Now 4-2-4.
Lincoln Kidderminster
Taylor 45+3 Unsporting Behaviour  Gittings 8 Foul
Geohaghon 66 Unsporting Behaviour
Referee: Karl Evans (Manchester)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers began their Conference campaign in disappointing fashion, beaten by the only goal of the game by Lincoln at Sincil Bank.

Steve Burr was hampered by suspension, injury and governmental red tape that left him with just 17 players to choose from, although that was better than had been expected 24 hours before kick-off when there were only 16 available.  Anthony Malbon, who has been suffering with a chest infection, made a surprise appearance on the bench.  Making their Harriers débuts were Ryan Austin, new skipper Exodus Geohaghon, Ricky Shakes and Danny Pilkington.

The game was scrappy for long periods with both teams testing each other out in the early stages without really getting anywhere.  Goalmouth incident was at a premium and Harriers took nearly half an hour before they came close to breaking the deadlock; Austin's deep cross from the right found Callum Gittings at the far post but his glancing header went wide.  On 36 minutes Harriers managed their first shot on target but Keith Briggs' effort was a tame one and easy for City 'keeper Paul Farman to deal with.

Sloppy defending cost Harriers the game as City took the lead; Mike Williams hesitated as The Imps played a long ball through the middle, allowing Jamie Taylor to get to it first and he was able to loft his shot over Danny Lewis who had started to come to meet the ball and was stranded in no-man's land.

After the break Harriers were a little better and looked like they might snatch something from the game; the introduction of Jack Byrne at the interval, and the subsequent reshuffle of the defence, tightened things up at the back and the later appearances of Marvin Johnson and Malbon gave them a more cutting edge in attack.

Early in the half Austin went close to a leveller; a 25-yard free-kick was rolled short to the defender who rifled a shot through the wall but straight at Farman.  Just before the hour mark Byrne floated a free-kick over from the left beyond the far post to Johnson who saw his shot from a narrow angle saved.

At the other end Lincoln, who weren't really all that much better than Harriers but had the advantage of the one-goal lead, almost doubled their advantage midway through the half with a free-kick from Alan Power that curled over the defensive wall and narrowly wide.  Harriers were able to take advantage of Geohaghon's long throw and on 71 minutes it almost paid off; his throw from the right was not cleared and eventually fell to Ryan Rowe but his shot was very weak and blocked easily.

City had the last good chance of the game; Gary Mills' free-kick from deep on the left was headed over the bar by Andrew Boyce.  There were still fifteen minutes left to go but the game was dead by now; neither side covered themselves in glory and Harriers will be hoping that they will be able to call upon the services of Malbon from the start, and also Steve Guinan who was missing through injury, in their next game against fancied Luton on Tuesday evening.