Late Leveller Denies Harriers: Harriers 2-2 Curzon Ashton
September 5, 2017

Late Leveller Denies Harriers: Harriers 2-2 Curzon Ashton

A late goal from Curzon meant Harriers threw away two points for the second game in a row.

Harriers went with a team unchanged from that which had drawn with Boston at the weekend and they were quickly on top.  In the opening minutes Harriers should have been ahead; Sam Austin's cross from the right picking out Joe Ironside who headed straight at the keeper.

A Harriers counter-attack shortly afterwards saw Manny Sonupe racing away on the right but a poor touch took the ball away from him and led to him shooting wide of the far post.  A corner from the left minutes later was not cleared by the visitors, Tyrone Williams playing the ball back out to James McQuilkin on the wing, his cross found Ironside but again he headed straight at Cam Mason in the Curzon goal.

As the half wore on Harriers were playing some good football, passing the ball around well, but were lacking the final incisive move, looking like a first goal would lead to them going on to win the game comfortably.  After a good passing run by Austin on the right set up Dan Bradley whose shot from distance was held by Mason Harriers finally made the breakthrough two minutes before the break.  Austin's pass through the inside-right channel set skipper Ryan Croasdale away who broke into the penalty area before shooting beyond Mason.

Five minutes after the break Harriers should have doubled their advantage; Elton Ngwatala's slick footwork outfoxed the visiting defence allowing him to chip a cross to Ironside who headed wide under pressure from two defenders.  Moments later, though, Curzon drew level; a short corner routine on the right led to Max Leonard crossing low to the near post where Matt Regan turned the ball in from close range.

Harriers restored their lead just ahead of the hour mark; Sonupe battled well to keep the ball on the right of the penalty area, playing it back to Austin whose cross found Ironside who this time directed his header over Mason and into the net.

Curzon didn't let their heads drop and looked the most likely to score again; Harriers had Brandon Hall to thank for maintaining their lead, saving from Joe Guest, Niall Cummins and Leonard.  Their pressure finally told in the 89th minute; Guest was allowed to run across the front of the penalty area unchallenged, his ball in to Leonard was laid off to Cummins in far too much space who was able to fire past Hall to level the scores.