Late Comeback Nets Points: Stockport County 1-2 Harriers
October 28, 2017

Late Comeback Nets Points: Stockport County 1-2 Harriers

Joe Ironside's last minute goal gave Harriers victory at Edgeley Park, overturning a half-time deficit.

For the second week in a row Harriers had to contend with difficult weather conditions, another strong wind coming into play and making life difficult for both sides.

With Jimmy O'Connor suspended following his sending-off in the game against Spennymoor Sam Austin came into the side and slotted in at right back with Tyrone Williams moving into the middle as the only change to the starting line-up but there were two academy boys on the bench to fill out the squad in the shape of Cameron Howkins  and Gabriel Danko.

With the wind at their backs Stockport dominated the opening exchanges, Harriers barely getting out of their own half in the first quarter of an hour.  When Harriers did muster an attack James McQuilkin headed over the bar form Joel Taylor's cross.  At the other end Fraser Horsfall cleared off the line to deny Scott Duxbury as the home side looked to take advantage of the conditions.

Harriers best threat in the first half was Austin, attacking on the right wing; twice he combined with Elton Ngwatala, first time his pass was just too far ahead of the Frenchman for him to convert and on the second occassion the midfielder's shot went wide.

Stockport took the lead in the last minute of the half; a long kick by goalkeeper Ian Ormson was flicked on by Jason Oswell for Matt Warburton who was quicker to the ball than Brandon Hall who had rushed out needlessly and slipped it past him into the unguarded net.

After the break Harriers came into the game more despite the wind having dropped somewhat.  A Manny Sonupe cross from the right was head wide at the far post by Andre Wright and after County failed to clear McQuilkin's free-kick Ryan Croasdale hit the post.

The equaliser came after 57 minutes; Austin made a good run on the right to the byline, his cross to the near post found Joe Ironside who beat Ormson with a glancing header.

Austin was involved again midway through the half, his run and cross set up Andre Brown who fired over when he had time and space to have done better.  County's attacks were more sporadic by this time, their best chance of the half fell to Oswell who fired wide when chasing a long pass through the middle.

The introduction of Declan Weeks early in the second half went some way towards Harriers turning the tide of the game and he almost gave them the lead with 12 minutes to go; picking up the ball deep with space to attack he advanced towards the home defence before firing a 30-yard effort just over the bar.

With five minutes left Harriers should have taken the lead; Sonupe's lofted ball into the penalty area caused a scramble from which McQuilkin saw his shot saved and then Croasdale hit his effort onto the roof of the net.  The winner came with just ten seconds of regulation time left; Sonupe attacked on the right, his cross low to the far post was swept in by Ironside for his eighth goal of the season.