Cup Run Coasts To An End: AFC Fylde 4-2 Harriers
November 4, 2017

Cup Run Coasts To An End: AFC Fylde 4-2 Harriers

Sloppy defending cost Harriers dear as they were dumped out of the FA Cup by last season's rivals Fylde.

Two late goals for Harriers gave the scoreline some measure of respectability but the damage had been done early in the second half when the home side took control of the game and raced into a 4-0 lead.

Jimmy O'Connor and James Pearson returned to the Harriers starting line-up after suspension and injury respectively but they were powerless to help as the home side took the lead after just 13 minutes; Luke Burke's cross from the right found Danny Rowe who turned past O'Connor before slotting home past Brandon Hall.

At the other end James McQuilkin's cross from the right was knocked back across goal by Joe Ironside just ahead of O'Connor.  The teams were evenly matched in the first half and Harriers pressed hard for an equaliser; in the last minute of the half McQuilkin's deep free-kick was headed wide by Pearson and then in stoppage time from another McQuilkin free-kick Fraser Horsfall saw his header saved.

The game fell apart for Harriers early in the second half; just two minutes in a low cross from the right was mis-controlled by Pearson and Rowe was on hand to pounce and take the kind of chance that he does not miss.  With 54 minutes on the clock Jonny Smith was allowed to run through the inside-left channel from inside his own half  before cutting inside and firing his shot past Hall and inside the far post.

On the hour O'Connor headed against the bar from McQuilkin's corner and within three minutes The Coasters had increased their lead to four; another Smith run on the left ended with him setting up Sam Finley who fired in from the edge of the penalty area.

Harriers pulled a goal back after 73 minutes; Joel Taylor received a crossfield pass from Elton Ngwatala and cut inside from the left wing before shooting past Jay Lynch in the home goal to record his first goal in a Harriers shirt.

With five minutes to goal Harriers could have reduced the deficit further but Joe Ironside headed against the bar.  Two minutes into stoppage time Ryan Croasdale's cross from the right found Andre Brown who brought the ball down well before volleying past Lynch to reduce the arrears further.