Nine-Man Nuneaton Brushed Aside: Harriers 3-0 Nuneaton Town
December 23, 2017

Nine-Man Nuneaton Brushed Aside: Harriers 3-0 Nuneaton Town

Nuneaton had two players sent-off as Harriers extended their unbeaten run to nine games.

The visitors started the game well, and were probably the better team for the opening twenty minutes or so, quicker into the tackle and pressing Harriers to prevent them from getting their passing game going and denying them possession.

It was a defensive mistake on the half-hour that gifted Harriers the opening goal; a long clearance from Brandon Hall caused hesitation between goalkeeper Dean Lyness and his defence, allowing Manny Sonupe to slip in between and tuck the ball under former Harrier Lyness and into the net.

Five minutes before the break the game began to fall apart for Nuneaton; Tom Elliott was shown the yellow card for a foul on Joe Ironside and two minutes later was shown a second after foul on Sonupe, earning himself an early bath.  In stoppage time at the end of the half skipper Ryan Beswick was shown a red card after a two-footed lunge at Declan Weeks.

Right at the end of the half Harriers should have doubled their lead when Sonupe got to the byline on the left and pulled the ball back to James McQuilkin, making his 100th appearance for the club, who blasted his shot over the bar.

The second goal came seven minutes after the break; Ashley Chambers tripped Joel Taylor in the penalty area and leading scorer Joe Ironside stepped forward to slam his fifteenth goal of the season past Lyness.  Soon afterwards Taylor's cross from the left found McQuilkin at the far post but his volley was blocked on the line by an offside Ironside.

Harriers should have made the margin of victory much wider but found Lyness in the way on multiple occasions saving from Sonupe, Liam Truslove and Lee Vaughan.  Wayward finishing didn't help, either; Sonupe missing the target a number of times and Elton Ngwatala heading across the face of goal.

The third goal finally arrived two minutes from the end; Taylor broke free on the left and his cross was turned in by Truslove, his first goal of the season.  In stoppage time Harriers had the ball in the net once more but Ironside's effort from an Ngwatala cross was ruled out for offside.