Harriers Fall To Yet Another Late Blow: Boston United 3-2 Harriers
March 30, 2018

Harriers Fall To Yet Another Late Blow: Boston United 3-2 Harriers

For the fifth time in the last six games Harriers conceded a last minute goal, ending their three-game unbeaten run.

Top make matters worse for Harriers they had to play the last quarter of the game with ten men after Lee Vaughan was sent-off for a clumsy challenge on Boston's Ashley Hemmings.

Harriers started the game slowly, a short pass by Vaughan almost let in Jake Beesley but Declan Weeks got back to tackle.  At the other end, as Harriers started to take control, Manny Sonupé was a danger on the wing; his cfross from the left knocked down by Dan Bradley found skipper Ryan Croasdale who fired over the bar.

The opening goal arrived on the quarter hour mark; Weeks' corner from the right was headed in from close range at the far post by Bradley, his fifth goal of the season, all in the last four games.

Earlier in the season Harriers visited Boston in the FA Trophy and were undone by their inability to defend corners, throwing away a two-goal lead to draw after conceding from two.  So it was again here; United drew level after 23 minutes; Hemmings' corner from the right was met by the head of Jordan Keane who glanced the ball beyond Brandon Hall.

Shortly afterwards a similar routine gave the home side the lead.  Again it was a Hemmings corner from the right causing trouble in the goalmouth, after a scramble Ben Middleton forced the ball over the line with Harriers appealing in vain for handball.

Harriers could have drawn level in stoppage time; Croasdale's pass sent Bradley into the penalty area on the left but after taking a touch he stabbed the ball wide of the far post.

Midway through the second half Harriers were reduced to ten men when the lively Hemmings tried to get away on the left and was brought down by the stretching Vaughan, the winger making the most of minimal contact to ensure the Harriers man was sent off.

Despite the numerical disadvantage Harriers drew level just four minutes later.  Joe Ironside did well on the left to craft an opening for Croasdale, his initial shot was blocked and his follow-up effort was heading wide until substitute George Waring arrive to turn it in at the far post.

Harriers should have been able to see the game out and take a share of the points back home but in the last minute Hemmings' trickery on the left wing opened them up again, his cross to the far post found substitute Jonathan Wafula who was too strong for Sam Austin got to the ball first to power a header past Hall for the winner.