Harriers Battle To A Draw: Southport 1-1 Harriers
August 28, 2021

Harriers Battle To A Draw: Southport 1-1 Harriers

A physical battle saw Harriers drop their first points of the season but maintain their unbeaten start.

Russ Penn made one change to the side that had beaten Blyth Spartans last time out, bringing in Keith Lowe in place of Omari Sterling and switching the formation to three central defenders.

Harriers got off to a flying start when they were awarded a seventh minute penalty after Jack Bainbridge handled.  Ashley Hemmings took the kick, sending Cameron Mason the wrong way, to take his goal tally for the season to three in three games.

In the early stages Harriers were on top bu the home side forced their way back in to the game.  Midway through the half the visitors had to thank Geraldo Bajrami for a goal-line clearance after Luke Simpson had misjudged a cross and Chris Doyle fired at goal.

There was a good chance for Harriers to double their lead soon after when Sam Austin chased down a lost cause on the left and crossed to the far post where Joe Foulkes headed narrowly over the bar.  Austin was involved again ins stoppage time, his cross from the right deflected away to Keziah Martin who fired wide.

Early in the second half the lively Austin had a cross from the left half cleared to the far side where Foulkes cross back in for Hemmings who hit the bar with his shot.

The home side should have drawn level when Connor Woods made a good run on the right but his cross towards the near post was fired wide by Niall Watson who should have done better.

Midway through the half Woods had another opportunity as he broke a way on the right again but flashed his shot across the face of goal and narrowly wide of the far post.

With 20 minutes remaining the home side drew level in controversial fashion.  The ball was lofted into the Harriers penalty area, Lowe and Marcus Carver challenged for it with the Southport player handling but the referee adjudged it to have been Lowe making contact with the ball and awarded a penalty.  Carver himself took the kick and despatched it confidently past Simpson.

Southport's main tactic through the game had been to launch long throws into the Harriers goalmouth and for the remainder of the match pressed for a winner in the same fashion but the Harriers defence stood firm and were able to see out time and take a point.