Kidderminster Harriers 1(0) v (0)1 Cambridge United

Football League Two - Aggborough - 2 October 2004

Attendance: 2356

Individual Stats
v Cambridge
John Danby 5 00000[15/33]John Ruddy 8 0(5)0000
Shaun Cooper 5 00210[21/20]Dan Gleeson 5 00130
Steve Burton 5 00100[3/5]Adam Tann 5 00110
Chris McHale 6 00400[17/4]Andy Duncan 5 00230
Wayne Hatswell 7 2(1)1210[22/6]Warren Goodhind 5 00100
Dean Keates 7 1(1)1320[11/26]Kingsley M'bome 6 11230
Simon Brown 6 04510[7/25]Ashley Nicholls 5 00240
Lee Jenkins 6 1(1)0200[2/11]Justin Walker 5 00100
Youssou Diop 5 1(1)0121[10/8]Jermaine Easter 5 01071
Ian Foster 6 1(1)0110[16/27]Dennis Oli 5 00023
Richie Appleby 5 02220[14/3]Abdelhalim El Kholti 5 01010
Frédéric Advice     [6/9]Daniel Chillingworth 5 00000
Jesper Christiansen 6 01100[12/15]John Turner 5 00110
Kelvin Langmead 5 00110[24/16]Darren Quinton 5 00020
Steve McMahon      [25/29]Adam Davis      
Daniel Lewis      [1]Shaun Marshall      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Cambridge
67Wayne Hatswell Keates' left-wing corner was met by Hatswell whose header from the centre of the penalty area went under the body of Ruddy. 90Kingsley M'bome The ball was played in from the right to M'bome who lashed it into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.
CooperMcHale HatswellBurton
 Jenkins Keates 
Brown   Appleby
 Foster Diop 
GleesonDuncan GoodhindTann
NichollsWalker M'bomeEl Kholti
 Easter Oli 
Kidderminster Cambridge
65ChristiansenApplebyChristiansen to left wing. 39QuintonWalkerQuinton to right-central midfield.
76LangmeadDiopLangmead to striker.59TurnerOliTurner to striker.
    72ChillingworthGoodhindChillingworth to striker, Tann to left central defender, El Kholti to left back.  Now 4-3-3.
Kidderminster Cambridge
Cooper 7 Foul  M'bome 25 Foul
Duncan 54 Dissent
Quinton 62 Foul
Easter 69 Handball
Nicholls 90+ Foul
Referee: P. Melin (Frimley)
Match Report by St@tto

A goal from Cambridge's Kingsley M'bome 6 seconds from the end of normal time snatched an unlikely point for the visitors who trailed to a Wayne Hatswell goal.

Harriers had dominated the game, particularly in a one-sided first half but failed to capitalise on the string of chances that they created.  Jan Molby sprung a surprise by making changes to the side that lost at Bristol Rovers, leaving out strikers Kelvin Langmead and Jesper Christiansen and partnering Ian Foster and Youssou Diop in attack; Richie Appleby also returned to the side at the expense of Steve McMahon and with no new defender being signed in time for the game, Chris McHale continued at the heart of the defence.

The visitors were quickly pushed back onto the defensive, in the sixth minute a Simon Brown pass put Lee Jenkins in on the right but his shot was straight at Cambridge keeper John Ruddy who deflected it away for a corner with his legs.  Cambridge showed why they are only one place above Harriers in the league with a very disappointing performance that allowed Harriers to try and play their desired passing game.  Despite all of the possession, however, Harriers could not take the chances that they created.  Diop hit a stinging 25 yard drive that Ruddy plucked from under the bar but later on in the half he mis-kicked the ball out of play after good play by Dean Keates had opened up the United defence but the midfielder's shot was pushed away by Ruddy into the path of the giant Senegalese striker.  It was not the only time that he got his feet tangled up in a half that ended with his every touch being jeered by the traveling Cambridge support behind the goal.  Before the break Keates and Shaun Cooper combined to pick out Steve Burton on the left wing and his ball inside found Richie Appleby who, after a good turn, shot over the bar.

The second half continued in a similar fashion; Harriers created plenty of chances, which made a welcome change after recent performances, but were unable to convert them.  Ten minutes into the half a free kick from the left was only half cleared to the edge of the penalty area where Foster met it with a powerful shot that Ruddy, the best player in the Cambridge side by a country mile, did well to tip over the bar for a corner.  Soon after another free kick, on the right this time, taken by Keates evaded everybody in the penalty area and curled just wide of the far post.  Keates, who was having his best game of the season, set up Foster with a pass that left him one-on-one with the keeper but Ruddy won the race to the ball by a fraction and was able to clear.

Eventually the breakthrough arrived, a Keates corner from the left was met by the head of Hatswell and the ball somehow found its way under the body of Ruddy.  Hatswell had another chance later on but Ruddy managed to hold onto it that time.  Ten minutes from the end substitute Jesper Christiansen combined with Foster to put Kelvin Langmead clear, he got to the byline on the left and pulled the ball back low to the near post where Ruddy did well to grab it before Brown could pounce.  In the closing stages Cambridge pushed an extra man forward in attempt to get back into the game; Hatswell was forced into fouling John Turner and from the resultant free kick Abdelhalim El Kholti fired the free kick over the bar.  As the game was about to end United snatched an unlikely, and undeserved, equaliser; Dan Gleeson's throw from the right found M'bome who lashed the ball into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.