Yeovil Town 2(1) v (1)0 Kidderminster Harriers

Football League Two - Huish Park - 7 December 2004

Attendance: 4639

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Chris Weale 5 00000[1/21]Ryan Clarke 7 0(7)0000
Andy Lindegaard 6 10000[16/17]Chris McHale 5 01200
Michael Rose 5 01010[3/23]Jon Beswetherick 5 00100
Scott Guyett 5 00110[17/5]Abdou Sall 6 00020
Terry Skiverton 5 00230[4/22]Wayne Hatswell 6 00100
Colin Miles 5 00110[5/11]Dean Keates 5 01220
Lee Johnson 6 1(1)1020[8/19]Simon Russell 8 00110
Phil Jevons 5 1(1)1110[11/2]Lee Jenkins 5 00060
Kevin Gall 6 1(1)2020[9/25]Darryn Stamp 5 1044(1h)0
Bartosz Tarachulski 6 2(2)0321[18/24]Tom Bennett 5 00300
Darren Way 7 1(1)0700[6/26]Pedro Matias 6 00011
Adam Lockwood 5 00000[2/3]Steve Burton     
Adrian Caceres 5 00100[10/6]Frédéric Advice     
Yemi Odubade     [24/16]Ian Foster 5 00010
Andrejs Stolcers 6 2(1)0010[27/18]Jamie Gleeson 5 10000
Steve Collis      [13/1]Daniel Lewis      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Yeovil Kidderminster
38Andy Lindegaard Way hit a long cross-field pass from the left to Lindegaard on the right wing, he hit a cross-shot from outside the penalty area that went in off the far post. 33Darryn Stamp Matias did well to keep[ the ball in play on the left, he knocked it back to Beswetherick whose cross from the wing was headed in at the far post by Stamp.
83Andrejs Stolcers Beswetherick lost possession in midfield, Johnson played the ball forward to Stolcers who headed past Clarke from inside a crowded penalty area.    
Lindegaard   Rose
 Johnson Way 
 Gall Tarachulski 
McHaleSall HatswellBeswetherick
Russell   Matias
Yeovil Kidderminster
61CaceresMilesCaceres to left wing, Gall to right wing, Jevons to striker, Lindegaard to right back, Rose to left back, Skiverton to left central defender.  Now 4-2-4. 57GleesonMatiasGleeson to left wing.
69LockwoodLindegaardLockwood to right back. 85FosterJenkinsFoster to right central midfield.
81StolcersRoseStolcers to striker, Jevons to left wing, Caceres to left central midfield, Way to right central midfield, Johnson to central midfield, Lockwood to right central defender, Guyett to central defender.  Now 3-3-4. 90+  Sall to striker, McHale to right central defender, Hatswell to central defender, Beswetherick to left central defender.  Now 3-5-2.
Yeovil Kidderminster
  Stamp 5 Dissent
Matias 43 Dissent
Referee: R. J. Olivier (Sutton Coldfield)
Match Report by St@tto

Stuart Watkiss came within eight minutes of starting his reign as Harriers manager with a draw after a battling performance from his new charges looked to have held high-flying Yeovil but sub Andrejs Stolcers struck with his first touch to condemn Harriers to an eighth consecutive defeat.

With only 16 players available to choose from Watkiss had his team selection more or less forced upon him.  He chose to line up in a flexible 4-5-1 formation with Darryn Stamp, playing the last game of his loan spell as the loan striker supported by wingers Pedro Matias and Simon Russell.  At the back Chris McHale returned in place of the departed Shaun Cooper.  Harriers were clearly out to impress their new manager and showed far more determination and commitment than they had of late but it was the home team who were first to threaten a goal.  A free kick obviously worked out on the training ground moved the ball around the wall to top scorer and one-time Harriers target Phil Jevons but he dragged his shot across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

Harriers saw plenty of the ball in the first half although the did little creatively with it.  What they did succeed in doing, however, was silencing the boisterous home crowd and an eerie quiet fell upon Huish Park.  Still it was Yeovil who looked most likely to open the scoring; after half an hour Lee Johnson shot through a crowded penalty area but straight at Ryan Clarke, the keeper only parried it into the path of Bartosz Tarachulski who fired wide but the flag was up for offside against him anyway.

The first goal then came after 32 minutes and it was Harriers who scored it;  Matias did well to keep the ball in play at the byline on the left and he knocked it back to Jon Beswetherick who curled a great cross to the far post where Stamp rose above his marker to head in from close range.  Five minutes later Harriers could have doubled their advantage, Matias played a defence splitting pass into the path of the lively Russell who jinked his way into the penalty area on the left and pulled the ball back across the face of goal, unfortunately for Harriers behind the incoming Lee Jenkins.  Moments later the home team were level, their man-of-the-match Darren Way picking out Andy Lindegaard with a searching cross-field pass and the wing-back scored with a long range shot that went in off the far post.

After the interval the home team had clearly been on the receiving end of a rollicking from their manager Gary Johnson.  They came back out far more lively in the second period and almost snatched the lead within minutes of the restart when the Harriers defence fell asleep and Way found himself unmarked in the penalty area with the ball at this feet; rather than trying to slip it inside the near post where Clarke had left a big gap he tried shooting to the far post and the keeper was able to keep it out with his legs.

Harriers brought on Jamie Gleeson just before the hour in place of Matias and it was the youngster who had Harriers' first chance of the half when Russell squared the ball to him in the penalty area he hit a shot that was blocked by Scott Guyett and then the rebound was cleared off the line by Terry Skiverton.  Harriers' tactics were successful in frustrating the home team and preventing them from playing how they would have wanted.  The Glovers were frustrated to such an extent that after an hour they took off one of their three central defenders and threw on Adrian Caceres, another attacker, and played with four men in attack.  The pressure from the home team increased and Harriers were forced to defend, not always very well.  Way was allowed to run unchecked at the heart of the Harriers defence and was only stopped at the ast moment by an Abdou Sall block; Sall obviously out to create a good impression on the new manager gave his best performance of the season.

At the other end Harriers were still in the game, a long ball out of defence fell to man-of-the-match Russell who created a chance for Dean Keates who was only denied by a last ditch tackle by Way just as he was about to get his shot off.  In the last ten minutes Yeovil threw on yet another attacker and switched to a 3-3-4 formation and within a couple of minutes the pressure finally paid off.  Beswetherick lost possession in midfield and Lee Johnson crossed the ball into the penalty area where Andrejs Stolcers headed home the winner with his first touch since coming on.  In the dying minutes the scoreline could have been made much worse when the Harriers defence disappeared again leaving Stolcers with another chance, his shot was well saved by Clarke who then reacted quickly to beat away Bartosz Tarachulski's follow-up for a corner.