Oxford United 0(0) v (1)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football League Two - The Kassam Stadium - 28 December 2004

Attendance: 5947

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Chris Tardiff 4 00000[1/15]John Danby 8 0(6)0100
Dave MacKay 5 01100[2]Lee Jenkins 7 00010
Matt Robinson 501000[3/23]Jon Beswetherick 600200
Leo Roget 6 1(1)3110[4/8]Simon Weaver 600120
David Woozley 5 01230[6]Johnny Mullins 9 00010
Rob Wolleaston 5 1(1)0110[14/24]Tom Bennett 6 01110
Chris Hackett 6 1(1)0220[7/19]Simon Russell 6 10201
Barry Quinn 5 01040[17/11]Dean Keates 5 01221
Craig Davies 6 1(1)3411[30/12]Blair Sturrock 7 12317
Lee Bradbury 5 1(1)1010[10]Gary Birch 5 01211
Jamie Brooks 5 01000[20/18]Jamie Gleeson 5 00010
Paul Wanless 5 1(1)0110[12/3]Steve Burton     
Mark E'Beyer     [21/7]Chris Beardsley 5 00020
Danny Morgan 5 01111[22/14]Liam Burns     
Lee Molyneaux      [25/16]Ian Foster 5 01110
Bradie Clarke      [23/20]Ryan Clarke      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Oxford Kidderminster
   37Blair Sturrock Capitalised on a defensive mix up and lobbed the keeper from the edge of the area.
   68Simon Russell The ball was played in from the left to Russell with his back to goal, he turned and tucked a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.
MacKayRoget WoozleyRobinson
HackettQuinn WolleastonBrooks
 Davies Bradbury 
JenkinsWeaver MullinsBeswetherick
RussellBirch KeatesGleeson
Oxford Kidderminster
46MorganBrooksMorgan to striker, Bradbury to left midfield. 68FosterGleesonFoster to left midfield.
57WanlessWolleastonWanless to right central midfield, Quinn to left central midfield.70BeardsleyRussellBeardsley to right midfield.
Oxford Kidderminster
Quinn 33 Foul    
Referee: K. Friend (Leicestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

A goal in each half from Blair Sturrock and Simon Russell, along with a clean sheet from the fit again John Danby, were enough to hand Harriers their first away win since beating Scunthorpe on March 16.

With results elsewhere, Cambridge lost at home to Yeovil, going in Harriers' favour, The Reds lifted themselves off the foot of the table.  As promised after the Boxing Day debacle against Swansea City Stuart Watkiss made a number of changes to his team; Simon Weaver and Dean Keates returned from suspension, Danby came back into the side for the first time since October, and Sturrock came in for his first start.  Stepping down were Ryan Clarke, Abdou Sall, Chris McHale and Ian Foster.  Surprisingly, Gary Birch lined up in midfield in a 4-1-4-1 formation and Johnny Mullins moved over from right back to the centre of the defence where he gave an outstanding performance.

Oxford started in lively fashion and before Harriers had had a chance to settle should have opened the scoring; Craig Davies broke away on the right and got to the byline, his cross to the far post found an unmarked Jamie Brooks who fired wide from six yards out.  Harriers were soon in the game, a deep free kick from the right found Sturrock who turned well but fired high and wide.  Sturrock was involved again shortly afterwards, setting up Keates who fired just wide from the edge of the area.  Sturrock was reveling in his lone striker role, his cross from the right was almost deflected in by David Woozley but Chris Tardiff reacted quickly to tip it away for a corner.  At the end of a good Harriers spell a Keates corner from the right found Birch at the far post but he stabbed the ball wide.

The opening goal came nine minutes before the break, the ball was played long through the middle of the Oxford defence, Sturrock capitalised on a mix-up between the defenders to latch onto the ball and lob it over TArdiff from the edge of the area.  Just before the interval United went close to an equaliser, a corner from the right was met by the head of Rob Wolleaston but his header went straight at Danby.

Just after the interval United went close again; a free kick 25 yards out taken by Lee Bradbury beat the wall but was straight at Danby.  United threw everything they had at Harriers, by the end of the game every one of their outfield players had had at least one shot at goal.  The Harriers back-line stood firm, however, and midway through the half they doubled their advantage.  Ian Foster who had only been on the field for a few seconds combined with Sturrock on the left, the latter's cross was blocked and when the loose ball was played back into the penalty area it fell to Simon Russell with his back to goal, he turned well and tucked his shot into the bottom corner of the net for his first ever senior goal.

Harriers could have had more; Keates set Foster clear on the left, his low cross was picked up by Tardiff comfortably as there was nobody in support in the middle.  As time ran out Oxford's attacking became even more frantic.  In the last ten minutes they had a number of clear-cut chances; Chris Hackett's right wing corner was headed over by Leo Roget; a Dave macKay cross at another corner found Roget again but again he missed the target heading wide of the far post and finally in stoppage time he hit a 25-yard shot straight at Danby.