Kidderminster Harriers 1(0) v (2)4 Grimsby Town

Football League Two - Aggborough - 30 April 2005

Attendance: 2390

Individual Stats
v Grimsby
John Danby 3 00000[15/1]Anthony Williams 50(1)0000
Adam Chambers 500310[20/6]Justin Whittle 500110
Billy Jones 500100[14/16]Ronnie Bull 500110
Mark Jackson 500210[28/5]Tony Crane 500200
Wayne Hatswell 500300[22/18]Rob Jones 610100
Dean Keates 60045(1h)0[11/17]Thomas Pinault 500111
Simon Russell 62(1w)1100[19/4]Simon Ramsden 501020
Bertrand Cozic 500000[21/8]Jason Crowe 500321
Mark Rawle 61(w)1040[29/9]Michael Reddy 621155
Chris Beardsley 500000[7/10]Andy Parkinson 610031
John McGrath 500210[23/15]Terry Fleming 500110
Steve Burton 500000[3/11]Stacy Coldicott 501100
Simon Weaver     [8/12]Graham Hockless     
Gary Birch 72(1)2110[10/14]David Soames     
Blair Sturrock 500000[12/25]Glen Downey 500000
Daniel Lewis     [1/30]Nick Hegarty 500020
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Grimsby
46Gary BirchVolleyed in from the edge of the penalty area after being picked out by Dean Keates' free-kick. 8Rob JonesRose unchallenged to head in Bull's deep left wing free-kick.
   13Michael Reddy The ball was played long through the middle for Reddy who muscled Hatswell out of the way before slotting it past Danby.
   48Andy ParkinsonReddy got free on the left and crossed to the near post where Parkinson nipped in to head past Danby.
   78Michael ReddyPicked up the ball on the left, cut inside Jackson and curled a shot into the far corner.
ChambersJackson HatswellJones
RussellCozic KeatesMcGrath
 Rawle Beardsley 
WhittleCrane JonesBull
Ramsden   Fleming
 Reddy Parkinson 
Kidderminster Grimsby
46BirchBeardsleyBirch to striker.72HegartyParkinsonHegarty to striker.
46BurtonJonesBurton to left back. 77DowneyJonesDowney to left central defender.
83SturrockRussellSturrock to striker, McGrath to left central midfield, Keates to central midfield.  Now 4-3-3. 80ColdicottCroweColdicott to right central midfield, Pinault to left midfield, Fleming to left central midfield.
Kidderminster Grimsby
  Reddy 37 Handball  
Referee: B. Curson (Leicestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

The curtain came down on Harriers' spell in the Football League after five mostly enjoyable seasons with yet another disappointing display of Sunday morning defending.

Harriers handed a debut to Adam Chambers who came in at right back in place of Simon Weaver who stepped down to the bench and Simon Russell came into the side in place of the injured Tom Bennett, Mark Rawle continued in attack alongside Chris Beardsley.

After the rubbish served up at Boston in the previous match Harriers began the game in more lively fashion but were behind as early as the eighth minute.  Ronnie Bull lofted a free kick from deep on the left into the penalty area and Rob Jones rose unchallenged at the far post to head past John Danby.  Things went from bad to worse five minutes later; the ball was played long over the Harriers defence and Michael Reddy muscled Wayne Hatswell out of the way before running clear and slotting the ball across Danby and into the far corner.

The game was a real end-of-season affair with neither side looking too special - Grimsby because they didn't have to, Harriers because they were unable to.  The Mariners should have gone further ahead on 25 minutes, a free-kick from deep on the right was nodded down by Justin Whittle to Reddy who lashed it over the bar from six yards out.  Incapable of stringing two passes together Harriers never threatened Anthony Williams, a one-time Harriers target when Ian Britton was in charge, in the Town goal until ten minutes before the break.  The ball was played in from the right to Rawle who turned and hit a shot from the edge of the penalty area that hit the crossbar and was headed behind for a corner.  In the last minute of the half Williams got a feint touch to a Billy Jones cross that was just enough to keep it out of Rawle's reach and concede another corner.

At the interval Harriers made a double switch, Gary Birch came on for the ineffective Beardsley and Steve Burton came on for Jones, his first appearance since the FA Cup tie at Port Vale in November.  The change made paid quick dividends as a free kick from Player-of-the-Year Dean Keates from the left picked out Birch who hit a volley on the turn that gave Williams no chance.  The lifeline was taken away within two minutes when Reddy got to the byline on the left and crossed to the near post where Andy Parkinson nipped in to head past Danby.

Harriers were much better in the second half, although still the poorer team, and at least made an effort to get back into the game.  Keates made a good run through the Town defence on the Harriers left before switching play to the opposite flank and Russell who cut inside his marker but then dragged his shot wide. Rawle battled his way through the Mariners' back line but after controlling the ball with his face hit his shot high and wide. Good skill by Chambers on the right wing created space for him to cross, he found Birch who glanced a header wide of the far post.  The frame of the goal came to Grimsby's rescue again 18 minutes from the end when Russell hit a low 25-yard shot through a crowded penalty area only to rebound off the post.

The rout was completed after 77 minutes, Reddy picked up the ball on the left, cut inside Mark Jackson leaving him for dead and curled a shot inside the far post.  Harriers had one last chance to reduce the arrears; Chambers played the ball forward to Sturrock who knocked it into the path of Birch, stretching he didn't get a decent touch on it and could only lift it over the bar.  The game soon ended, putting the Harriers faithful out of their misery leaving them to face just the trip to Northampton before returning to the Conference.