Kidderminster Harriers 0(0) v (1)1 Tamworth

Football Conference - Aggborough - 1 October 2005

Attendance: 1961

Individual Stats
v Tamworth
John Danby 500000[1]James Dormand 60(1)0000
Gareth Sheldon 500000[14/2]Adie Smith 702230
Steve Burton 500020[3/15]Scott Stamps 500000
Mark Jackson 500310[4/5]Matt Redmile 500230
Daryl Burgess 500010[6]Aaron Brown 601300
Wayne Hatswell 501220[5/8]Graham Ward 500500
Simon Heslop 700030[23/20]James Francis 500000
Taiwo Atieno 503130[18/4]Dave Bampton 510110
Iyseden Christie 600330[9/12]Carl Heggs 610220
Lee Thompson 510212[10/19]Bob Taylor 501121
Laurie Wilson 602110[12/14]Kyle Storer 502000
Wayne Evans     [2/7]Darren Mansaram 500000
Michael Blackwood 51(1)1110[11/16]Mark Cooper     
Simon Russell 500000[15/23]Jimmy Turner 500010
Wayne Graves     [17/25]Tristram Whitman 500210
Gavin Hurren     [21/30]Mark Gayle     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Tamworth
   40Carl Heggs 
Sheldon   Burton
 Heslop Wilson 
SmithRedmile BrownStamps
FrancisBampton WardStorer
 Heggs Taylor 
Kidderminster Tamworth
60BlackwoodThompsonBlackwood to striker.32WhitmanFrancisWhitman to right midfield.
68RussellSheldonRussell to right wingback.64TurnerBamptonTurner to right back, Smith to right central midfield.
    83MansaramHeggsMansaram to striker.
Kidderminster Tamworth
Christie 38 Foul
Jackson 66 Foul
 Redmile 42 Foul 
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northampton)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' slump in form continued with their fourth defeat in five games and the third in a row at home enabling Tamworth to move off the bottom of the league.

Stuart Watkiss made the promised changes to team and formation with 4-3-3 being dropped in favour of a 3-4-3 / 5-2-3 with wing backs; Steve Burton came in for his first start of the season on the left flank, Gareth Sheldon on the opposite side with Lee Thompson and Taiwo Atieno returning in attack.  Out went Wayne Evans, Simon Russell, Michael Blackwood and the suspended Terry Fleming.

Despite the changes to team and tactics there was no real improvement to the performance, Harriers now have the look of a team who don't enjoy playing at home at all.  Lowly Tamworth were not much better and the game was a dour affair for much of the first half and was not until 18 minutes in that either side managed a shot; Tamworth's Dave Bampton hit a long-range effort that cannoned off teammate Carl Heggs and away to safety.

After failing to register a single shot on target in their previous home game Harriers managed a minor improvement to at least this aspect of the game when Lee Thompson's weak volley after 25 minutes was blocked comfortably by man-mountain Matt Redmile before it troubled James Dormand.

At the start of the season Harriers looked fairly solid at the back but more recently the number of goals conceded due to sloppy defending has been on the increase and today was no exception when The Lambs took the lead shortly before the interval; the ball was played over from the right and helped on by former West Brom legend Bob Taylor into the goalmouth where a considerable scramble ensued with a number of chances for Harriers to clear not being taken and Heggs stabbed the ball in from close range.  At the end of the half Harriers went close with a Laurie Wilson free kick that went just over the bar and then Iyseden Christie put Atieno in but he chose to try and chip the ball over Dormand with the outside of his foot and cleared both the keeper and goal.

Early in the second half former Harrier Adie Smith, who was clearly enjoying being back at Aggborough and had had a great reception from the home fans, made a good overlapping run on the right wing and got in a low cross to the near post where Taylor fired wide.  On the hour Harriers stirred themselves into an attack; Simon Heslop's pass put Atieno free but he was quickly closed down by Aaron Brown and his shot was deflected for a corner.  From the corner Wilson's cross found Wayne Hatswell but his glancing header went wide of the far post.

After Wilson had tried his luck with a 30-yard shot that wa short on power and drifted well wide of the far post Harriers conjured the best move of the game on 76 minutes; Heslop exchanged passes with Russell, on for the ineffective Sheldon, and the winger got to the byline on the right and whipped in a great cross that just evaded Christie at the near post and then Blackwood, on for Thompson, at the far.

In the closing minutes Smith should have doubled Tamworth's lead but after battling through the middle of the Harriers defence he shot high and wide.  Then, at the other end, Dormand was forced in to making his first save of the afternoon getting down low to his left to parry Blackwood's shot but there was nobody following up for Harriers and the visitors were able to hold on for the final few minutes and take all three points.  With results elsewhere all being favourable Harriers only slipped one place down the league but more performances like this will see their slide begin to accelerate.