Kidderminster Harriers 0(0) v (0)1 Burton Albion

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 30 December 2005

Attendance: 1749

Individual Stats
v Burton
Daniel Lewis 70(5)0100[13/31]Saul Deeney 70(3)0000
Patrick Flynn 500110[2]Terry Henshaw 600120
Wayne Hatswell 500140[5/4]Andy Corbett 500100
Mark Jackson 510130[4/5]Darren Tinson 500200
Johnny Mullins 60002(1h)0[24/6]Ryan Austin 61(1)0201
Terry Fleming 500020[8/16]Jake Sedgemore 510100
Gareth Sheldon 62(2)0211[14/12]Chris Hall 500310
Russ Penn 500020[20/10]Andy Ducros 61(1)1300
Iyseden Christie 50013(1h)1[9/14]Shaun Harrad 51(1)312(1h)0
Lee Thompson 600000[10/9]Jon Shaw 61(1)1131
Michael Blackwood 600320[11]Keith Gilroy 72(1)0320
Daryl Burgess     [6/7]Darren Stride 500000
Laurie Wilson     [12/8]Dale Anderson 500101
Taiwo Atieno 51(1)0020[18/19]Andy Todd 500110
Gavin Hurren     [21/20]Nigel Clough     
Simon Heslop 500000[23/13]Martin Taylor     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Burton
   66Keith Gilroy 
FlynnJackson MullinsHatswell
SheldonPenn FlemingBlackwood
 Christie Thompson 
HenshawTinson AustinCorbett
HallDucros SedgemoreGilroy
 Harrad Shaw 
Kidderminster Burton
57HeslopPennHeslop to right central midfield.63ToddHallTodd to right midfield.
72AtienoThompsonAtieno to striker.76AndersonHarradAnderson to striker.
    89StrideDucrosStride to right central midfield.
Kidderminster Burton
Hatswell 59 Foul   
Referee: R. Vaughan (Somerset)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers gave another disappointing performance to slump to their first home defeat since early November and allowed Burton their first League win since beating Harriers on their own ground last month.

Martin O'Connor resisted the temptation to make wholesale changes to the team as he had hinted that he may, instead making just one change bringing in Gareth Sheldon for Simon Heslop who dropped down to the bench.  On reflection he decide that he should have made more changes to the team as the eleven that he sent out onto the field showed the same lack of desire and effort that they had in the Boxing Day game against Altrincham and were outfought throughout by the visitors.

With Burton facing an FA Cup tie against Manchester United in just over a week their players were clearly trying to play themselves into the team for that game.  From the start the visitors were up and at the Harriers and were soon on top of the game.  In the opening quarter of an hour they had forced a string of corners: ex-Harrier Andy Ducros was allowed time and space to run at the Harriers defence but saw his shot tipped over the bar by Daniel Lewis and shortly afterwards Shaun Harrad left Wayne Hatswell for dead as he ran through the inside right channel but Lewis pushed his shot around the post, from the corner Jon Shaw headed straight at the keeper.

The rest of the half was scrappy, Albion looked far more dangerous when they had the ball and it was not until six minutes from the end of the half that Harriers managed their first shot on goal; Sheldon found Lee Thompson on the right and then advanced to take the return pass but his low shot was straight at Saul Deeney in the Albion goal and he was able to gather easily.  At the other end Harrad should have broke the deadlock when he received Keith Gilroy's pull-back but he blasted over the bar.

After the break things did not get any better from a Harriers point of view, the home team looked less and less like breaking down the Burton defence.  Just two minutes after the interval Albion should have broken the deadlock; a free kick from deep on the left was not cleared, Jake Sedgemore's shot was cleared off the line by Johnny Mullins and then Harrad jinked his way back into the box before shooting into the side netting.

Harriers could have scored; although their overall performance got worse they did create a couple more chances.  A Terry Fleming corner from the left was flapped at by Deeney at the far post and dropped to Sheldon 20 yards out who shot straight back at the keeper.  Soon afterwards another Fleming corner, this time from the right, found the head of Mark Jackson whose header was blocked by Terry Henshaw.

When the goal eventually came it was as a result of a Harriers mistake rather than Burton good play.  Mullins played the ball back to Lewis who miskicked his clearance straight to Gilroy who fired into the net from the edge of the penalty area.  Late on Harriers could have grabbed an equaliser; Iyseden Christie received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and knocked it into the path of substitute Taiwo Atieno, his shot was parried by Deeney and the loose ball ran behind Christie with nobody else following up to capitalise.