Woking 0(0) v (0)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Kingfield - 7 January 2006

Attendance: 1514

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Shwan Jalal 50(2)0000[1]John Danby 70(3)0100
Simon Jackson 501300[2/24]Johnny Mullins 710010
Paul Watson 500220[17/5]Wayne Hatswell 600120
Jimmy Aggrey 500400[5/4]Mark Jackson 600000
Tom Hutchinson 502010[25/6]Daryl Burgess 600010
Karl Murray 600020[8]Terry Fleming 500110
Steve Ferguson 71(1)0401[15/26]Marc Pugh 600200
Ian Selley 500310[7/20]Russ Penn 61(1)1150
Craig McAllister 61(1)0211[18/14]Gareth Sheldon 61(1)2021
Justin Richards 52(1, 1w)1132[9]Iyseden Christie 600141
Stephen Evans 601010[11]Michael Blackwood 500320
Karim El-Salahi     [3/2]Patrick Flynn     
Neil Smith     [4/10]Lee Thompson     
Chris Sharpling 510000[14/15]Simon Russell 500110
Mark Rawle 500000[20/23]Simon Heslop 500000
Clint Davies     [21/13]Daniel Lewis     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Woking Kidderminster
   68Johnny Mullins 
JacksonAggrey HutchinsonWatson
FergusonSelley MurrayEvans
 McAllister Richards 
MullinsJackson BurgessHatswell
PughPenn FlemingBlackwood
 Sheldon Christie 
Woking Kidderminster
70SharplingEvansSharpling to right midfield, Ferguson to left midfield.87RussellSheldonRussell to attacking midfield.
70RawleMcAllisterRawle to striker.90+HeslopPughHeslop to right midfield.
Woking Kidderminster
Richards 60 Foul
Hutchinson 86 Foul
 Burgess 14 Foul
Hatswell 30 Foul
Sheldon 81 Foul
Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex)
Match Report by St@tto

A backs-to-the-wall defensive performance form Harriers in the second half allowed them to hang on to their lead and give Mark Yates a winning start to his career as manager.

The new manager made few changes to the team that lost at Altrincham in their previous game, Patrick Flynn and Simon Heslop dropped down to the bench to be replaced by Johnny Mullins and Marc Pugh respectively.  John Danby kept his place despite his errors that cost the team the game at Altrincham.

Harriers had a great chance to take an early lead, Gareth Sheldon blasting over the bar in the first minute after pouncing on a wayward backpass but from then on the first half was all Woking and Harriers looked as bad as they have at any time this season.  Justin Richards, the top scorer in the Conference, set Craig McAllister away on the right midway through the half and then galloped forward to get on the end of the cross but his downward header at the far post as tipped over the bar by Danby.

Richards went close again after half an hour heading Ian Selley's corner against the crossbar.  Harriers had another chance late in the half, following their best move, Sheldon knocked the ball down to Iyseden Christie who played it back to him but he curled his shot just beyond the reach of Shwan Jalal in the home goal but also past the far post.

After the break Harriers were far better and had more purpose about them.  Early in the half Sheldon's throw from the right found Mullins whose header was half cleared only as far as Russ Penn but his shot from the edge of the penalty area was saved by Jalal.  At the other end Danby came to Harriers' rescue pushing way McAllister's header from Steve Ferguson's cross.  Midway through the half Woking had a good shout for a penalty turned down when Mark Jackson appeared to handle the ball.

Harriers went close again when Michael Blackwood set up Sheldon whose shot almost deceived Jalal who fumbled it past the post for a corner.  From the resulting corner from the left Terry Fleming's poor cross found Mullins at the near post who volleyed it in for his first goal of the season.  There should have been a further Harriers goal thirteen minutes from the end when a long ball over the top found Christie but his poor first touch allowed Jalal to gather the ball up.

At the other end a scramble in the Harriers goalmouth led to a drop ball in the penalty area, the ball ran to Tom Hutchinson whose shot was cleared off the line by Jackson.  As Woking pressed for an equaliser the Harriers were forced back and the home team looked certain to level the scores.  Their last best chance came five minutes from the end; a corner from the left was not cleared properly and when it was played back in to the danger area Ferguson's header was held on the line by Danby.  Harriers were then able to see out the remaining time and held on for their first away league win since September.