Burton Albion 1(1) v (0)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Pirelli Stadium - 15 August 2006

Attendance: 1830

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Kevin Poole 70(5)0000[30/1]Scott Bevan 50(2)0000
Gary Rowett 503110[2]Jeff Kenna 600120
Aaron Webster 500110[3/21]Gavin Cowan 61(1)0220
Darren Tinson 500200[5/6]Stuart Whitehead 500030
Ryan Austin 501330[6/5]Mark Creighton 500000
Lee Fowler 500110[8/16]Russ Penn 72(1)0630
Andy Corbett 500120[4/18]Brian Smikle 71(1)002(1h)0
Andy Ducros 50232(1h)0[10/7]Jake Sedgemore 601120
Daryl Clare 62(1)0200[9/14]Luke Reynolds 62(2)3221
Shaun Harrad 51(1)0110[14/23]Dwayne Lee 501110
Keith Gilroy 61(w)0200[11]Michael Blackwood 500111
Darren Stride 500030[7/4]Gavin Hurren 500000
Terry Henshaw     [15/8]Dean Sturridge     
Jon Shaw 500010[16/9]Andy White 500000
Steve Scoffham     [18/15]Simon Russell     
Danny Holmes 500000[16/13]Steve Taylor     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Burton Kidderminster
45+Daryl Clare 57Russ Penn  
RowettTinson AustinWebster
CorbettDucros FowlerGilroy
 Clare Harrad 
KennaWhitehead CreightonCowan
Burton Kidderminster
63StrideFowlerStride to right central midfield, Ducros to left central midfield.77HurrenKennaHurren to right back.
74ShawHarradShaw to striker.90+WhiteReynoldsWhite to striker.
84HolmesGilroyHolmes to left central midfield, Ducros to left midfield.     
Burton Kidderminster
Corbett 56 Foul
Stride 76 Foul
 Penn 21 Foul
Sedgemore 66 Foul
Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)
Match Report by St@tto

A battling performance, much improved from that of Opening Day, saw Harriers earn their first point of the season in an entertaining game at the Pirelli Stadium.

Mark Yates made three changes to the side that had lost so convincingly in the first game; out went strikers Dean Sturridge and Andy White along with midfielder Jamie Mcclen and in came Luke Reynolds, Jake Sedgemore and Brian Smikle as Yates switched the formation from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1, possibly with the hope of stopping Burton from playing and ensuring that Harriers picked up at least a point.

Albion started the game the brighter, bouyed by their Opening Day victory at Morecambe, and dominated the first ten minutes.  Better finishing from veteran full back Gary Rowett would have seen them in front in the opening moments of the game.  Harriers soaked up the pressure, however, and a free-kick from deep on the left taken by Michael Blackwood found Smikle at the far post but his snap shot was pushed away by Gary Poole in the Albion goal.  Russ Penn made a run at the heart of the home defence shortly afterwards as Harriers continued to get into the game and he set up Reynolds on the left but his shot went just wide of the far post.  Midway through the half Penn then stung Poole's hands with a 20-yard drive.

Late in the half burton winger Keith Gilroy cut inside and crashed a shot against the bar from 20 yards that had Scott Bevan grasping at thin air and then a great last-ditch tackle by Gavin Cowan denied Daryl Clare as he pounced on the rebound.  With the half set to end all-square Burton took the lead in stoppage time; the ball was played through the middle to Gilroy who flicked it over the Harriers defence to Clare who lashed a volley past Bevan and into the roof of the net from a narrow angle.

In the first minute of the second half Albion went agonisingly close to doubling their advantage; Gilroy's pass through the inside-left channel found Shaun Harrad whose angled shot was tipped away by Bevan for a corner.  After this early scare Harriers began to impose themselves on the game and soon afterwards Smikle set up Reynolds with a defence splitting pass but the striker couldn't control the ball as he was closed down and his shot flew over the bar.

Cowan then should have leveled the scores, rising unmarked at the far post to meet Sedgemore's left-wing free kick but his header was straight at Poole and although the keeper failed to hold on to it there was nobody following up to capitalise on the loose ball.  The equaliser came after 56 minutes; Jeff Kenna's throw from the right was flicked on at the near post by Cowan and rifled in with the help of a deflection by Penn.

At this point Harriers had Burton on the back foot and the introduction of fresh legs may have enabled them to move on and take the lead but Yates kept faith with the players on the pitch.  They continued to dominate the half but the second goal would not come; another Sedgemore free-kick, this time from the right, caused problems in the goalmouth with Ryan Austin making a crucial clearing header and four minutes from the end Sedgemore, again, was provider.  His cross from the left knocked down by Cowan to Reynolds but his shot from the edge of the penalty area was straight at the keeper.  Even the introduction of Andy White in stoppage time could not finally tip the balance in Harriers' favour but they will be happy with their first point of the campaign.