Kidderminster Harriers 0(0) v (1)1 Weymouth

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 26 August 2006

Attendance: 1753

Individual Stats
v Weymouth
Scott Bevan 5 0 0 0 0 0 [1] Aaran Lee-Barrett 8 0(8) 0 1 0 0
Jeff Kenna 6 0 0 3 1 0 [2] Steve Tully 5 0 0 0 1 0
Gavin Cowan 6 2(1) 0 1 0 0 [21/23] Abdul El-Kholti 6 0 1 1 2 0
Stuart Whitehead 5 0 0 0 1(p, h) 0 [6/5] Simon Downer 6 0 0 1 2 0
Mark Creighton 6 1 2 2 0 0 [5/14] Ashley Vickers 5 0 0 0 3 0
Dwayne Lee 6 0 0 1 1 0 [23/8] Ben Smith 5 0 0 0 1 0
Brian Smikle 6 1(1) 0 1 2(1h) 0 [18/7] Nick Crittenden 5 0 0 0 4(1h) 0
Jake Sedgemore 6 0 1 0 0 0 [7/19] Simon Weatherstone 5 0 1 0 1 0
Luke Reynolds 6 1(1) 3 3 1 0 [14/11] Rafael Nade 5 0 1 1 3(1h) 1
Russ Penn 7 3(2, 1w) 2 4 1 0 [16/12] Chukki Eribenne 6 1 0 0 2 1
Michael Blackwood 8 1(1) 2 4 0 1 [11/15] Lee Elam 5 0 0 1 2 0
Gavin Hurren       [4/9] Richard Logan 5 0 0 0 1 0
Dean Sturridge 6 2(2) 0 0 0 0 [8/10] Wayne Purser      
Andy White 5 1 0 0 0 0 [9/18] Tony James 5 0 0 0 0 0
Simon Russell 5 0 0 1 0 0 [15/20] Shaun Wilkinson 5 0 0 0 0 0
Steve Taylor       [13/17] Jason Matthews      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 7 1 16 12 10
Weymouth 22 2 2 1 3
Kidderminster Weymouth
    10 Chukki Eribenne Penalty
Kenna Whitehead   Creighton Cowan
Smikle Sedgemore   Lee Blackwood
Tully Downer   Vickers El-Kholti
Crittenden Weatherstone   Smith Elam
  Nade   Eribenne  
Kidderminster Weymouth
66 Russell Smikle Russell to right midfield. 51 James Downer James to right central midfield.
74 Sturridge Sedgemore Sturridge to striker, Penn to right-central midfield.  Now 4-4-2. 67 Logan Elam Logan to striker, Nade to left midfield.
82 White Reynolds White to striker. 84 Wilkinson Eribenne Wilkinson to defensive midfield.  Now 4-1-4-1.
Kidderminster Weymouth
Whitehead 9 Handball
Penn 43 Foul
  Vickers 14 Foul  
Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers are still searching for their first home points of the season after leaguer leaders Weymouth's resolute rearguard action held on to take the points and maintain their 100% start to the season.

Mark Yates kept faith with the team that had beaten Northwich in the previous game apart from the surprise inclusion of Jeff Kenna who had managed to shake off a hamstring injury.  Also surprising was Yates' decision to play the same formation that he had used away from home with just one man in attack, albeit with greater support from midfield.

Weymouth started the game like a team with the confidence of three straight wins behind them and took the lead after just nine minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Stuart Whitehead handled.  Chukki Eribenne took the kick and sent Scott Bevan the wrong way.  Harriers tried to get back into the game and the lively Michael Blackwood went close with a 20-yard drive that flew just over the  bar.

Midway through the half a corner from the left was met by the head of Mark Creighton at the far post; his header was cleared off the line and Gavin Cowan's follow-up was deflected and tipped over the bar by visiting keeper Aaron Lee-Barrett.  Harriers were playing the better football, knocking the ball around well, but most of it was in  the centre third of the field and not harming the Weymouth defence; the visitor's, however, always looked dangerous with a far more direct approach but they also were not testing the goalkeeper and Bevan did not have another save to make in the half.  The closest Weymouth came to increasing their lead in the first half was Simon Weatherstone's 30-yard drive that whistled past the far post and they also got into the penalty area a couple of minutes later after Creighton's tackle on Eribenne sent the ball towards Rafael nade but Whitehead cleared.

Lee-Barrett kept the Weymouth lead intact late in the half; Jake Sedgemore found Kenna in space and his deep cross from the right fell to Blackwood at the far post who saw his volley blocked by a reflex save from the keeper.  The Terras' keeper was called into action again in stoppage time; Creighton's flick on found Russ Penn whose first header was saved, as was his follow-up, Creighton then lashed the loose ball over the bar.

After the break the game was all Harriers but still they could not break down the Weymouth defence.  The visitors were happy to sit on their lead and kept a mass of bodies back behind the ball at all times.  Luke Reynolds went close with a glancing header from Sedgemore's corner and then shortly afterwards Lee-Barrett got down to save well at the near post from Reynolds shot.

Nade had a golden opportunity to double the lead just before the hour mark when Dwayne Lee's careless pass went straight to the Weymouth man on half-way and he had a clear run through the inside-left channel but shot wide of the far post.  There was controversy a couple of minutes later when Ashley Vickers went down after challenging Creighton in his own penalty area and Harriers played on while he was on the ground; Whitehead's long ball back into the penalty area fell to Brian Smikle whose volley was instinctively saved by Lee-Barrett but the officials awarded a goal-kick to restart after Vickers had received treatment.

As the game wore on Harriers built up the pressure more and more; a ball over the defence set Reynolds clear, he drew the keeper out and played the ball square towards blackwood but Tony James cleared  before he could get a shot in.  Substitutes Dean Sturridge and Simon Russell combined to get Blackwood into position, he got to the byline on the left and pulled a low cross across the face of goal with three players all unable to apply a finish..

In the last minute a Kenna throw from the right was flicked on by Cowan to Sturridge but his point-blank shot was saved again by Lee-Barrett.  In stoppage time a quickly taken free kick by Kenna found Sturridge but he shot straight at the keeper; then, a long kick by Bevan was knocked down to Penn whose blistering 25-yard drive hit the bar.  Harriers threw everything forward, blackwood got to the byline and pulled the ball back into the danger area only for it to be cleared far a corner by Abdul El-Kholti.  The corner from the left found Andy White at the far post but his header was cleared off the line by Weatherstone for yet another corner, and even Bevan came up for it but even he couldn't influence the outcome and the visitors held out to take the points.