Kidderminster Harriers 3(2) v (1)2 Altrincham

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 9 December 2006

Attendance: 14555

Individual Stats
v Altrincham
Scott Bevan 7 0(4) 0 0 0 0 [1] Stuart Coburn 5 0(2) 0 0 0 0
Jeff Kenna 6 0 0 0 0 0 [2/3] Gary Scott 5 0 0 1 1 0
Jonny Harkness 7 1 2 1 0 0 [3/11] Warren Peyton 5 0 0 2 0 0
Gavin Hurren 5 0 0 2 0 0 [4] Peter Band 5 0 0 0 2(1p) 0
Mark Creighton 5 0 1 0 1 0 [5/20] Stephen Rose 5 0 0 0 0 0
Rob Davies 5 0 4 1 0 0 [25/8] Val Owen 5 0 3 3 4 0
Simon Russell 8 1(1) 2 0 0 0 [15/7] Robbie Lawton 5 0 0 0 1 0
Russ Penn 5 0 3 2 2 0 [16/6] Steve Bushell 5 0 0 0 0 0
Iyseden Christie 9 3(1, 1w) 2 1(p) 1 1 [22/9] Colin Little 7 4(2) 2 0 1 0
James Constable 8 1 0 2 4(1h) 0 [26/12] Joe O'Neil 6 1(1) 0 1 0 1
Michael Blackwood 6 0 1 0 0 1 [11/14] Lewis Chalmers 5 1(1) 0 0 0 0
Jake Sedgemore       [7/2] Steve Aspinall      
Andy White       [9/5] Gary Talbot 5 0 0 1 11 1
Luke Reynolds 5 0 1 1 1 0 [14/10] Rod Thornley 5 0 2 0 0 0
Brian Smikle       [18/16] Peter Thomson 5 0 0 0 0 0
Steve Taylor       [13] Richard Acton      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 9 2 3 6 16
Altrincham 10 1 3 6 7
Kidderminster Altrincham
29 James Constable   24 Colin Little  
41 Iyseden Christie Penalty 60 Joe O'Neil  
64 Jonny Harkness     
Kenna Hurren   Creighton Harkness
Russell Penn   Davies Blackwood
  Christie   Constable  
Scott Band   Rose Peyton
Lawton Bushell   Owen Chalmers
  Little   O'Neil  
Kidderminster Altrincham
85 Reynolds Christie Reynolds  to striker. 45 Talbot Rose Talbot to left central defender.
     80 Thornley Chalmers Thornley to left midfield.
     83 Thomson O'Neil Thomson to striker.
Kidderminster Altrincham
   Band 31 Foul
Owen 70 Foul
Scott 90+ Foul
Referee: Roger Vaughan (Somerset)
Match Report by St@tto

Jonny Harkness was the Harriers' match winner for the second time in as many games as they took the points from a five-goal thriller against lowly Altrincham.

Harriers boss Mark Yates named an unchanged side from the one that had won the previous game at Gravesend but they were slow out of the blocks this time around and the opening passage of play was scrappy.  It was not until the 13th minute that they opened up the visitors' defence; Michael Blackwood skipped through on the left, playing a neat 1-2 with Iyseden Christie before making a low cross across the face of goal that was only partially cleared and fell to Rob Davies who blasted his shot over the bar from 20 yards out.

Within a minute Harriers had gone closer; Blackwood was again involved on the left, this time his cross found Christie at the near post who turned the ball against the upright.  The visitors took the lead midway through the half, against the run of play, Joe O'Neil found space on the left flank and crossed low to an unmarked Colin Little who steered it first time past Scott Bevan and into the far corner.

The setback was the wake-up call that Harriers needed and they soon went close with a 25-yard free-kick from Harkness on the right that beat the wall but found the side netting; then a cross from the right by Jeff Kenna found stand-in skipper Russ Penn who headed over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.  The equaliser was not long in coming, however, Kenna's throw from the right was flicked on by Christie at the near post and James Constable rose at the far post to send a looping header over Stuart Coburn in the Alty goal.  Late in the half Harriers should have taken the lead Simon Russell's cross from the right was first mis-hit by Mark Creighton and then fired wide across the face of the goal by Davies.

Controversy surrounded Harriers' second goal five minutes from the end of the half.  Christie ran into the penalty area on the left, skipping past one challenge that was reckless before being blocked by Peter Band and crumpling to the ground.  The referee blew his whistle immediately but then waited several seconds before indicating his decision - many in the ground were expecting the decision to go against Christie for diving - and pointed to the spot.  Christie himself took the penalty and sent Coburn the wrong way to record his ninth goal of the season.  In stoppage time Harriers could have gone further ahead after good build up play by Constable and Christie ended with Russell's low, long-range, shot being pushed away for a corner by Coburn.

After the break The Robins came out looking to get straight back into the game, fired up by their perceived injustice of the penalty incident, and almost drew level in the first few minutes of the half; Bevan did well to block a shot from O'Neil, Gavin Hurren blocked the rebound and then a combination of Bevan and Kenna kept out Little's follow-up.  On the hour Little fired in a free-kick from the right that went round the wall but straight at Bevan.  Their equaliser came moments later; Little got to the byline on the right, beating Russell, and pulled the ball back across the face of goal out to the right wing where it was played back in by Robbie Lawton and O'Neil was on hand to turn it in in the centre of the penalty area.

The score were level for just five minutes as Harriers were awarded a free-kick in the inside-right position 25-yards out was struck by Harkness over the wall and down to the bottom corner of the goal where even though Coburn got his hands on it he couldn't keep it out.  Harriers pressed for more goals and good work from Christie on the right wing, beating the full back, set up a chance for Russell but he curled his shot over the bar.  Moments later Blackwood got to the byline on the left but his cross was headed wide of the near post by Christie.  Penn then wasted a chance, firing over the bar after being set up by Russell.  Despite the addition of over five minutes of stoppage time Harriers were able to hold on, however,  and their second successive league win - just the second time all season that they have managed the feat.